PDA

View Full Version : Weight loss now panicking!

sarab2708
06-09-13, 11:56
Hi all

I'm now having a panic about weight loss ive always been a bit curvier but recently ive noticed me losing a bit of weight, i've lost around 6lbs but i dont know if this is anxiety related or not?
I started taking up swimming last month but ive only done that a few times and havent been for a few weeks so i dont think it would be that?
Really tempted to google but i think it will make me worse lol, help!

hadenough
06-09-13, 12:21
Trust me I am right there with you, if you read my recent posts you will see what I mean. Ive lost loads of weight, not sure how much because Im now too scared to weigh myself. My clothes are all way too big now. Have had various tests done recently and they have all come back fine. People tell me that the constant state of panic Im in will have caused the weight loss (nervous energy) but I do admit that Ive not had much of an appetite lately. Ive really tried to eat this last week or so but still not putting the weight back on.

Im sure the swimming has something to do with it because of course you would burn calories off with the exercise. Ive been advised to try the drinks you can buy which are full of calories. I wasnt able to get Ensure which was recommended so it was suggested that I try the Slimfast shakes but to drink them as well as meals and not instead of. I bought some yesterday and, although I dont like them at all, Im definitely going to give it a go.

Over what time scale did you lose the 6 lbs because if it was over quite a while then thats not a drop to worry about. Are you eating ok?

I hope that youre able to put this worry out of your mind but I do know how hard this can be.

sarab2708
06-09-13, 13:12
Hiya

I am eating ok I thought but looking back it has decreased, have also cut alcohol out of my diet which I think is a factor
Only really noticing the weight loss now but I think its about 2 months the time scale of weight loss which I don't think is too bad but I haven't really been trying to lose weight
This health anxiety is horrific just makes everything seem 10 times worse!
Hope you are ok too....

Fishmanpa
06-09-13, 13:16
Just FYI... 6lbs in two months time is perfectly normal. We normally fluctuate up to 2lbs a day depending on several factors. You're absolutely fine I assure you :)

PeterC
06-09-13, 13:20
Hi Sarah, Don't Panic!!!
you are doing it all right, exercise by swimming is very good for you and the fact you have cut out alcohol is a good thing too and yes you will loose weight, alcohol has saturates in them that your body cannot break down which is why us men get a beer belly lol, I have tried this approach by cutting out beer and wine etc and I can loose 3lb in a couple of days and im only about 12 - 13 stone fluctuating.
Hope your fitness regime goes well for you
Pete:hugs:

sarab2708
06-09-13, 13:33
Thanks everyone!

I just started up swimming as a distraction from my health anxiety really and i have found that it helps definitely!
I think anxiety puts everything out of perspective and you cant see straight sometimes lol

anthrokid
06-09-13, 13:51
Anxiety can definitely cause weight loss. Anxiety causes your nervous system to constantly be on high alert, which uses A LOT of energy. Coupled with that, people suffering from anxiety often eat less than usual without realising, so not only are they burning more energy than usual, they are also consuming less energy than usual. At the peak of my anxiety and panic attacks I lost so much weight that I looked ill. I looked awful. People would comment on it and ask if I was sick or if I had stopped eating.

I found a great way to maintin weight and not lose any more was protien shakes. These are also great if your appetite has been affected by anxiety.

Eyji1
06-09-13, 20:47
Nothing to worry about. If you keep loosing weight for many more months. Then you can start worrying :P