PDA

View Full Version : Norovirus season approaching and I am terrified. :(

Rls1994
06-09-13, 21:54
I am thinking about not going on the emetophobia forum for a while as it just fueled my anxiety and my emet last year. Might do the same with Facebook, too. All I saw last year was people saying they had noro in my area, which made me SUPER anxious!

You see, in 2010/2011 I was fine during the Winter months because I was completely unaware that there was any outbreaks in the UK. Apparently, it was bad in 2008 too, but heard nothing about it. I didn't have the internet back then, though, so I couldn't search it up or anything.

In some way, I wish I never got the internet. :( But then I wouldn't have found this lovely site.

Ugh.. Wish I could just enjoy the Winter months again, and not avoid sites just because of this stupid virus..

ladymage_411
19-09-13, 15:59
Ugh, I feel the same way. Already things are popping up on Facebook that I don't want to see and it just makes me anxious, even though it's just something I read over the internet!

I think you have a good plan, one that I might stick to as well. I try to remove specific posts from my Facebook feed so I don't see them and think about them, but not going on as much might be a much better option.

Rls1994
21-11-13, 17:44
Hi, ladymage! :)

I wouldn't worry too much this season. Apparently, it's no where near as bad as it was last year (even then it wasn't THAT bad).

It's a bit harsh of me and I feel awful 'cause of it, but I have actually deleted people off my Facebook that I know get ill often and always write on there if they are ill. Thing is, even non-emets don't really want to know if someone's been sick all night.

ladymage_411
04-12-13, 01:03
Thanks for the reassurance, it's good to hear. Sometimes I feel like I'm getting overly cautious because I'm washing my hands all the time and using hand sanitizer and all that, but then I think about how I prefer that to catching something.

I don't blame you for deleting people either! As of right now there are a few people on my FB that are talking about having some sort of bug. I don't want to delete them, but I also don't want to know these fine details so I don't think and stress about it so much. I agree, I don't think many people would like to know.

t0rt01se36
04-12-13, 11:04
I am Emetophobic aswell and I'm glad there are others like you who suffer too and understand.

Think I'll sort twitter out too and block certain people who already have said they're sick.

katielouise151
29-12-13, 15:08
Nobody understands how freaked I am about catching the norovirus and I'd do anything to not catch it! I need some ways of calming myself down because otherwise I worry/overthink too much about it and freak myself out. Has anyone got any ideas?:wacko:

Sparkle_
11-01-14, 18:45
I got norovirus in 2010 and it was awful, but only lasted for like 12 hours and then I was okay. Weirdly enough, I used to panic about getting it, but after having it, I'm not so worried. Just my experience and opinions.

bernie1977
11-01-14, 18:58
This is also one of my big fears. I'm constantly washing my hands and use noroclear foam. My partner gets sick of me making him wash his hands all the time and me bleaching everywhere. I've never had it(touchwood) so it's not like I know what to fear and expect. To me vomitting is one of the worse things that could happen

chomer86
04-02-14, 00:29
I know this is a few week old post but I am going crazy! I am so afraid of catching the dreaded NV its taking control of my life. I cant stop myself from googling the latest updates (stupid I know) then spend all night worrying about it. I make myself feel sick with worry most days which in turn makes me panic I might be coming down with it. I wash my hands constantly and use anti viral hand sanitizer and bleach my house as often as I can. Ive had it before and last winter got so sick that the memory is all too fresh. I HATE this time of year!! :((((

hanshan
04-02-14, 03:21
To put things into perspective, around one billion people in developing countries don't have access to clean drinking water. As a result, around one and a half million children under five in developing countries die each year from diarrheal diseases. In developed countries, around 700 children under five die each year from similar causes.

tazismad
10-02-14, 13:28
Hanshan, I agree with you wholeheartedly and it is nowhere near as bad as it is in developing countries where there is limited access to fresh clean water. However, with emetophobia all of your rational thinking goes out the window and all you concern yourself with is the fear of catching the dreaded virus. If it is anything like what my husband had (a very healthy man) it knocked him for 6 for 3 days.

All you can try and do is take the precautions and see what happens. It is going around a present (a friend has caught it from her daughter, so has made me panic slightly) but I am trying to remain positive and clean my hands regularly and thoroughly to limit it. With the flooding as well in certain parts of the country, we all need to be extra hygenic and vigilant.

FullofLife
11-03-14, 05:29
I know this is an older post but I am an emetophobe as well and it is HORRIBLE. I have always had a fear of throwing up but it is just getting worse as I get older. I have full blown panic attacks when I even feel so much as dizzy or nauseous. I have even started developing OCD like thoughts (like maybe if I don't wear my retainer at night I won't get sick or something silly like that). Over the years it even gets to the point of, well I haven't gotten sick in a few years so it is probably about time. Then I spend the entire year worrying about it and making myself feel sick. I started seeing a psychologist for anxiety and I am going to tell her about this but I feel so stupid for having this fear. It is completely getting in the way of my everyday life...I can't even sleep well because I think that if I do get sick it will happen at night because it has happened before. Does anyone have any advice? :(