PDA

View Full Version : advice / help appreaciated by newbie

sofaboy
07-09-13, 12:45
Hi Guys,

I've just joined the site after coming across it while doing some online research on anxiety & panic as my GP has just prescribed me beta blockers for anxiety.

guess i'm after a bit of advice, help, re-assurance on what to do next and my thought processes so far from those who have been through the same thing

i've recently given up smoking using champix, but stopped it due to unpleasant side effects. anxiety being one. i stopped using it 5 weeks ago and the doctor is telling me my symptoms are nothing to do with that now, rather anxiety, and they appear to be getting worse

i'm not getting separate panic attacks per say (although i worried that i will - which i know is the worse thing i can do), more very strong physical effects all day: feeling disassociated, fluey pins & needles all over feeling, tightness in scalp & neck and rest of muscles, feeling incredibly stressed & anxious etc however as i get more worried & scared by these effects ie why am i getting them all day from the moment i wake up and has the the side effects of the medication become permanent, they naturally get worse.

does anybody else gets these feelings all day? there doesn't appear to be any point where i'm not getting them - just varying degree's of intensity.

secondly, i think what has probably happened is i've had side effects from the medication making me anxious, I have now become anxious about feeling anxious, read some horror stories on the internet, and it's becoming a self fulfilling prophecy and now the balling is rolling it is getting worse - does that sound likely?

the beta blockers (1 x 10mg proprnolol three time a day) seem to take the edge off the symptoms a bit but not fully alleviate them. i know it's also not a cure. Would something like CBT hep?

sorry for the long an rambling post, but i'm new to all of this and really want to get on top of it as soon as i can

any help or advice would be really appreciated

Ben

sofaboy
07-09-13, 21:26
Sorry to bump my own post, but I'd really appreciate any if your opinions as I'm getting very worried about the symptoms I'm getting and that I get them all day. Thanks

MRS STRESS ED
07-09-13, 21:41
hi sorry your not good and yes these are all very unpleasant symptoms of anxiety ,and while you are anxious they will stay with you ,its a vicious circle ,I had cbt it was good it helped a lot ,you got to put a lot of work into getting yourself better I had hard struggle but im getting there, give it ago it can help you best of luck :)

Edie
07-09-13, 22:10
Hi Ben, and welcome.

I think what has probably happened is i've had side effects from the medication making me anxious, I have now become anxious about feeling anxious, read some horror stories on the internet, and it's becoming a self fulfilling prophecy and now the balling is rolling it is getting worse - does that sound likely?
Yes, this is pretty much a classic way to develop anxiety. It's beneficial that you can understand what's going on, that will put you one step ahead with any counselling or therapy you try.

the beta blockers (1 x 10mg proprnolol three time a day) seem to take the edge off the symptoms a bit but not fully alleviate them. i know it's also not a cure. Would something like CBT hep?
That's pretty much how it goes. Medication can alleviate the symptoms, so there is definitely a role for medication. CBT or other therapies can teach you coping mechanisms and help change your thought patterns to more healthy ones. It could be a really good idea to ask for CBT/therapy/counselling, as well as the meds.

Speranza
07-09-13, 22:52
Yes, I get a lot of those symptoms and I think CBT could be extremely helpful for you.

maggielea
07-09-13, 23:21
hi giving up smoking has a lot to do with it, when you smoke it takes the edge off any worries, stresses or anxieties that every day life throws our way, its finding a mechanism that works for you a replacement to de stressing, yes the beater blockers will help to reduce in the short term but you wont learn to live with anxiety head on while on them,i find laying down closing my eyes and allowing my body to carryon trembling and beating fast, sweating and all those horrible feelings that go with panics allows my head to rest and helps the feeling to pass more easily, and I just say to myself it will pass, I also use a elastic band technique, I place it on my wrist when I go out and if I start to feel out of control I slap it hard against my wrist the pain shocks me and the panic gos away, another one for pins and needles in my hand cold water and hold them in there till it starts to ease, you will find a way for lessening the thoughts and feeling you are experiencing soon hold on in there.

Maggie x

sofaboy
08-09-13, 09:17
guys,

thanks you so much for your replies and advice. really appreciated.

good to know that what i'm experiencing is par for the course as it were

Ben