PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have un-sympathetic family/friends?

GirlAfraid23
07-09-13, 17:48
My family don't understand my condition at all, despite living with me all these years.

I don't feel supported in any way which saddens me to say the least.
They think my depression is a sign of being "lazy" and "idle". Especially since I have been becoming more inclined to hand my notice in lately.

Does anyone else have this issue?

NR
07-09-13, 18:02
Yes, my mum and dad. Upsetting thing is she suffers from anxiety too and should know better. It's hard work.

Allmydays
07-09-13, 22:01
I think it's very common. My mum was very dismissive until she experienced it herself, and is now very supportive. I think because it can't be seen, people dismiss it easily, and it possibly scares them a bit too.

Doesn't make it any easier though, because if you're anything like me, what you want more than anything is someone unequivocally on your side, non-judgemental, with open ears and a propensity to soak up tears and hugs.

Sparkle1984
07-09-13, 22:09
I think a lot of us have experienced unsympathetic relatives/friends at some point in our anxiety journey. I've had a friend of a friend make unsympathetic remarks to me and now I'm reluctant to tell many people about my anxiety. It is mostly close family members who know about it.

At the end of the day, you have to do what's best for you. Life is too short to be stuck in a job which makes you miserable. People spend such a large proportion of their waking lives at work, so it's important to have a job you feel comfortable with. It's probably unrealistic to say that everyone should have a job they really enjoy, but I think it should at least be one that doesn't make you unhappy.

Allmydays
07-09-13, 22:12
I find the hardest to cope with are those who have been there, who should understand, and are still impatient with you.