PDA

View Full Version : Stress related pains

Frazzle88
07-09-13, 20:19
I've asking myself alot recently whether I'm stressed because I'm in pain or in pain because I'm stressed. I'm sure I'm not alone in this and we all sometimes try to put blame for our physical pain on something more serious thats wrong with us.

What I'd like to do in this thread is for people to discuss the physical effects they feel, that way together we can shed light on them and give ourselves a bit of consolation that what were experienced is going to be the end of us.

For example, I often have servere neck and back pains, increased pulse, bruxism (grinding of teeth) which results in servere jaw, tooth, ear and headaches.

Now its your turn :)

Eyji1
08-09-13, 10:35
I have all of these symptoms when I'm anxious. In addition my diaphragm tightens up so I cant breathe properly, My chest muscles get sore from the perpetual tension, I get headaches and after prolonged periods I feel tired constantly. I loose my appetite and start feeling weak.

What you describe is all very symptomatic of stress. What you're doing is being anxious about bodily stress. What your body is doing by letting you feel all this pain and grinding the teeth is letting you know that you need to take it easier.

Best of luck. Hope you feel better soon.

NE21 worrier
08-09-13, 11:20
I've asking myself alot recently whether I'm stressed because I'm in pain or in pain because I'm stressed. I'm sure I'm not alone in this and we all sometimes try to put blame for our physical pain on something more serious thats wrong with us.

Hey,

It's a debate I've often had in my own head, particularly as my anxiety affects my chest and throat muscles, and sometimes my gut. At my worst, I struggle to take a deep breath and it feels as if my digestive system has completely shut itself down.

For years, I looked for a physical symptom (I'm 29), went to the hospital for an endoscopy and a colonoscopy. For years, my eminently perceptive GP told me I had an anxiety disorder. Eventually, after my first serious panic attack - rather than just generalised anxiety - I had to agree. Actually, I had probably had panic attacks before May 2012 but not paid so much heed to them as they had not kept me up all night in such physical distress.

Anyway, in answer to your question, I would say it's obviously a bit of both but the way to break the cycle is to try and find a way to relax. Easier said than done, of course, but the great Claire Weekes asks us to "accept, accept, accept" and just allow the physical symptoms to happen, no matter how distressing they feel at the time.

Panic relies on adrenaline but there is only so much adrenaline which the body can produce unless the "fire is kept stoked" but worrying about every little sensation. As I've written, it's easier said than done, it's amazing how much hard work relaxing takes, and I still feel a novice at it myself. However, I can see that it works.

Good luck,
Peter

jillyb
08-09-13, 13:06
I have been diagnosed with TMJ (which i guess is what you have) and am asking myself the same question. Has the anxiety and stress really caused this or is it the other way around?! I can't believe the pain in the jaw, hideous nerve pain in teeth and gums etc is all TMJ and then it's a vicious circle of anxiety, tension, muscle spasms, pain, more anxiety, more tension, etc etc ad infinitum. Doc at the hospital just heard my sorry tale of stress/anxiety, prodded me and said TMJ. Much worse since I saw him too ... What's that all about?! Is it because I know I have to relax and can't?! Who knows!

Magic
08-09-13, 15:05
Very interesting post.
I have pain that comes to me from all parts of my body.
one day it might be my feet or toes or legs. it goes away.
Sometimes pain in arms and shoulder and head aches
I have wear and tear in my spine-that is everyday.
I go to a chiropractor. Was once a week, now once a fortnight.
A few weeks ago I had an assessment at the back clinic.
They took photos of me to see what my posture was like
(the picture looks terrible)---anywayone side of my body is slightly
lower than the other. I have hidden the picture.:ohmy:
But I noticed on the bottom of the page there was a tick in the
STRESS box.
It is true-the more you relax the better your pain will go away.
Not in all cases of cause, but I know it to be true with me.
I am going to the back clinic Tuesday evening (all being well)
as the chiropractor is giving a lecture, so hopefully it will be useful

Frazzle88
08-09-13, 15:17
I'm pretty sure it is TMJ the more I think about it. I think that when alot of us are stressed and anxious its sometimes easier to point the physical manifestations at another factor rather than deal with the fact.

I never realised until recently just how much physical pain can be caused by stress. And yes I also get that tightness of the chest. Often convince myself I'm having a heart attack, I guess thats easier than admitting I have mental health issues.

BobbyDog
08-09-13, 20:47
I suffer from bruxism, back and neck pain, the only way to relieve it is to exercise and get rid of the adrenaline build up which has been released because of my GAD.

Eyji1
08-09-13, 22:02
I suffer from bruxism, back and neck pain, the only way to relieve it is to exercise and get rid of the adrenaline build up which has been released because of my GAD.

This is spot on. I can feel a big difference on days that I exercise and days that I don't. I tend to be a lot more anxious on the days without the exercise.

Frazzle88
08-09-13, 23:42
So you are suggesting its a over abundance of adrenaline playing havoc at night? Interesting, It certainly seems very plausible. I may have to put that to he test.

I'd love to get to a point where I'm not constantly checking myself and thinking so internally