PDA

View Full Version : distress intolerance

Twisted_fairytales
09-09-13, 07:15
Hi all =)
I've been having cbt for emetephobia for several weeks now and my therapist, Nick has decided I actually have distress intolerance and just can't bear the feelings of nausea rather than actually vomiting itself. Since I've realised this my anxiety levels went up, then down so much I thought I was cured, then the last week they've gone through the roof again :(. Anyone else suffer with this? I don't know why I feel so anxious, I had a huge flip out at legoland on Saturday ffs! I felt queasy, dry mouth and like I was going to gag. I had to lock myself in the toilet with my ds2 while dh was on a ride with ds1. I cried and told myself to pull myself together and asked god to help me. I took some diazepam and within half an hour I felt ok. I also didn't sleep a wink last nite and my ibs is starting to play up all because I have my first day at uni for a short course. I know the uni well as I trained to be a nurse there and its only going to be 5 hours of form filling and looking around. So why am I letting it worry me? I'm not sure where my anxiety is coming from but its starting to control my life :(

Speranza
09-09-13, 07:48
Has anybody given you this tool to try?

Mentally step back and say, "Oh look at me! I'm having one of those moments where I feel anxious! What's triggered it this time? Oh yeah..." etc.

This works incredibly well for me; it just pulls me out of the situation to observe, enough to pull out of the emotion too.

And when you are feeling fine, remind yourself that it always passes. What is the actual worst that could happen? Worse has happened to people and they have been fine later. x

jayjoe18
09-09-13, 17:51
I've been having CBT but for toilet phobia which is kind of similar. I think it's common to have relapses so don't beat yourself up about it! I think it's also natural to be a little anxious about starting new things, even if they are familiar, so again, don't be too hard on yourself :) How helpful have you found the CBT for your emetephobia if you don't mind me asking?

Twisted_fairytales
10-09-13, 08:17
Thankyou for your kind replies and suggesfions. Speranza I supposs I do try to do this but when I'm in the grip of a panic I find it hard to focus on anything else it seems to overtake my body in an almost physical way. Its frustrating as I know what's caused the panic, but not why :(

Joejoe the cbt has helped me realise my true issues and helped me understand how I think. Its definitely taken the edge off the fear and its not consuming my thoughts every hour of the day as it once did. So it is helping.