PDA

View Full Version : really worried about hospital apt can anyone reasssure me?

mimie
09-09-13, 11:13
Can anyone help calm me?
I have had anxiety for a couple of years and the last year it has been chest pain and breathlessness, my pulse has been racing but my blood pressure is ok- goes up when I have some stress. last week I went to the gp, I have asked for tests before but she convinced me it was anxiety and I did not need them but this time I said I need to have them to be sure it is anxiety and that my heart is ok, she did an ecg, the first was showed strain on the left which she said was probably caused by anxiety. the second ecg she said was fine. Although I do know that my pulse was in the 90's both times probably as I was so anxious. I remember the nurse saying "do not speak after I say "now" as the test will be on" and as soon as she said now I felt my heart race!
I have been given Atenolol which has slowed my pulse from the 80's to 60's. Blood pressure is still good.
Anyway now I have been fast tracked to cardiology and I am so worried - does anybody have any experience or words that will reassure me?
Thank you Mimie x

Annie0904
09-09-13, 11:50
Hi Mimie They will just want to make sure that everything is fine and maybe do some more tests to rule out anything. It is best to have it checked then you will be more reassured. :hugs:

Frazzle88
09-09-13, 12:48
Ive had the same thing. Went in with servere chest and neck pains and was told it may be my heart. Whiches sent my pulse soaring and chest got tighter.

Think of it this way. Theyre just covering all possibilities, they dont know whats going on in your head so they have to try test from the physical symptoms. I spent a night on a cadiac ward, never been so scared but as soon as they said I was fine, I instantly felt better. Hope all goes well, Im sure it will.

AuntieMoosie
09-09-13, 23:53
Just be reassured that you're being well looked after and cared for hun :)

They will probably do some tests just to make sure that all is well :hugs:

mimie
10-09-13, 11:41
Thank you everyone, i guess i have to be brave as so many other people on this forum are.
I cannot understand how anxiety makes your heart race and also how when you don't feel anxious all the time you still suffer with anxiety? The atenolol make me feel more relaxed though, although i hate taking pills, how long do people normally have to take them for?
Have to go to my gp tomorrow morning for blood test results and then chest pain clinic at the hospital on Friday, so will let you know how it goes .xxx

AuntieMoosie
10-09-13, 18:30
I hope it all goes well for you hun :)

I shall be thinking of you on Friday :hugs:

Col
10-09-13, 22:03
Good luck

Frazzle88
11-09-13, 01:49
It makes your heart race because an anxiety reaction floods your body with adrenaline, which speeds up heart rate and breathing, increases blood pressure and well as other things such as, gives you dry mouth, stomach ache due to slowing of digestive system, need to urinates, colours appears more vivid and hearing more acute.

I could go on... Basically its a reaction left over from our ancestors to aid with our 'fight or flight' instints. It prepares the body for action, but when it happens randomly its an uneasy feeling especially when you have no idea why.

mimie
12-09-13, 20:29
thank you for that info - what is the chest pain then is it heart or muscular?, sometimes when I lean over I can feel it and I think it is muscular