PDA

View Full Version : CBT down the drain, don't know what to do now...

jayjoe18
09-09-13, 18:47
I don't know what to do anymore :(

I went to my CBT session last week only to be told when I got there that my therapist wasn't there, apparently they rang and cancelled everyone elses appointment but forgot to contact me and another person!

Anyway, the receptionist said my therapist is in hospital and not likely to be back for a while, up to a month or so. That's fine I thought, I hope she's OK but I was relieved that I didn't have to face the appointments for a while!

Well this morning I received a letter from the mental health services saying that my therapist is going to off for a prolonged period of time and that I have two options:

1. See another therapist temporarily (which would involve me waiting until one becomes available, I waited 8 months for this CBT and I presume this time around it might be even longer as my therapist obviously had other patients who might also be waiting for another therapist. Also, temporarily could mean any length of time , I don't know the reason my therapist is in hopsital but she could be out of work for a long time, meaning by the time she got back I might of already finished so wouldn't see her again anyway. I just think it wouldn't be helpful jumping between one therapist to another, it's going to effect my progress and make things difficult. I also don't want to start all over again with someone new).

2. Opt out of the CBT but I'll be able to be referred again in the future as it's not my fault. So that would be it, start all over again.

So, basically the sessions I've already had have probably been a waste of time, because I'll have to start all over again with waiting for another therapist to become available, getting to know them, them getting to know me, going round the never ending roundabout of explaining my problems and starting from the beginning all over again. Not to mention the increased anxiety all over again. It was already a struggle getting there in the first place.

The thing is, I don't think I made much progress anyway, so I'm not upset, I'm just tierd, I feel like I can't be bothered anymore but I know I need help.

The services available for mental health are pretty poor to be honest, I know it's not their fault what happened to my therapist and I genuinely hope she's OK, but I know I'm going to be waiting months again now, it's going to be next year I bet before I get seen again and I just don't know if I have the energy for it anymore.

I really want to scream, I'm so so so stuck and have been for a long time. I'm sooooo exhausted I don't know what to do.... what should I do??? PLEASE HELP!!!!

nomorepanic
09-09-13, 18:54
Have you tried the self-help CBT programme we recommend on here called CBT4PANIC?

You could also try the No Panic telephone recovery group

jayjoe18
09-09-13, 19:29
I can't speak on the phone because of my anxiety (typical!) but I'll look at the CBT4PANIC thanks

xvolatileheart
10-09-13, 14:02
I'm really sorry to hear that. :( Obviously it's not anyone's fault but it's so unfortunately that after waiting that long, you have to start over.

I'm reading a book on Mindfulness and I'm actually finding it more helpful than my CBT course. There are also some great self-help tools online which have exercises, videos, audio, etc which you may find helpful.

Maybe you should put yourself on the list to wait for another therapist to become available, then try out the online tools or books in the meantime, then you can decide when the opportunity arises whether you'd like to try CBT again or not.

jayjoe18
16-09-13, 12:41
Thanks everyone. I'm still really undecided on what to do, I wish recovery was simple!

Mark13
16-09-13, 18:35
As mentioned above, self-help books, if you're focussed enough, can be a great help.

I understand, however, that actually speaking about your problems face-to-face can be a better focus as they guide you through it.

I've read mindfulness books, and am currently reading one on ACT (Acceptance & Commitment Therapy).

Such books may help you, but I'd certainly give the CBT a shot, even if you have to wait a while.

Jacsta
16-09-13, 18:45
How many session of cbt have you had? if you have had a few, how are you finding it? is it helping? if so then get another cbt therapist. If you find you aren't getting anywhere with cbt then try something else.

Its a shame what has happened but don't let this beat you down. There are a lot of self help things to help and you WILL get there, you are just taking the scenic route xx

ankietyjoe
17-09-13, 09:57
I'll add in another +1 for mindfulness and meditation

The latter I have found to be an immensely powerful tool, far more so than anything else I've tried.

Tessar
01-10-13, 20:41
Thanks everyone. I'm still really undecided on what to do, I wish recovery was simple!

Did u decide what to do in the end?

Anxious_gal
01-10-13, 20:52
Something like that happened me when I was desperate for therapy. It was the one thing I was looking forward to, a ray of hope only to find out after one session the therpist had to leave. Sucks too as I couldn't afford to go private.