PDA

View Full Version : Bad start to the week - stomach anxiety before work

NE21 worrier
09-09-13, 22:04
Hello everyone,

Anxiety is a horrible little thing, isn't it? Every now and then I feel as if I've got it cracked (posted in the Success Thread recently), and then I get knocked down again by a bad start to the week :sad:

As I left the house today, the muscles around my chest and stomach seemed to have a vice-like grip and I felt choked up as I left the house. I live with my parents still and just wanted a big hug off my mum like I was a kid on his first day at school.

I didn't do that, although my mum is very supportive of me, but sent a text message of concern to my mum at work:

Hate to say but it seems to be work-related - I'm generally more relaxed on a weekend morning (unless I have matchday anxiety). It seems strange but I feel as if I still have a fundamental lack of self-belief that I can do this job, or at least do it to the required standard in terms of call times.

This lack of belief is despite plenty of evidence to the contrary and the fact that, by first break as even today in fact, I am usually settled back down. It's weird that it is as if all the evidence counts for nowt, similar to when I was learning to drive - I still had a lack of self-belief on test day; it was a wonder I ever did pass.

The oddest thing now is, having passed my driving test, I'm fine. I wonder if that self-belief will ever arrive on the morning of a workday. I'm generally fine when I'm here...

This lack of self-belief in something which I must know I am capable of doing (the evidence suggests so) is totally baffling for me. Makes most weekday mornings difficult until I actually walk in the same doors and see the same scene... Just cannot work it out :lac:

Thanks for reading,
Peter

Annie0904
09-09-13, 22:11
Do you think it could be a self esteem thing with you Peter? If so, this might help http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/resources/infopax.cfm?Info_ID=47

NE21 worrier
09-09-13, 22:18
Yeah I do, Annie.

It's self-esteem, lack of assertiveness and perfectionism which I am working on with my CBT therapist. I definitely have a perfectionist streak which is damaging to my self-confidence as I'd rather just give up on things if I can't do them well than fail time and time again.

But this is something which I succeed at time and time again but it feels as if my emotional response to something (self-doubt) still seems automatically to defeat a more logical perspective. Not entirely, of course - I'm still going to work at the moment and feel competent when I'm there. I just wish I could bottle up that feeling and take it home, though, as some mornings are still really tough. Perhaps it's because I'm can't bear to make a mistake at work (perfectionism) that I feel like this... puts a lot of pressure on myself. Me and the therapist are working on unrealistic expectations this week.

Btw, I've looked at those booklets before and they do make sense when I read them - but I just can't get this properly nailed. It's obviously frustrating too!:mad:

Annie0904
09-09-13, 22:35
That is good that your therapist is working through it with you. I am the same when I am doing things but for me it is not that I am looking for perfection in what I do, it is more a fear of consequences if I make a mistake.

NE21 worrier
12-09-13, 09:42
Every day feels like a struggle at the moment. At least I've got my therapy session coming up at 10am.

But then I've got a whole shift at work (11.30-8), and another tomorrow (9-5.30), and then an all-day event with friends on Saturday... I'm off to Prague next week for my 30th. Life just seems rather overwhelming again at the moment :wacko:

badasafish
12-09-13, 09:55
Hi Peter, I suffer from exactly what you have described. At the moment it's a real low for me (not working / broke up with gf of 4 years) so I'm really struggling.

I can really identify with the perfectionism that you spoke of, and I also know it's unrealistic to expect this of myself but I just can't shake it. If you aim for perfection the best you can achieve is what you expected, and if that happens all you get is relief that you haven't failed. But since perfection is almost unobtainable most experiences are felt as failures, something that is incredibly detrimental to my self esteem and self confidence.

I was functioning OK whilst I was on Fluoxetine, but my therapist convinced me it would be good to come off them since I had been on them for a long time so I could experience my real feelings. This lead to everything turning to s**t :( I'm back on the drugs now and I'm trying to pick up the pieces of my life but it's so difficult.

I'd love to speak to you more as I really identify with the issues you are experiencing.

Thanks, Stephen

NE21 worrier
15-09-13, 01:36
Thanks Annie, Stephen and other readers,

Absolutely exhilarated to give an update on this, my latest thread. Work went easier than I expected on Thursday and Friday, just seemed to get on with it, do my job and go home - which is all they can ask really.

Then, today's event with friends was wonderful. The day didn't start too well as I had my usual nervous tummy and I was very anxious as I prepared myself to go out - stomach was churning and I had jelly legs as I pulled away to drive down the hill to Blaydon.

But these are actually my closest friends, the people who along with my family I trust the most. In fact, I had known them all for at least 12 years since my days in secondary school. So why still get anxious?

Well, I'm not sure I'll know why, really - because within 10-15 minutes of sitting down and playing the first of many board games, I was totally comfortable. The churning stomach had gone and so had the jelly legs. I was myself again and I just let me be myself for the rest of the afternoon evening, returning home so elated that I sent this text message to my good friend Tom:

Really buzzing off today's event. Just so happy that I've got such wonderful friends. Just three days of grind to muddle through then we're free [in Prague] for a few days. Genuinely can't wait :)

Of course, I'll probably be a bit nervous again by Thursday - but I'm going with three really good friends who will look after me - and I am determined that I will have a good time there. After all, you only turn 30 once! :D