PDA

View Full Version : A blip?

Eyji1
10-09-13, 12:23
So, the last two weeks I've had have been great. I've been feeling up on energy. Down on anxiety and just feeling very good over all.

The day before yesterday however was not so good. I was anxious and stressed out and ended up in my usual health anxiety way of thinking.

Yesterday I was stuck in the same thought loop. "What if? What if? What if?"
I'm feeling quite fine in my body, just a few minor muscle aches and the usual periodical headache.

It just seems I cant shake the feeling that something is wrong even though it doesn't feel so in any physical way...

Is this me being anxious about not feeling stress in my body?
I feel so unusual about not being all pent up that I'm starting to hold down my breath again and am noticing myself letting out gasps of air now and again throughout the day.

Last night I was about to go to sleep. I was just laying in bed when my heart started beating heavily. It grew heavier and heavier until I started to get anxious about it. I became so warm that parts of my body just felt chilly. Like when you burn your hand on fire or something.... I just lay there and tried not to hyperventilate and told myself that this has all happened before. It took some time but I cooled down and managed to fall asleep. Although I kept waking up with my heart pounding throughout the night.

I managed to fall asleep again even with all the waking up from time to time but I'm feeling really tired today and I seem to be in hypersensitivity mode as I'm constantly scanning for things going wrong in my body. Holding my breath, checking my pulse, exploring all my aches... I know it is all for nothing and that it's doing myself harm rather than good... But I cant manage to stop.

Any tips, advice? Opinions?

skippy66
10-09-13, 13:06
Haha I can relate to this - I got worried the few times I felt 'well' because it wasn't normal for me to feel well! Crazy huh?!

I think you're doing very well overall as you're obviously a bright guy and have obviously recognised the problem - this is half the battle. You just need to realise that you will have blips forever - I still have good and bad days with my health, the difference is that i no longer obsess on the bad days and I just get on with my life regardless.

You know you are hypersensitive to your symptoms at the moment. I used to get this A LOT. I would check my pulse and even blood pressure on a regular basis, then see Dr Google, then do posts like yours above.

How to stop this?

DISTRACTION

You need to get something to take your mind off your own body and on to something distracting and productive. Sometimes work isn't enough, because you get into a dull routine and it's no longer a distraction.

I would recommend the following:

- Call somebody for a long chat (not about health)
- Play sport
- Play an immersive video game
- Watch a movie
- Go for a walk, but with headphones listening to uplifting music, audiobooks or podcasts

There are loads more but it depends on your location etc. Just get something to take your mind off your symptoms. It does work wonders, believe me.