PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety: new to board

Bamadfw
10-09-13, 19:13
Hello everyone. My name is Colin and I live in Dallas, Texas. I just came upon this board today and I think it might be just what I need. So, here's my story. I started on citalopram some 13 years ago when my 1st son was born. I had a terrible time coping with the change in my life and anxiety got the best of me. I finally decided to go on medication and my doc put me on celexa/citalopram. It took a while but it eventually helped me. My life got back to normal and I was happy. Fast Forward to January of this year. I was sitting around one day when I started telling myself that I didn't need meds anymore. I was paying for something that I could do without. So I stopped. What a mistake. I weaned myself off and man it was hard. But I did it. I was so proud of myself and it lasted for about 6 months. I was dealing with things great and had no problems. Then, 2 weeks ago I had a major financial situation in my life. Nothing we couldn't get through but something happened that morning. It was like a switch went off in my head. The anxiety of 13 years ago flooded back and I immediately started panicking. I tried to deal with it for 2-3 days but it was useless. I went to my doc and told him what was going on. He put me back on citalopram immediately and said it would take 2-4 weeks to start working. And here's where I need some help. The first time I took this I don't remember all the side effects I am having now. I stared 7 days ago and am having increased anxiety most of the time, cannot sleep, no appetite and somewhat withdrawn from family. Did I just forget how it was before? Is this normal in this stage of the med? In know this sounds dumb but I find myself laying around, not wanting to go to work or do anything. Just thinking about how I will never get better and I will be like this for the rest of my life. Had anyone else felt this way? When does it get better? I just can't remember this happening before. Thx for listening.

little scientist
12-09-13, 10:00
Hello Colin and welcome!

7 days back on is early days - try and ride it out of you can. I went back on to citalopram last year after trying to come off and had far more side effects going on it a second time. Like you I had something trigger my return to citalopram that could have been sorted (mine was employment related and switching jobs).

You WILL get better with time. My Doctor once said to me, depression and anxiety is like a bad back, it takes time to heal x

Bamadfw
12-09-13, 15:39
Thanks little. It just feels like I'm in a hole right now. No drive or motivation to do anything. Just extremely tired and anxious all the time. Keep thinking its not working. Guess I just have to tell myself it is early on and have to be patient.