PDA

View Full Version : worried

dawnieb12
10-09-13, 21:21
I have a painful blister type lump on the side of my tongue.. this is my second time to get it in less than a month & I'm worried as I heard recurrent mouth ulcers etc could be cancer.. I try not to think this way but my HA always manages to take over my mind :weep:

cpe1978
10-09-13, 22:02
Bear in mind that I have no medical grounding (although I do work for the NHS). But I would imagine that in the vast vast vast majority of cases, recurrent mouth ulcers are.........recurrent mouth ulcers.

That isn't meant to be flippant and I too instantly jump to the gravest conclusion, but obviously when you google things like multiple mouth ulcers you will find things for which that may be indicative but certainly in no way definitive.

For example, I have been utterly convinced for a while that I have some form of cancer or another. But when you drill down into the stats, the incidence of almost any cancer for someone my age is tiny. Yes it happens, my dad is an example getting renal cancer at 38 (which is what I think triggered my anxiety), but on average there are only 71 people between 35 and 40 diagnosed each year with that cancer. Yet I dare say there are many many many more people who have symtoms which may in rare cases be attributed to it.