PDA

View Full Version : Citalopram anxiety attacks

GregJA
11-09-13, 01:41
Hey guys,

So I was put on citalopram a few weeks ago. Started at 20 mg and reacted very poorly.
Now I did 10 days of 2.5 mg ( I had a gag sensation in my throat as well as the occasional nausea/pain in upper abdomen)(not a sharp pain just a dull pain, carried from middle under v in chest, or on the right near liver as well.)

I then upped it to 5mg, the first 2 days I had some anxiety/bathroom issues/ that dull pain, now today I woke up same crappy feeling. I ate and took the 5ng. Not long after I felt worse and by 4 hours after I got a tibgling numb feeling in my legs and body.. Now my head hurts panicky and feel sick.

The pain this afternoon was:
Nausea
Fast breathing
Tight throat that made me feel gag
Hard to swallow and breathe
Pains in abdomen.
Tense upper back
Lightheaded/panic
I couldn't calm down it was horrible.

Should I be switching meds? My doc seems unsure, or is this normal and will eventually go away?

Rivalace
11-09-13, 07:51
Hi Greg
I had a number of the same symptoms but with the help of some Benzos the side effects eased a lot! I was on 10mg for 4 days then increased to 20mg. I'm on day 16 now and am starting the feel the effects of CIT, I'm certainly less anxious and the 'dark' thoughts have receded a little.

It may not suit you but time needs time and I'd personally give it a while longer but maybe ask your doctor for some additional help to see you through the initial side effects.

All the best, you are not alone

GregJA
11-09-13, 18:26
Hey thanks!
Well starting yesterday everytime I ate I got very sick and panicky.
Today I woke up felt horrible and when I ate got very sick again.
My appointment with the doctor is sept 16, I've been taking Ativan to help with the symptoms with no success. So I believe I am stopping the medication now (I was on such a low dose anyways) and will probably try something new next week.