PDA

View Full Version : acid reflux getting worse, please help

karisa
11-09-13, 19:43
Hi Everyone,

Since 7th July 2013 i've been suffering from acid reflux. Everytime i eat i get a feeling that my food is getting stuck in my throat and the rest of the time that i am not eating my throat is burning and i start to cough vigorously.

I've visited the doctors 8 times in the last 2 months to help with this problem. However, they are reluctant to give me and medication because i am young still, and they think it'll pass.

I am starting to lose my appetite and loosing weight because my eating habits have changed.

I was wondering if anyone has experienced acid reflux before, is it normal to get a stuck feeling whilst eating? and what should i do to keep my appetite back? and also what foods should i eat to reduce the acid reflux?

Please help,
Thankyou

almamatters
11-09-13, 19:49
Hi I have been on meds for this problem for years, the feeling of food stuck in the throat is common and I get it regularly. I think foods to avoid differ from person to person, but for me tomatoes , spicy foods , coffee, chocolate are things that I try to avoid. I used to find it hard to eat until I got my reflux under control, I drink a probiotic drink everyday which helps a bit. How old are you?

Daisy Sue
11-09-13, 19:57
I feel it's a bit unfair if you've been diagnosed with acid reflux yet been refused any meds to help you! Even babies are given medications for stomach issues!

If the doctor really won't help, as Almatters has said above, diet can help alleviate symptoms enormously. Try not to eat large amounts, eat little and often, but don't go hungry because your stomach will be expecting food regularly and if none is eaten, the acid will work on your already sensitive linings.

Try going on a low residue diet, things like soft mashed potato, mild soups, ice cream, cream cheese/crackers, light toast. Plenty of fluids like tea & water.. keep off coffee & things like coke, orange juice etc.

When I've been really bad with acid I've lived off weak tea and digestive biscuits, but if you can get a little protein in there too like cream cheese, it's better for you.

There are things you can buy over the counter - I'm not sure how old you are though, so it might be worth asking your parents about this before buying anything.

Zenboy
11-09-13, 21:45
Sounds like it could be the food or drink you are consuming, or the way you are consuming them. Try looking up a diet for GERD on the net and follow the advice given to see if you get any relief. In the meanwhile, I would start using something like Gaviscon; an over-the-counter medicine that coats the esophegus and protects it from acid, as long term exposure of the esophegus to stomach acid is not great.
Definitely worth having another chat with your doc if you can't find relief.

Hope this helps in some way

karisa
13-09-13, 18:33
Hi I have been on meds for this problem for years, the feeling of food stuck in the throat is common and I get it regularly. I think foods to avoid differ from person to person, but for me tomatoes , spicy foods , coffee, chocolate are things that I try to avoid. I used to find it hard to eat until I got my reflux under control, I drink a probiotic drink everyday which helps a bit. How old are you?

Thankyou for your reply, I'm still experimenting on which foods to avoid. I'm 16. If you don't mind me asking how long did it take you to get your reflux under control?

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

I feel it's a bit unfair if you've been diagnosed with acid reflux yet been refused any meds to help you! Even babies are given medications for stomach issues!

If the doctor really won't help, as Almatters has said above, diet can help alleviate symptoms enormously. Try not to eat large amounts, eat little and often, but don't go hungry because your stomach will be expecting food regularly and if none is eaten, the acid will work on your already sensitive linings.

Try going on a low residue diet, things like soft mashed potato, mild soups, ice cream, cream cheese/crackers, light toast. Plenty of fluids like tea & water.. keep off coffee & things like coke, orange juice etc.

When I've been really bad with acid I've lived off weak tea and digestive biscuits, but if you can get a little protein in there too like cream cheese, it's better for you.

There are things you can buy over the counter - I'm not sure how old you are though, so it might be worth asking your parents about this before buying anything.

Thankyou for your reply, i will try and see if these things work for me :) As i am 16 they have to ask for a prescription before i can buy anything at the pharmacy.

almamatters
13-09-13, 19:08
Hi, It took a while for me to get mine under control , probably about 2 months of taking 30mg of meds daily and then dropping to 15mg. I am older than you though and I used to smoke and drink so I was doing things that made it a lot worse. You can buy gaviscon and zantac from the chemist , but your GP should be able to prescribe something to help no matter how old you are. I you are struggling to eat and losing weight they should give you some advice at least. Take care.

skippy66
13-09-13, 20:37
I can understand your doctors reluctance to put you on PPIs because once you're on them it's very hard to get off them, and reflux is something which can come and go on its own.

Do you really want to be on stomach pills for the rest of your life? Try changing your diet first.

karisa
14-09-13, 18:47
Sounds like it could be the food or drink you are consuming, or the way you are consuming them. Try looking up a diet for GERD on the net and follow the advice given to see if you get any relief. In the meanwhile, I would start using something like Gaviscon; an over-the-counter medicine that coats the esophegus and protects it from acid, as long term exposure of the esophegus to stomach acid is not great.
Definitely worth having another chat with your doc if you can't find relief.

Hope this helps in some way

thankyou for this, i went and got Gaviscon this morning and its seems to be okay so far!

honeyp1e
17-09-13, 12:16
Aaarrrggggg my acid is playing up big time at the moment wen am eat it feels as if all the food is stuck just below ribs :( also just bottom of ribs or above navel feel as if its stinging an OMG if I have a smoke that just irritates it 10x worse am taking one omeprazole 20mg of a morning obv not helping :(

Gillybean37
17-09-13, 16:25
I cant believe the doctor wont give u anything! I went to the doctor about acid reflux and I asked for omeprazole as my friend takes it and they gave me it no problem, I take it every morning and have never had any more reflux! have u tried gaviscon that used to work sometimes for me before I got the medication x

karisa
21-09-13, 08:51
Aaarrrggggg my acid is playing up big time at the moment wen am eat it feels as if all the food is stuck just below ribs :( also just bottom of ribs or above navel feel as if its stinging an OMG if I have a smoke that just irritates it 10x worse am taking one omeprazole 20mg of a morning obv not helping :(

i'm sorry to hear that, hopefully yours will get better soon!

---------- Post added at 08:51 ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 ----------

I cant believe the doctor wont give u anything! I went to the doctor about acid reflux and I asked for omeprazole as my friend takes it and they gave me it no problem, I take it every morning and have never had any more reflux! have u tried gaviscon that used to work sometimes for me before I got the medication x

thankyou for the tip, i will try that!