PDA

View Full Version : disturbing thoughts/panic attacks

lise7
12-09-13, 17:08
I can't deal with this anymore and starting to wonder if im going mad. I keep getting horrible thoughts all the time, i was in my friends car today and wanted to open the door and get out as she was driving, i took a beta blocker which seemed to calm me down, but the feeling was so strong. What the hell is going on with me, am i gonna end up doing it

AuntieMoosie
12-09-13, 20:39
There are 2 possible reasons for this hun.

One is that you're feeling extremely anxious, maybe on the verge of a full blown panic attack when you're in a car. All of a sudden a scary thought enters your head, the fear gets a hold of you to the point that you believe that you will carry out what you're so frightened of. I know it sounds strange but that's what our minds can do when we're in a hightened state of anxiety.

If you can, try and rationalise the scary thought, and tell yourself that you aren't going to do that because it's the very thought of that that terrifies you :)

The second reason is a bit different but really still amounts to anxiety/panic.

First I'll tell you a short story.......

When I was at a theme park with my children many years ago, there was one of those awful sky lift things that took you high up in the air and all over the park.

My dear Mother In Law, bless her, asked me to go on there with her, I told her that I didn't like heights, but she assured me that I'd love it, very relaxing she said!!

When I was up there high in the air, I was petrified and I really do mean petrified, I had to shut my eyes, my hands were sweating, my head was spinning and all of a sudden I thought "I'm going to jump"!!!! :ohmy: I was now so petrified that I was frozen on the spot, I couldn't speak or do anything.

When I got back down to earth I was soooo relieved, but I was also really scared that I'd had that awful thought while I was up there.

I dashed to my doctors the very next morning thinking that I had become suicidal. My, then, GP was lovely and really excellent with anything psychological. And this is what he told me, he said because I was sooo frightened of being up there, I wanted quick relief, so he said that I would have thought to myself that if I can get out of here and back down there I'll be better and I wont be this frightened anymore, he reassured me that I would never have really jumped and that I wasn't at all suicidal, I just wanted instant relief :)

Are you finding it hard to be in a car hun?? Do you notice you get more anxious or panicky if you're traveling in a car?? This is something that you could study a bit more and then address it if being in a car is causing you anxiety or panic or both.

But please be reassured that you are highly unlikely to carry out what you fear, it's just the fear making you think that you will hun :hugs:

lise7
12-09-13, 22:23
Ive had it a couple of times in cars before but also other places i wont go in a multi store car parks because im scared ill have a panic attack and throw myself off the top. im not suicidal ive never been depressed only very anxious for about 6 months. I feel like im going mad i just wanna feel normal again :(