PDA

View Full Version : can someone tell me there experience with fluoxetine

ddonaghey1989
13-09-13, 20:48
my dr prescribed fluoxetine to me a few months ago for anxiety but ive been afraid to take them ive been suffering with dizziness and i got into such a bad state im terrified of panicking when i take the meds and end up the same way again it was really horrendous. ive been suffering since january. ive tried to do this without meds but i think i need them but iv built up such a fear. i dnt want to feel derealisation again and feel dizzy. i need help :(

aggiecuttler
15-09-13, 10:49
Hello, I can not decide if the dizziness is from taking the tablets or from panic? i am going to respond that you suffer with dizziness but have not take any of the tablets as yet! hope i am right.
Fluoxtine does have side effects when you initially start the meds but they do lessen with time, you may feel headachey, it can highten anxiety initially BUT fluoxtine are very effective as an anti depressant and for treating panic and anxiety. I would urge you to go back to your dr and discuss your fears, I would have thought that this tablet would help you get away from the dizziness and panic which you are suffering with, fluoxtine can take a number of weeks to kick in and have its effect, but you will find you will not be so worried and your mood will be lifted that you will wonder what you were worrying about! speak to your dr about your fears but definatley consider taking the first steps in taking the fluoxtine as i am sure you will see its benefits good luck and blessings

Overbeinganxsty
18-09-13, 11:46
I'm on it for 2nd time both have been a great success. Check out my thread Side effects be gone for my diary.

BellaBella88
20-09-13, 02:40
I was the same as you. I was prescribed fluoxetine for panic attacks, but was too scared to begin taking them.

After a few months, I developed severe depression as a result of the anxiety. When I started taking them, the first few days were a bit euphoric. Things which would have upset me didn't and I was cheery.

I will be honest and tell you that it has been a slow process. I have had lots of ups and downs and the first dose (20mg) didn't help that much. It also takes about 7 weeks for me get the full effects of the fluoxetine and doesn't start getting better until the 4th.

If you are worried about the side effects, you could ask your doctor about valium. You could only have it when it gets exceptionally bad- when you feel like you're going crazy or can't cope. I find it reassuring to carry around with me.

My initial side effects were:

Blood sugar levels rising and dropping more (combat this by eating healthier)
Increased sensitivity to caffeine
Tremors. My hands would get shaky. As if I was hungry. (I found it entertaining though)

This isn't really a side effect, but a result of my anxiety/deppression:
Because they took a while to work, I found it hard to keep hope and kept asking people "What if I'm stuck like this". You need people to support you and to keep reminding you that even with your mood blips, you are getting better.

After a few weeks, the side effects dissappear, but for me they did return when I had a dose increase. I am now on 60mg and can't believe that a few months ago I was barely functioning. You can do this. It is a scary path, but you will learn a lot about yourself, grow closer to people who help and will become stronger as a person.