PDA

View Full Version : Hope for those starting Citalopram

fruit-cake
16-09-13, 13:02
Hi everyone, newbie here!

I feel compelled to post here to give hope and reassurance to anyone who has recently been prescribed Citalopram.

I was diagnosed with GAD and depression aged 19 and prescribed 20mg Citalopram. I went home, spent about 24 hours obsessively reading posts on the internet about horrific side effects and decided not to get the prescription filled, believing I would rather cope with this on my own.

Fast-forward 7 years, my GAD particularly has escalated and now includes panic disorder. I often feel utterly depressed and the GAD has taken over my life to the point I can no longer even go to a supermarket or shopping centre, never mind public transport or planes.

At the end of my tether I booked a private counsellor and visited my new GP (have moved since the last diagnosis). He prescribed me with 20mg Citalopram again, and 120mg Propranolol for the physical symptoms (racing heart etc).

Again, I came home and did my research, slowly becoming more terrified of the side effects the more I read. I almost threw the prescription in the bin again, but realised I will never break this cycle if I don't even try.

I am now on day 8, and other than a little teeth clenching in the first hour or so after taking the pill, the only side effect I've had is trouble sleeping, which has improved steadily as the week has gone on. I already feel less anxious and even went to a supermarket on my own at the weekend!

Please do not be put off by horror stories, I know that side effects do occur in some people, but you are more likely to hear from people who have had side effects than those who haven't. Give it a try!

Thanks and good luck! :yesyes:

Jx

xvolatileheart
16-09-13, 13:07
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I currently have a pack of citalopram sitting by my bed that I've been too scared to start. Do you take it in the morning or evening?

fruit-cake
16-09-13, 13:13
After reading various morning/evening posts on the net I decided to take it in the evenings, not too close to bedtime, about 8pm usually. The first night I was in tears from worry, waiting for overwhelming nausea and suicidal thoughts to kick in, but they never came! I did feel a little spaced out that first day, but nowhere near enough to not be able to function, work, drive etc.

jayjoe18
16-09-13, 13:20
Thank you so much for posting this fruit-cake! The words of encouragement really help, I'm petrified of taking meds but the more posts like this I read the more I feel like I can do it. You always here of the negative things but never the positive, I presume because people are too busy getting better and feeling happy to want to post about it. Do you have any tips on how to take the first pill? I know I'll be in a total panic if I take one?

fruit-cake
16-09-13, 13:25
Hi JayJoe,

I don't know about tips, but perhaps you could take it when you're about to be busy doing something else so your mind is distracted. Like right before you're setting off to go out somewhere, or about to cook dinner. I sat staring at the packet for ages and then spent about 20 minutes with the pill in one hand and a glass of juice in the other, working up the courage to do it! Also, I wasn't alone when I took it, I had encouragement from my hubby and also felt reassured that if I had a bad reaction he would know what I had taken and be able to get me help.

Sparkle1984
16-09-13, 13:31
Thanks for your words of encouragement. I currently have a pack of citalopram sitting by my bed that I've been too scared to start. Do you take it in the morning or evening?

I highly recommend citalopram if your doctor is happy to prescribe it to you. I take mine in the evenings just after tea.

jayjoe18
16-09-13, 13:34
Hi JayJoe,

I don't know about tips, but perhaps you could take it when you're about to be busy doing something else so your mind is distracted. Like right before you're setting off to go out somewhere, or about to cook dinner. I sat staring at the packet for ages and then spent about 20 minutes with the pill in one hand and a glass of juice in the other, working up the courage to do it! Also, I wasn't alone when I took it, I had encouragement from my hubby and also felt reassured that if I had a bad reaction he would know what I had taken and be able to get me help.

Thanks for the reply, I thought of that but then worry if I set myself something to do outside of the house that I'll become too ill from side effects to do it or will get ill in public. But that's a really good idea about the cooking, I love baking so I think that would be a great idea!

Congrats for managing to take them by the way, I hope it continues well for you :)

xvolatileheart
16-09-13, 14:10
Thanks for the reply. I'm going to take my first pill this Friday. No excuses!

jayjoe18
16-09-13, 14:27

That's the spirit! Good luck, let us know how you get on! Maybe I'll be next to try!

fruit-cake
16-09-13, 14:41

Well done you! :winks:

jillyb
16-09-13, 17:47
Thank you for posting this. I am petrified of any meds but I am in such a bad place that I don't think I can go on much longer without trying some. I hoped I could get through without pills but I can't. All I read are the horror stories and know I will get all the side effects plus more, so your post has given me some encouragement!

fruit-cake
16-09-13, 19:03
Thank you for posting this. I am petrified of any meds but I am in such a bad place that I don't think I can go on much longer without trying some. I hoped I could get through without pills but I can't. All I read are the horror stories and know I will get all the side effects plus more, so your post has given me some encouragement!

Good! I hoped it would, wish I'd come across more posts like this 7 years ago and taken the meds then, maybe it wouldn't have got so bad!

EnoughAlready
16-09-13, 22:58
I too have 10mg of Cit and a prescription for more but have not taken them. However I am so anxious at the mo I constantly feel like I am not getting enough air to breathe which is prolly the worst symptom I get and I hate it absolutely hate it :(

Sparkle1984
16-09-13, 23:12
I too have 10mg of Cit and a prescription for more but have not taken them. However I am so anxious at the mo I constantly feel like I am not getting enough air to breathe which is prolly the worst symptom I get and I hate it absolutely hate it :(

I can recommend citalopram to you if your doctor is happy to prescribe it to you, as it has helped me a lot. 10mg is the lowest dose but you can cut them in half to start on 5mg for the first few days if you are sensitive to SSRIs.
If you read through my old threads you'll see my citalopram diaries. :)

Volvoman50
18-09-13, 15:54
Thanks Fruit Cake that has give me some confidence; I started 20 mg Monday so waiting for the effects to kick in now. I know it can take a week or 2 but this has help give me some reassurance to just grit my teeth a bit at the momnent and give myself time.:)

Bamadfw
18-09-13, 18:23
Hi all. Thought I would come on as well and post my POSITIVE experience to try to help someone who might have just started cit. Today is 2 weeks for me (20mg) and I can honestly say it is helping. I relapsed back into some major anxiety and mild dep about 3 weeks ago. Went back to my doc and asked him to please put me back on them. Not gonna lie, these last 2 weeks have even HELL. Increased anxiety, couldn't sleep, less appetite etc. but the last couple days I have started to notice a diff. Anxiety is down, sleeping better and much calmer. So if you are thinking about quitting, please don't. They do help and you will start to get better, it just takes time. I am still in very early stages and I am looking forward to getting better and better each day. Don't listen to the bad posts. When someone has a bad experience they want everyone to know, but when it's good they don't think about posting about it because they are too busy enjoying life and getting better. Have faith and be stong. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

jayjoe18
23-09-13, 13:26

xvolatileheart how are you? How did you get on with the meds on Friday?

Rennie1989
23-09-13, 14:54
Can I just say that nobody can recommend any prescription medication to people. It can only be prescribed by a doctor and they don't work for everyone. People can discuss this with their doctor but only they have the knowledge and power to prescribe.

I am glad that the medication is working for you! I was on the same medication and, sadly, it did not work for me, but it's good to read that it does help other people. I always tell people to never read side effects and horror stories of medication (unless it's necessary to) because it can cause more anxiety then they intend to help. I found some of the side effects I got from my first anti D's was because I read about it, like an anti-placebo!

Sparkle1984
23-09-13, 17:31
Can I just say that nobody can recommend any prescription medication to people. It can only be prescribed by a doctor and they don't work for everyone. People can discuss this with their doctor but only they have the knowledge and power to prescribe.

I am glad that the medication is working for you! I was on the same medication and, sadly, it did not work for me, but it's good to read that it does help other people. I always tell people to never read side effects and horror stories of medication (unless it's necessary to) because it can cause more anxiety then they intend to help. I found some of the side effects I got from my first anti D's was because I read about it, like an anti-placebo!

Sorry for any misunderstanding. When I was saying "I recommend citalopram" to people, I mean only if their doctor is happy to prescribe it to them. I've updated my previous posts in this thread to clarify this. I'd never suggest that people obtain this sort of medication without a valid prescription, as it could be dangerous and there's no way of being sure it is what it says it is. I agree that different medications suit different people.

Rennie1989
23-09-13, 17:53
Sorry for any misunderstanding. When I was saying "I recommend citalopram" to people, I mean only if their doctor is happy to prescribe it to them. I've updated my previous posts in this thread to clarify this. I'd never suggest that people obtain this sort of medication without a valid prescription, as it could be dangerous and there's no way of being sure it is what it says it is. I agree that different medications suit different people.

I hope I didn't come across too harsh, just being PC :)

xvolatileheart
23-09-13, 19:54
xvolatileheart how are you? How did you get on with the meds on Friday?
I'm ashamed to say, I didn't take it. :blush: I know you aren't supposed to drink while on it (at least when starting it) and I had a couple of big social events coming up, so I decided to postpone until after that. So I think I'm going to start next Monday!

jayjoe18
26-09-13, 13:35
I'm ashamed to say, I didn't take it. :blush: I know you aren't supposed to drink while on it (at least when starting it) and I had a couple of big social events coming up, so I decided to postpone until after that. So I think I'm going to start next Monday!

Don't be ashamed, you have to start them when you're ready and at the time that's right for you! I'm off to the doctors next week to discuss medication again, so fingers crossed I'll be able to start them too, we might end up starting them at the same time :)

xvolatileheart
26-09-13, 22:06
That would be great, we could be citalopram buddies. It would really help to have someone going on the same "journey" with me. :)

MilaHurricanes
27-09-13, 06:39
Is it okay to take citalopram with klonopin? I've been prescribed both. But I never take the citalopram.

jayjoe18
27-09-13, 17:49
That would be great, we could be citalopram buddies. It would really help to have someone going on the same "journey" with me. :)

Yeah that would be great, it would really help me too :) I'll let you know once I've been to the doctors/when I get the meds if you want?

Stiffler
27-09-13, 21:49
Hey everyone. I've been taking Citalopram 20mg for about 6 weeks now. I took it for most of last year but came off gradually and was ok for about 3 months. However the depression returned with a vengeance. This time I was having suicidal thoughts and actually makin plans in my head. I was so scared I went straight back to the doctor ad he put me back on the citalopram. It all seemed ok for first few weeks but this week the suicidal ideation is back and I'm scared. The doctor seems to think i should reduce to taking a 20mg tablet every two days but isn't that going to affect my mood even more and if I'm still depressed at 20mg surely it should be increased not decreased?