PDA

View Full Version : Too scared to hand in notice at work!

tinsel
16-09-13, 13:59
Hi everyone!

I've suffered from anxiety for years and often read these forums, but I've never posted before. However, I felt the need for some moral support today as I'm so scared of giving my notice at work!

I've been here for 7 months but I'm not enjoying the role and recently have had very little to do after we lost a major client. I've been offered a new job and need to give notice as soon as possible, but my heart's racing at the thought of a confrontation with my boss! He may well be fine about it, but when I took the job I assured them I was in for the long haul, that the long commute wouldn't be a problem and now can't help feeling I'm letting them down. I've been putting off speaking to him all day. It's made even more nerve-wracking by the fact this is an open-plan office of only six people and I'd have to do it in front of everyone!

Any advice for me? Right now my fight or flight response is sending me a very clear flight! Need to calm down...

Annie0904
16-09-13, 14:16
You will need to give your notice in writing so I would just hand it to your boss. You could maybe ask to speak privately? Then you can explain to him your reasons for leaving as well as handing in the letter. Hopefully he won't be annoyed at it as it is your decision and he should respect that.

tinsel
16-09-13, 14:23
Thanks Annie! That's another problem - my computer's not networked to the printer so to deliver in writing I'd need to ask someone else to print my letter for me! Small workplaces are a nightmare for anything like this, I feel so conspicuous. I could ask to speak to my boss privately, but again in front of all other staff who would guess what it was about since it's such a rare occurrence. It's the idea of drawing attention to myself and being questioned as much as the subsequent confrontation that's making me panic I think.

Do you think it would be a good idea to wait till he leaves and phone on his mobile to let him know I want to give notice, then follow up with an email or letter tomorrow? Or is that just unprofessional?

Need to get a move on, my new employer-to-be is emailing asking when they can write for a reference! They've got an enormous four-page form for my boss to fill in, and they also want me to get the day off on Wednesday for a training day with my predecessor in the role, so the idea of asking my boss for a long reference and day off following the announcement I'm leaving is stressing me out as well.

gypcyg
16-09-13, 14:41
All libraries have printers so send the letter to yourself via email or save it onto a memory stick. Likewise rymans or similar places also print out items.

You mustn't forget that the company you work for would lay people off if the going got tough - Be strong and direct and good luck!

tinsel
16-09-13, 15:51
Thank you. My partner should be able to print off at work. Means I'll have to wait until tomorrow though, unless I email it. Yes, I know they'd get rid of me if they had to - actually wondering if they're not thinking about it already, given how little I've got to do. Somehow handing notice in fills me with nameless dread though! Nearly plucked up the courage: was going to make a cup of tea for boss as an excuse to go over and ask for a word in private. Ended up crying for no reason in the kitchen! What a loser.

Annie0904
16-09-13, 16:03
I can understand how hard this can be and you are in no way a loser for getting so anxious about it. I would't send a message by phone but I guess an email is okay although some companies may not accept it via email.
I think you will be best getting it over and done with today though otherwise you will worry all night :hugs:

Edie
16-09-13, 19:12
You're not letting anyone down, and your boss is not going to turn this into a confrontation. Your contract of employment contains details of how to resign, because people do leave jobs and move on. You can thank your boss for the opportunities he's given you, say how much you have enjoyed the job and have learned from it. But now you have a new opportunity and it's time for you to move on.

You can hand-write your letter. Keep the letter short, but pleasant. You can go into more detail in a private conversation with your boss.

Good luck, and congratulations on your new job!