PDA

View Full Version : Omega 3 ?????

SarahH
17-09-13, 09:38
Would really like peoples opinion on whether to take Omega 3 supplement or not.

What are the benefits?

Which is the best?

Are there side effects?

I read somewhere recently that stated unless you take a big dose it has no use at all.

Anyone:D

AnxiousBaker
18-09-13, 15:59
For some people it has real obvious benefits for others maybe not so much. Although it is good for you.
I take a brand called MoreEPA by minami Nutrition. 85% high strength formula. It is a tad expensive but worth it. I buy off Amazon.
Its as pure as its going to be, seven seas etc are ok but this is far better.
No side effects for me.

SarahH
18-09-13, 17:38
Thank you,

but what are the benefits for anxiety sufferers?

hanshan
21-09-13, 03:08
I don't take it myself, but there are reports from various people that it helps to reduce their anxiety, and one study from Ohio University which found that Omega 3 supplements reduced anxiety among healthy medical students by 20%.

The theory is that stress is related to anxiety through an inflammatory process, and Omega 3 helps reduce inflammation.

A 20% reduction in anxiety may not really be noticeable, but it wouldn't hurt to try it. With all these things, some people respond better than others.

(Aspirin is also an anti-inflammatory, and in one experiment it reduced anxiety-like behaviour in rats. I take an aspirin tablet each day for its heart benefits. I don't notice any particular effects on anxiety, but then I'm also taking pregabalin and mirtazapine. It must be noted, however, that aspirin can cause gastric irritation and bleeding in susceptible people.)

Magic
21-09-13, 16:09
I take aspirin have taken it for about twelve years for the same reason as hanshan.
It does not help me at all with my anxiety or arthritis.

I eat oily fish which contains omega 3 when ever I fancy it.

I don't think there is any side effects with taking a supplement.
I have heard it say that the B complex vitamins are good for anxiety.
I have taken many sorts of vitamins over the years and spent a lot
of money. It's trial and error really.

SarahH
22-09-13, 14:04
Well weirdly I took a VERY expensive Omega 3 for a week and my anxiety was worse....now I have stopped and it is reduced.

Sarah

hanshan
23-09-13, 10:19
I'd have to say that you need more than a week to establish a cause and effect relationship.

Otherwise, you're saying that fish oil causes anxiety.

SarahH
24-09-13, 11:32
mmmmmm....well I see your point Hanshan and you are probably right. I am very sensitive to ANYthing but of course it could have been psychosomatic (!). I took Omega 3 years ago and it had the same affect. It could be that it makes my anxiety worse rather than "causing" it.

Who knows:) but I have a £24 bottle of it in my fridge going to waste:mad:

Sarah