PDA

View Full Version : White cell worry - again!!! Help!

JustJules
17-09-13, 10:52
Have recently had abdomen ultrasounds to cover ovarian cancer, kidneys, liver, bladder etc as a result of white cells in urine and traces of blood - all clear and just told me that some people have white cells from time to time and nothing to worry about....

At the time, my a young colleague at work reassured me that he had had them and it was nothing but he's just now been diagnosed with testicular cancer!!! So I'm now panicking to the point of hysteria thinking OMG, it started with the white cells (something he thinks too!).

Now my fear is what they have missed and what is happening inside me that I'm now worrying about!

God, this anxiety never ceases - sick of it....

katesa
17-09-13, 11:45
Hi love

I am far from a doctor, however I have recently been told by someone more qualified than me that although some cancers can cause problems with platelets etc, white cells are usually not indicative of it. White blood cells fight things in our bodies - the problem with cancer is that our bodies don't recognise it as something to fight so therefore doesn't usually raise the white blood cell count.

I was actually gutted to hear that as I was wanting reassurance that a normal count means I'm fine but my bad news might be your good news :-)

JustJules
17-09-13, 11:49
Thanks Katesa - that's quite reassuring but I can understand your worry too. I think we profess to know too much medically sometimes without the hard facts - probably due to the dreaded 'Dr Google' and then get ourselves all worked up.

I hope you are okay x

katesa
17-09-13, 11:52
I'm ok chick - going through my own round of illogical panic :-D

Where were you in your cycle when they found the blood in your sample hon? And do you have a coil or anything? I've had a trace of blood in my urine samples twice, once because of ovulation spotting and once because I've got a coil which often causes spotting - both noticeable and not so.

As for the white blood cells, it sounds like some sort of infection/inflammation or even more likely, just one of those things x

JustJules
17-09-13, 13:00
Ha, well over cycles and such - I'm 56 so just over the menopause! Yes, I had spotting once with the coil.

It started with a supposed water infection back in May which I didn't know I had - went to Drs with low backache and she did a dip test but didn't clear with antibiotics - white cells remained, so sent me to see Consultant, hence the round of tests but they found nothing untowards. x

nicolag84
23-12-14, 19:31
Hi am goin through the same thing atm no infection but white blood cells in my wee .i did have a trace of blood in my wee in November but the had 7 clear sample then had a trace again but no blood in the last one just white cells .am goin out my mind am obese with everything i get is cancer so now i think this is cancer .