PDA

View Full Version : Dont you just hate your lumpy breasts?

JennyW
17-09-13, 10:53
I'm 46 and have been having screening since I was in my late 30's purely because my right breast is very lumpy and glandular.

Whilst I have been referred NHS in the past and have had no problems with them, I now pay to go private purely because I cant wait for the appointment and results.

Anyway, last week was my date for my 2 yearly screening :weep: Went along and had the mammogram then saw the consultant who drained a rather large cyst. He then said an ultrasound would be for my peace of mind but not a necessity.

Being the worrier I am, I had the US last night and all is well :yesyes:

The lady was lovely and talked me through the screening showing me everything going on in there from my ribs to fat and glandular tissue. She even showed me the drained cyst which is just a collapsed image now.

She said that prior to examing me she was speaking to the consultant and he said "oh yes, she has nightmare breasts". they've been called a few things in the years but that was the best :roflmao:

So all is well and the worrying is over, until I go through it all again :wacko:

I believe the screening for women in the UK is nowing being changed from 47-73 so I expect I'll get a call next year.

I must admit I took a great deal of relief reading all the posts here about our lumpy breasts and everyone having good news at the end with nothing more than just fatty lumps and cysts. It got me through the weekend :hugs:I also found some of my own posts back from 2008 so nothing has changed - I was worrying then and still worrying now!

Mogwog
17-09-13, 11:34
Hi Jenny

I am 31 and have one really lumpy breast which has caused me no end of problems. I think i might do what you do and go for private screening. I saw a private consultant about 2 yrs ago-everything was fine I had a fibrodenoma and cysts. I get my gp to check them as I can't face doing it myself . I always find something.xxxxxx

Muriel
18-09-13, 10:18
Hi ladies - So good to make contact with other breast worriers! I have one very lumpy breast and one less lumpy breast, and found two lumps in the good breast which turned out to be lymph nodes. I was seen first by NHS but then because I thought there were other lumps I paid to be seen privately as I was making myself ill with the waiting. I had a second ultrasound and again they said it was lymph nodes on lumpy glandular tissue. They also said the nodes looked completely normal and they saw no need to biopsy them.
But even though they were reassuring I cannot shake the worry. I can still feel the lymph nodes and I have lumpy bits that come and go and the whole thing has made me a basket case. My doc has given me beta blockers and referred me for counselling but I just want to know that I'm ok!
I am really not sure how to calm myself. I googled far too much in the past and there are so many stories out there of misdiagnosis.

Anyway glad to hear all went well Jenny and sorry for ranting! I understand the constant worry...

:weep:

JennyW
23-09-13, 10:14
Hi ladies - So good to make contact with other breast worriers! I have one very lumpy breast and one less lumpy breast, and found two lumps in the good breast which turned out to be lymph nodes. I was seen first by NHS but then because I thought there were other lumps I paid to be seen privately as I was making myself ill with the waiting. I had a second ultrasound and again they said it was lymph nodes on lumpy glandular tissue. They also said the nodes looked completely normal and they saw no need to biopsy them.
But even though they were reassuring I cannot shake the worry. I can still feel the lymph nodes and I have lumpy bits that come and go and the whole thing has made me a basket case. My doc has given me beta blockers and referred me for counselling but I just want to know that I'm ok!
I am really not sure how to calm myself. I googled far too much in the past and there are so many stories out there of misdiagnosis.

Anyway glad to hear all went well Jenny and sorry for ranting! I understand the constant worry...

:weep:

ahhh, you should try and relax as you've been checked out and 'if' there were any concerns you'd of been rushed through for further tests. They don't just let things go and are very hot on things now.

I purely pay to go private as I cannot bear the wait of a few weeks and have screening every 2 years, however I believe the NHS are calling women from 47 now so next year will be my first call :) however for peace of mind I will continue with my private screening for ultrasound inbetween

purple to black
25-09-13, 08:28
I have cystic breasts and have been put on a register at my hospital, which means I don't have to go through my gp anymore I just phone straight through to the hospital and I get an appointment straight away. It's great, as I too hated the waiting.

Muriel
26-09-13, 10:20
Gosh - that's good purple to black. Are you in Scotland? I'm in Scotland too. Waiting times for NHS breast clinics are longer here I think. They don't always follow the 2 week guidelines for lumps.

I think my problem is that what I feel does not equate with what they found on ultrasound...which makes me worry that they don't pick everything up on ultrasound. But maybe they do and they just don't identify it if it's not a problem or if it's just tissue?

I need to be able to understand what I'm feeling and have an explanation for it in order to be calm I think.

The Private consultant made me another appointment for a couple of months time as he knew I was anxious. My own GP I don't think takes me seriously anymore after two checks.

I'd just like to know what these bits and pieces are?!

purple to black
26-09-13, 11:17
Hi Muriel, yeah I'm in Scotland and its usually a 2 week guideline here and its actually really well on time.
Would you believe me if I told you that if they thought for one minute there was anything suspicious on your ultrasound they would investigate it straight away.

My cysts feel huge to me but aren't as big as I think they are.

How old are you? I'm 44 and thought I was too young for a mammogram but apparently they do them in women over 35 now if needed. I had a mammogram and an ultrasound an they found calcification in my left breast which had to be monitored over a 6 month period but there were no changes. I actually go back a week today as I think I have more cysts appearing but I think a lot of the changes are due to my age lol.

I'm sure everything will be fine, go back to your gp if you're still anxious about it. It's their job to listen no matter how many times you go even if only for reassurance.

---------- Post added at 11:17 ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 ----------

Perhaps the bits and pieces are just how your breasts are, mine have always been tissuey an lumpy but the cysts obviously feel different and can be quite painful especially around my period time.

Muriel
27-09-13, 09:38
Hi - Yes I'm 46 so def at that age too lol. I had a mammogram and ultrasound in July and then another ultrasound in August. I paid for the second ultrasound because although my doc referred me, it was non urgent and after 5 weeks with no appointment and having worried about it for weeks I couldn't take it any more.

The doctor is reassuring, but I feel that she is being reassuring without really knowing iykwim. The first doctor I saw at the gps said what I was feeling was a lobe and he drew me a diagram etc and then the breast clinic said it was a lymph node. So I don't really have any faith in what the doctors say (part of the problem I know!). My other female doctor said that these are benign changes but I am convinced she is just sick of me worrying...

The texture of my breast in the glandular section down the ribs at the side on the breast tail feels weird and changes all the time, does anyone else have that? Sometimes like cotton wool, sometimes like there is no tissue there at all and sometimes it feels hard...the lymph nodes are in that area. Sometimes tiny and sometimes larger. Tissue seems to swell and then flatten and there are lumpy bits.

My rational head says that because these things ebb and flow and come and go then that is FINE while my panic head says - this all feels horrible and why will no one believe me, they must have missed something!!

The very fact that there are palpable lymph nodes in that area is a worry to me although two docs have said nothing to worry about...

I will go back and have a chat with the doc - haven't been for a while. Good luck for your next appointment.

mrsnobody
21-01-14, 21:37
Wow glad i found this thread i have lumps in my breadt been to nhs clincs twice and told glands etc. Do you ever stop worrying abot these lumps. I have one that i worry about all the time even though i was told its ok. Iam not as bad as i used to be as cbt has helped alot. It such a hard thing for a women to deal with and i just wanted to say your not alone.xxxxxx

sahara
21-01-14, 21:50
Hell yeah. they found a cyst in my breast on Monday by u/s and sent me on my way! I can't relax over it. Its tiny tho. 5.2 mm so I guess they can't be bothered with it!

sahara
22-01-14, 09:33
Ooooo I am soooooooooooo clever! I have found another lump to worry about :doh: