PDA

View Full Version : Switch from fluoxetine to cymbalta..any insight?

Ocean2
17-09-13, 22:33
I've been on fluoxetine for almost a year, I can't seem to shake the fatigue so my psychiatrist is switching me from Fluoxetine to Cymbalta. Has anyone made this switch and how did you feel? :unsure:

Ocean2
18-09-13, 10:19
Well I guess there aren't too many who have switched from Fluoxetine to cymbalta. I took my first cymbalta 30mg last night and I don't think I've slept all night. I wanted something to give me energy but not keep me up all night.
I don't currently feel anxious, I'm hoping that I don't start to as my day progresses.
If there's any one with any input or advice, I'd appreciate it. :)

loreen
18-09-13, 15:00
I switched from fluoxetine to cymbalta ( duloxetine ) and it was a good move for me. I had no problems with the switch, and for me duloxetine suits me much better.

Hope it works for you xx

Ocean2
18-09-13, 15:35
Thank you for your response! I'm hopeful that the cymbalta works better for me. I'm hopeful. xxx

loreen
20-09-13, 19:54
Hello

Just wondered how you are doing on the cymbalta ?

Are you managing to sleep now? If you can hang in there, I think you will be feeling the benefits soon. It only took a couple of weeks for me to feel a real positive effect.

I may not be cured,but it is the only medication that has had any real impact on my life.

Loreen xx

Mark13
20-09-13, 20:39
I didn't go straight from fluoxetine to duloxetine, I had a couple in between, but I took a week off work to start on the latter and I needed it. It really exhausted me for days.

After about a month it kicked in for me, but there were some effects I found hard to cope with, and it stopped working for me after about 4 months and I then came off it quickly. But while it worked it really did help control my anxiety.

I really hope it works well for you.

Ocean2
25-09-13, 15:49
Hello, day 8 on the cymbalta. The first few days I felt good, even had some energy. I started taking it in the morning and have been sleeping better. Today I woke feeling very tired and that discourages me a bit. I know it's only been a wk so I remain hopeful. Iv been through every nasty side effect while I other ADs so being tired I'm used to and can often deal with, I just hate being tired, iv got too much to do through out the day. I will keep posting as I progress. xxxx

Deepthinker
09-05-14, 17:42
Hi, Ocean! Did cymbalta turn out to be the one for you? I noticed you haven't posted in a while on this thread. My sister-in-law has been on cymbalta for ten years now and she loves it, as it has really helped her. I have been on fluoxetine for about 6 weeks now for anx/pan and depression that was brought on due to anx/pan. I took me several days, but I read the entire thread where you, Janine, super, princess and others discussed your experiences with fluoxetine. I found it to be so helpful. After reading, I felt like I knew you all and was wondering how you were getting along these days. I am a 44 year old housewife and mother of three children, whom I've home schooled for the past twelve years. My kids are now 20, 15, and 12, so I can really relate to the stressors that being home can bring about. I love what I do and even left my teaching career to stay home and raise my kids, but it can be overwhelming at times. I can already see the good that anx/pan/dep have brought to my life, though. I am learning so much about myself and learning that I can't control everything. I am learning to trust God more and realize that what is going to happen will happen and that worrying about it won't change things; it will only stress me out more. My new mantra is "Worry doesn't solve any of tomorrow's problems; it only robs today of it's joy." (I am trying to change the way I think and not automatically catastrophize everything, which is my natural tendency. If there is a worse-case scenario, my mind will conjure it up in any situation! Lol!)I am also seeing a counselor and am about to start with some cbt and have really already started helping myself some with the cbt. Sorry such a long first post to you, but I just wanted to talk to someone who understands. :-) Hope all is well! Blessings, Debra

Ocean2
10-05-14, 01:20
Hello Deepthinker! I'm happy to read that my experiences have helped you. I had a rough yr. im considerably better now but still consider myself a work in progress, I take it a day at a time.
The cymbalta has worked well for me. As well as my anxiety/panic I have early stages if fibromyalgia (which can be brought on by stress) so the cymbalta helps with pain.
During the worst of my anxiety, this site and the friends iv made through here have been my strongest support. I don't think I would've made it with out them.
If you ever have any questions or need someone to talk to..I'm here and understand.:hugs:

Deepthinker
14-05-14, 19:45
Ocean, thank you for your prompt reply! It took me a few days to realize you responded. I am still learning how to navigate around this site. I am still doing well, but driving anx is still there. It is not as intense as it was before meds, though. I just wish all anxiety would go completely away like it did when I was on Effexor ER, ten years ago. I have been on the fluox now since March 26th and from what I have read on here, I am still in the early days and perhaps I will continue to see progress on this med. I hope so! All my depression, that was brought on by my driving anxiety and panic is completely gone and the everyday anxiety is gone, too, so the fluox has helped tremendously. Thanks for your offer to listen, I appreciate it. I don't post much, but I read on here a lot and this site has been a real blessing. I hope you have had a good week and that the cymbalta is being kind to you! Blessings, Debra