PDA

View Full Version : anyone with gerd or gastritis? help?

peachychou
18-09-13, 01:30
Rewind to April, i remember eating some really spicy Korean food and the next morning waking up in agonising chest pain everytime i exhaled. The pain was so bad the doctor actually thought i might have a clot in my lung and was kept in for extensive tests.

Turned out to be severe gastritis and reflux from all the spice going into my gullet instead - weirdest thing ever - how does exhaling affect your stomach/esophagus?

Anyway i experienced it a second time after consuming too much chilli again - didn't worry me and i took my tummy meds.

Now a week ago i remember having Chinese food which isn't great for the insides - i started getting severe pain as soon as i lie down and exhale - and now it hurts to inhale!

The pain is even worse this time and despite taking my meds religiously it's still here.

I am scared it is actually my heart now not my stomach because it hurts to breathe and lying down hurts a lot.
Have you ever eaten something that aggravated your gerd and how long til the pain went away?
I was wondering if anyone else has woken up with stabbing chest pain that feels like it's throbbing and feels better when upright - was it gerd and can gerd cause breathing pain? Thank you.

Daisy Sue
18-09-13, 10:00
Yes.. I'd probably class these episodes as acute reflux, which can irritate all the linings of your upper digestive tract, including your eosophagus - & that's where you'll be feeling the breathing pain from. You can also get pain going through to your back when it's this bad... I've had it like that a few times :(

Watch your diet for a while, say 2 weeks, and just eat light foods but regularly. Keep off anything that could irritate further like acidic foods or drinks, fizzy drinks, strong coffee, or anything spicy. Also there are lots of over the counter things which can help in between your prescribed meds, but you need to tell the pharmacist what you're on to ensure there's no interaction, and also you'll need to space any bought meds carefully with your other ones.

I take Kolanticon which helps enormously, also Maalox is good.