PDA

View Full Version : Head scratching

donna x
18-09-13, 10:03
I am really embarrassed by this problem but I need help and wondered if anyone suffered the same or has any ideas on how I can stop. I have suffered from anxiety and depression over the last few years and currently taking 100mg of sertraline daily. For some reason I can’t stop scratching my head, I scratch until it bleeds then wait for the scab then continue scratching. I spoke to my GP about this last year and he said I have to stop or I will end up with a bald patch but I can’t seem to stop. I don’t even know I am doing it most of the time and I’ve had to start wearing gloves in bed now. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks guys xx

worried 101
18-09-13, 11:09
hey donna.
firstly don't be embarrassed! scratching is a very common side effect of anxiety, like tapping or fidgeting.
i sometime pick at my head and it will bleed and like you its sort of just a habit, sometimes its done quite absent mindlessly.
My advice would be this, wear a rubber band around your wrist when you start to scratch ping the elastic band on your wrist, it will cause a short sharp pain and then count to three and continue with your day.
I know this is hard when you don't even know your doing it at times but if you continue with the elastic band your mind will eventually catch on that scratching will cause you to us the elastic band and have that twange of pain and eventaully you will stop doing it. Sounds like a cray plan but my doctor gave it to me for when i was getting negative thoughts in my head and said that it really works.its a type of CBT practice.
Hope this might be of some help.
Take care.xx

Terencef
18-09-13, 13:31
I am really embarrassed by this problem but I need help and wondered if anyone suffered the same or has any ideas on how I can stop. I have suffered from anxiety and depression over the last few years and currently taking 100mg of sertraline daily. For some reason I can’t stop scratching my head, I scratch until it bleeds then wait for the scab then continue scratching. I spoke to my GP about this last year and he said I have to stop or I will end up with a bald patch but I can’t seem to stop. I don’t even know I am doing it most of the time and I’ve had to start wearing gloves in bed now. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks guys xx

Sounds like you need to exercise more , or and get out more , This will make you more tired . and should fall to sleep more easily . Get yourself an exciting hobby this might take your mind off the scratching.

Rennie1989
18-09-13, 14:36
I am a notorious hair puller, so I understand the frustration.

All I can suggest is to keep your hands busy. Get stress balls, play a game or take up a hobby that occupies your hands. You'll notice you only do it during anxiety so make sure you have something nearby to help. My hair pulling prompted me to really do something about the anxiety, I either did something about it or go bald. Since then I have some good hobbies and a better state of mind.

donna x
18-09-13, 14:50
I do have a few hobbies to keep me busy scuba diving and boot camp but its those other moments like watching tv, reading a book and even driving the car. It is so frustrating as I don't know I'm doing it until I see blood on my hands. I will try the elastic band but I don't want people to ask questions why I have an elastic band round my wrist.

I really need to get my hair cut but I've been delaying going, maybe I should just face it and deal with any questions. I suppose just continue working hard trying to beat anxiety and it should hopefully ease. Thanks for all your help and support. xx

xvolatileheart
18-09-13, 19:19
It's called dermatillomania and is a recognised impulse control disorder. It can be managed with therapy and/or medication. I pick my skin, pull out my hair and bite my nails, so I understand what you mean when you say you don't notice you're doing it! I agree that keeping a stress ball or something of the sort helps. Keep your hands busy with something else!

donna x
20-09-13, 19:18
Thank you.... dermatillomania that is me, picking my scalp where I thought there was a skin defect. I also bite my fingernails and skin around my fingernails. After searching the Internet about this disorder I feel much better and I'm not alone. It is more common that what I thought. I'll talk to my GP at my next appointment. In the mean time I'll try and keep my hands occupied. xx

xvolatileheart
21-09-13, 11:20
Glad it helped. You're certainly not alone!