PDA

View Full Version : have i suffered a breakdown??????

GAD
25-10-06, 19:21
I have been playing with the idea of buying the claire weekes book as so many of you on here recommend it. I looked at the link that nic kindly provided and read the frontcover. Now im panicking as it said about overcoming nervous illness/nervous breakdown. As my greatest fear is going mad and having a breakdown im now worried that all this time i DID in fact lose it and had a breakdown!! Im realy sorry if i offend anyone who has suffered a breakdown but because im so scared of it happening to me i cant read anything about it or give myself the chance to understand exactly what it is, otherwise i go straight into panic mode like i just have!! please can someone help. HAVE I HAD A BREAKDOWN because ive suffered anxiety and DOES THIS MEAN THAT I AM ACTUALLY MAD?????

chillx
25-10-06, 19:34
Hi

I read that a 'nervous breakdown' usually means a severe emotional or mental crisis that leaves a person unable to cope with day-to-day life. Stress is the most common factor in a breakdown, but your biological make-up, anxiety, paranoia (or a combination of all of these and other medical problems) may also contribute. In my case I would say that I had a breakdown because I could no longer function with day to day tasks i.e I couldn't go shopping or drive my car but I certainly did not look at myself as being mad. I would also say that I am recovering as I can now cope with these tasks.

Claire Weekes book is very good and has helped me to understand why I have been feeling this way. You also have to remember that this book was written in the 60's and some of the language is old fashioned and wouldn't be used in modern books. Please don't let this put you off reading the book.

chillx

nomorepanic
25-10-06, 19:35
GAD

No you haven't had a breakdown. You wouldn't really know about it if you did to be honest.

You are not mad either.

Try to calm down and see it as just anxiety and nothing more.

Get the book - you will love it.

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

GAD
25-10-06, 19:45
phewww - Thanks to both of you!

I now how ignorant i sound but when i was young people did refer to a breakdown as if it was madness. (there is alot os schitz in my family and i think thats why im so scared) Im sorry chillx if i might of upset you in any way. you have helped me alot with your post and I have stopped panicking now. I WILL buy the book.

I hope your doing alot better now.

Michelle.

tam
25-10-06, 20:39
hi gad you must read claire weeks book it makes you understand everything and know about why it happened.i am reading at the moment and its helping loads.i did have a breakdown and its good to read about why and what happened but it doesnt scare me with what it says its helped alot.The bits about breakdown in the book are not as you think they are going to be.tc tracy

bearcrazy
25-10-06, 23:38
hi,
i had a BREAKDOWN, BUT I DONT THINK I WENT MAD, just couldnt cope with everyday life. i'm reading a book called overcoming anxiety by helen kennerly which has scared me. according to her book i have GAD, OCD, social and health phobias, perhaps i am mad!

cfury
26-10-06, 01:39
Your not mad, your just overcome by depression. I always love to share my type of music with others, especially when I'm listening to it like I am currently. This song has a bit of profanity, but who doesn't hear those word in their head after so much sufferring? This song is about that breakdown you are probably talking about, and just getting sick of it. Here are the lyrics I hope will help you:

The moth_______ got in my head
Trying to make me someone else instead

It's my world now
it's my world now
it's my world...
it's my world...

Mama, why's it rainin' in my room
Cheer up boy clouds will move on soon
Heavy fog got me lost inside
I'm gonna sit right back and enjoy this ride

It's my world
You can't have it!
It's my world, It's my world
It's my world
You can't have it!
It's my world
You can't have it!
It's my world...Sucker!

I'm out my head, out my head
Get'em out my head, out my head
Get'em out

Who's in charge of my head today
Dancin' devils in angels way

It's my time now
it's my time now
it's my time...
it's my time...

Look out mot________ers here i come
I'm gonna make my head my home
The sons of bit____ tried to take my head
Tried to make me someone else instead

It's my world
You can't have it!
It's my world
You can't have it!
It's my world
You can't have it!
It's my world...Sucker!

Get'em out my head, out my head
Get'em out

Not only do i not know the answer
I don't even know what the question is

God it feels like it only rains on me

SUCKER!

Out my head, Get'em out

Enough's enough!

The lyrics are slightly raw for some people, but this is from Metallica's "worst" album yet. I personally like it more than their other work because it has a good connection with me.

cfury
26-10-06, 01:49
I'm getting lost in another song lol. Music can benefit anybody who hears it, so I will post the lyrics to Some Kind of Monster to prove that you are not alone. It is about how everybody eventually goes on rage and has a breakdown. It is a good song to release your anger, even if your not into heavy metal.

These are the eyes that can't see me
These are the hands that drop your trust
These are the boots that kick you around
This is the tongue that speaks on ths inside
These are the ears that ring with hate
This is the face that'll never change
This is the fist that grinds you down
This is the voice of silence no more

These are the legs in circles run
This is the beating you'll never know
These are the lips that taste no freedom
This is the feel that's not so safe
This is the face that you'll never change
This is the god that ain't so pure
This is the god that is not pure

We the people
Are we the people?

Some kind of monster (x3)
This monster lives

This is the face that stones you cold
This is the moment that needs to breathe
These are the claws that scratch these wounds
This is the pain that never leaves
This is the tongue that whips you down
This is the burden of every man
These are the screams that pierce your skin

This is the test of flesh and soul
This is the trap that smells so good
This is the flood that drains these eyes
These are the looks that chill to the bone
These are the fears that swing over head
These are the weights that hold you down
This is the end that will never end

We the people
Are we the people?

Some kind of monster (x3)
This monster lives

This is the cloud that swallows trust
This is the black that uncolors us
This is the face that you hide from
This is the mask that comes undone

Ominous
I'm in us

Kathy
26-10-06, 11:29
Im great fan of Claire Weekes. Funnily enough I was chatting with another person earlier this week who was totally freaked out by the use of the word breakdown. It seems to be very emotive. ClaireWeekes calls the condition nervous fatigue - which is what it is - nothing more - its your "nerves" being overstressed. You are not mad - if you were, you wouldnt know it. I'm coming out of the other side of an episode of "nervous fatigue" - you can do it too.

KathXX

kirgray
26-10-06, 12:35
OMG i bought the book and thought id had a nervous breakdown as well as it kept referring to this. This scared me as well x

taffysteve
26-10-06, 14:44
I can relate - but I remembered that this book was written years ago in a different time.

When I first saw that, I thought exactly the same as you. But, now I see it for what it is. An old-fashioned description of nervous exhaustion that means something a whole lot more in this day and age.

***And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance... I hope you dance***

juju
30-10-06, 22:42
all a breakdown means is what it says -a breakdown of your nervous system, i dont mean they are broke i mean that they are overworked and thats it, i used to think breakdown meant mental/crazy/nutty people,
im glad i know better now. apparently people used the term mental breakdown cos they didnt want to admit to having bad nerves.
julie

we are all stronger people after having this

missacorah
31-10-06, 08:57
Yes the book certainy made me feel I must have suffered a nervous breakdown. I am not so sure though - my mind still felt the same to me - it was just the horrible symptoms that took over my body, so maybe i didnt.

I think the problem is the stigma thats attatched to the name 'nervos breakdown' an dthat erhaps you will be perceived as weak or even mad!

I think if anything good has come out of my problems with anxiety its that I have leant never to judge people on things like this.

GAD
01-11-06, 22:30
Ive not bought the book yet. Partly because Ive not had the money and mostly because i still scared. I know i said i would and I WILL. But because the breakdown, madness, words are so frightening for me i dont want to delay my recovery because of a book that will make me feel ive suffered a breakdown. I KNOW, I KNOW that i am thinking of the term breakdown in the wrong sense but i need to get My head around that and prepare myself before i buy it. (i know i sound like a sad cow) but i find it soo hard to comprehend that even if i'd suffered a breakdown that wouldn't classify me as mad. I dont know if that makes any sense to you all!

Michelle.

Allie
01-11-06, 23:49
I cannot recommend Claire Weekes' 'Essential Help for your Nerves' highly enough! It's helped me so much and supported/supports me as I go through my recovery. Don't let the nervous breakdown thing put you off!
I was once told that even though you think your on the knive's edge, that edge is wider than you think and you'll never fall off. You are stronger than you think.

As Claire weeke's says herself 'as long as you want to recover you can!'

I've been scared I was on the brink of a nervous breakdown, and indeed my day to day functioning had long been comprimised by anxiety, but it only took the right therapy (and guidance from claire weekes' literature) to get me back on track. It turned out I hadn't really broken down at all. In four short months since therapy began i've gone from bedroombound hermit to someone who can confidently walk down the local high street with her head held high! There is still some way to go until I am fully recovered but i'm pointed in the right direction!

Recovery is never easy but it's worth the hard work!

My advice to you is to buy the book. It's literally life changing!

Take care,

Love Alison xXx

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD IS NOT THE VOICE OF GOD. IT JUST SOUNDS LIKE IT THINKS IT IS! Cheri Huber

snoopy
02-11-06, 13:30
Hi guys,

I've just started redding Claire Weeks, and i feel just so releaved. I thought that I had probably had had a nervous breakdon last year, but instead was convinced I had a physical illness. Which I haven't, thank god!!!

The book makes complete sense to me and It's really helping me to understand what happend to my nerves last year. my son was only four months when I started to get the headaches, and from there I began to feel very odd. Then came the miscarriage, which just sent me over the edge. Then came the( palps) day in day out, panic attacks etc. no one could help. My Doc tried to, husband, friends etc. But it is only you guys that know how it feels to get like this, when you think you have gone mad! and going to die. So I will finish the book, and follow the Lindon method. And take every day as it comes. Expecting baby No. four any day now.
Snoopy x

samc100
02-11-06, 14:42
Hi Gad - I was the same as you in hating the label of breakdown. But now I can see it does not matter, call it want you want. It is only a word.

I see Breakdown as the need for your body to stop and recover from the stresses of the busy world.

I can even remember the first time I used the word breakdown and accepted it could refer to me and it wasn't scarey.

I found the Claire Weekes book de-mystified what had happened to me and made sense of it which was very calming and reassuring. So please don't be scared to read it.

Fly2Freedom
03-11-06, 13:50
Hi.
breakdown is a broad term for a severe mental crisis or distress.
It affects people in different ways.
Not everyone goes mad or hears voices.
I have seen two people who went mad and were admitted into hospital with their breakdowns.
Myself I have had many breakdowns the most recent being in July of this year and Im suffering from nervous exhaustion or adrenal fatigue.
You are not mad but the symptoms are distressing trust me I know.

Love and best wishes.
x Fly x