PDA

View Full Version : red wine and breast cancer

guiltyw
25-10-06, 20:34
I can't believe it, I read an article in NOW magazine yesterday, it stated that some Australian research has found that drinking red wine is linked to breast cancer.

I suffer from really bad health anxiety, and cancer is my biggest worry. I find having a glass of red wine in the evening helps me wind down from these thoughts, and now I am too scared to do this.

Why does it seem that everything we put in our bodies is somehow linked to this illness.

Just wondered if anyone else had come across this research.

Guilty x.

nomorepanic
25-10-06, 20:42
I have never heard of this. I was always told that red wine is good for you.

Check out this page though.......

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6077034.stm

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

Quirky
25-10-06, 22:13
Hi there,

Yes I have heard this several times. My Mum died from breast cancer and I know I am probably at a slightly higher risk of getting it genetically so I have read alot about this and been referred to a genetic team for evaluation.
There are several studies that say drinking alcohol (especially wine) increases the risk. They mean people that drink every day really though, the occasional drink is fine. Having one glass of wine every night may increase your risk but only slightly, I think they say 2-3 glasses per day is a much bigger risk. The charity cancer research uk mention alcohol being a risk on their website, if you're really worried have a look at one of the charity websites.
I think the thing to remember though is everything in moderation, there are many risks and one thing in particular may not make much difference if you don't have other risk factors. Remember too that there are many things that are supposedly bad for us in some way or another and we can't worry about them all or we would never eat or drink anything. I have bad health anxiety too though so I do understand.

Take care,

Lisa x

nomorepanic
25-10-06, 22:32
We need to keep this in context though.

Everything we eat and drink can cause cancer apparently

we can't live and worry about it 24/7

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

tam
25-10-06, 22:37
hi guilty this has shocked me so much.my aunt had breast cancer and was advised to drink red wine as there was suppose to be something good in it.i have to agree with nic here if you listened to everythig we wouldnt be eating or drinking anything.

anxious
26-10-06, 09:11
oh great! well im stuffed then! I think i'll give up reading lol,

anx x

Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects

MissChampers
26-10-06, 12:14
I think everything in moderation won't do you any harm.
I actually read that people who drink moderately live longer than people who don't touch a drop of alcohol so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Jem27
26-10-06, 12:20
Drink white wine then, hehe. Its what I do. Red is supposed to be good for you though.