PDA

View Full Version : Suicidal Tendencies - Mirtazapine

revotse
20-09-13, 01:00
Hi all,

My father was diagnosed with depression and prescribed anti-depressants on Friday 30th August and committed suicide on Monday 2nd September. The police have taken the medication out of the house but I found a leaflet with some basic information on Mirtazapine, so i'm assuming thats what he was taking.

Without going in to too much detail, he did it in quite a barbaric way and considering he worked in a hospital for 20 years I'm sure he would have known ways of doing it much less painfully. He was a 50 year old man, was 5 foot and underweight (6 1/2 stone).

Is this kind of thing common? And is 3 or 4 days enough time to have these kinds of side effects?

Any kind of information would be really appreciated at this time, as it would give me closure to whether it was an effect of the pills or whether it was his right mind.

Thanks

hanshan
20-09-13, 04:09
First, can I say how sorry I am to hear about your father. It must be having a terrible effect on you.

Depression is a terrible thing, and can make people feel that there is no hope, when it's not true.

Some antidepressants have been linked to suicidal thoughts in young people, but the reverse is true for older people. Your father's death is almost certainly due to his depression and the mirtazapine not having had enough time to have a beneficial effect.

Once again, the thoughts of everyone on this forum are with you.

sambomonkee
20-09-13, 11:41
Let me start by saying how sorry I am for your loss.

In answer to your question, 3-4 days on that Medication is not going to take affect that quickly, it at minimum takes a week before anything is felt, the only side effect he may have had that early on is sleepiness and the "munchies". I should now as I have been on them for a couple of months now.

The suicide is most likely down to his mood and distorted view of the world, again I know as I have been there, so unlikely much anybody could have done if the intent was stronge enough.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Magic
20-09-13, 12:03
So sorry to hear about your Dad,
I cannot comment about the medication as I know nothing about them.
I tend to agree with what hanssan has said. So sorry

AuntieMoosie
20-09-13, 12:07
Firstly, I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved Dad.

I agree with sambomonkee, I don't think it would have been the anti depressant that lead to this tragedy, it would more likely have been his own state of mind due to his depression.

Once again, I'm so sorry, my thoughts are with you at this very sad time.