PDA

View Full Version : My little cat has to stay at the vets tonight :(

Annie0904
22-09-13, 21:30
My little one year old Siamese bit a lily petal this morning. I moved him straight away but tonight he has started vomiting. Lilies are very toxic to cats. I called the vet and she told me to take him straight there and they have put him on a drip to pump fluids through his kidneys.
She said she is sure he has just eaten too much tonight (he did gulp his food down and most of my other cats) but better to be save than sorry and he needs to be on the drip as a precaution. They will sedate him and put the drip in and she said she will have to shave some fur of where the drip goes in.
The worst is that there is no one on the vets during the night and the thought of him being on his own is making me really anxious. I haven't stopped crying since I left him. i can't phone the vets until 9am. I am blaming myself because someone bought me the lilies and I put them in a vase on a little table near my chair. I didn't think he would go near them. I should have known better. :weep::weep::weep:

lizzie29
22-09-13, 21:52
Ahh Annie, sorry to hear this. The vet sounds positive though, which is good. If he's eaten too much then hopefully he'll sleep well and won't notice being alone. Just think how often he must go wandering alone in the day and is fine :-)
Don't blame yourself, you didn't think he'd go near them. Accidents happen.
Hopefully tomorrow you'll have him back and you can give him lots of cuddles :-)

Annie0904
22-09-13, 21:59
Thank you Lizzie, He doesn't go out of the house, only when I am in the garden with him. I can't wait to have him back tomorrow. The house is so quiet without him he is always running about and playing and sitting on my lap. I am so worried that no one is at the vets with him. :(

lizzie29
22-09-13, 22:05
Surely the vets wouldn't have left him unless they knew he'd be ok? Are you thinking that or more the lack of company for him?

Annie0904
22-09-13, 22:15
Both :( Honestly the vet must think I'm mad I was stood crying saying "What if he tries to pull the drip out, what if he needs the toilet (they will give him his own litter tray), Can I not just take him home with the drip!"

lizzie29
22-09-13, 22:42
I'm sure they're used to people being upset and worried, so don't worry about that!

Annie0904
22-09-13, 22:44
Thank you Lizzie and thank you for replying. I have been doing so well lately and don't want this to knock me back. Hopefully I will have good news in the morning and have him back home for cuddles. xx

frosty2901
22-09-13, 22:44
annie of course you feel like this hes your baby
Im sure he will be fine and if hes asleep he wont even realise no ones there
hope you manage to get some sleep and wait fir the good news in the morning

frosty xxxx:hugs::hugs:

Annie0904
22-09-13, 22:45
Thank you Frosty, I appreciate your reply..honestly I worry about my cats as much as I do about my kids!

lizzie29
22-09-13, 22:48
It won't knock you back. You're worried now, but tomorrow he'll be back soon and you'll relax again. Glad to hear you're doing well! X

Annie0904
22-09-13, 22:54
Thanks Lizzie. I think it is worse for me today because someone I knew passed away yesterday morning and I was already upset about that, although I know for him it was for the best, he was elderly and very ill and told me on Thursday that he didn't want to live any more.

Edie
22-09-13, 23:41
I'm sorry about your cat, and also to hear of your loss. Your cat is in the best place. The big risk to cats is from Lily pollen, so your cat stands a very good chance after eating a petal. I hope there will be good news from the vet tomorrow!

Annie0904
23-09-13, 07:41
Thank you Edie. I had taken the pollen heads out of the lilies so they were not a risk. I thought that was the poisonous part but the whole lily is poisonous. I can phone the vets at 9 so will update then.

Tessar
23-09-13, 08:05
Oh poor baby kitty and poor you too. Yes it's an anxious wait but the vet did sound confident. I agree too that the vets are used to owners being upset. they know that our kitties are precious and that is why we gt upset. Anyway, don't blame yourself, Annie, you'd never do anything to hurt your kitties (or anything or anyone) Annie. It can be put down to experience this whole thing. It's a one off and because of that it's not going to set you back, really it won't. It's understandable you'd feel emotional about this, I most certainly would too if it were my cat. You'll be able to check soon... :-)

Annie0904
23-09-13, 09:04
Thank youTessar. The vet has phoned and my little kittie is fine. Kidney results normal. Liver a little high but she thinks that might be normal for him. She wants to keep him on the drip all morning and I can bring him home at 2. I had best get the insurance claim form as I think this is turning out to be a very expensive bunch of flowers!

almamatters
23-09-13, 09:08
Glad your cat is doing well Annie hope he is home with you soon . :) x

Tessar
23-09-13, 09:11
Thank youTessar. The vet has phoned and my little kittie is fine. Kidney results normal. Liver a little high but she thinks that might be normal for him. She wants to keep him on the drip all morning and I can bring him home at 2. I had best get the insurance claim form as I think this is turning out to be a very expensive bunch of flowers!

I am very glad he is ok. you can relax now.
Remind me never to send you flowers :flowers::flowers::flowers::flowers:

Annie0904
23-09-13, 09:50
He eats rose petals as well but those are not poisonous. I have to say I am surprised he has got to a year old without needing some sort of treatment because he eats anything and everything! My older cat is much more sensible and seems to know what is good for him and what isn't :) I have to be brave and assertive now and tell my friend that I really appreciate and love the flowers but please don't buy me any more lilies....does that sound cheeky? I am sure he will understand as he keeps encouraging me to be more assertive and he will most likely be pleased that I have been brave enough to tell him.

bernie1977
23-09-13, 10:20
So sorry to hear about your cat Annie, that must have been a frightening experience. Glad to hear he's ok and fit for home soon.

Annie0904
23-09-13, 11:04
Thanks Bernie...yes it was very frightening for me and I can't wait to get him home. I have a dreadful headache today with all the crying and lack of sleep :(

bernie1977
23-09-13, 11:06
Oh dear crying headaches are awful, you have my sympathy. A good rest for you and your cat this afternoon when you get him back xx

Annie0904
23-09-13, 11:12
Thank you Bernie...I can't wait to cuddle with him :)

Annie0904
23-09-13, 15:19
My little baby is home with a bald patch on his paw :( They had to shave it to put the drip in.

Annie0904
23-09-13, 15:19

bernie1977
23-09-13, 15:34
He looks a handsome but very assertive chap!! Glad he's home, give him a stroke and scratch from me Annie xx

meche
23-09-13, 15:45
Oh he is beautiful Annie. So happy he's ok and back at home. This shocked me slightly because I didn't know about the cat/lillies thing and I had some in my house a few weeks ago for my birthday. They were pretty much out of Pepper's reach but the thought...... :huh:! Won't be getting them again and will tell people not to buy them for me! xx

AlexandriaUK
23-09-13, 15:54
Hi so glad to here you cat is home and fine, I cant have lillies in the house they give me terrific head aches.

Annie0904
23-09-13, 17:41
Thank you everyone. He has slept nearly all afternoon but is happy to be home :)

AuntieMoosie
23-09-13, 19:33
Aww Annie what a fright that must have been for you.

I'm so glad that he's back home with you now hun, he sure is a handsome chap :D

Sorry about the loss of your friend too, is this the old man that you were visiting in hospital hun??

almamatters
23-09-13, 19:55
Glad your cat is back home Annie, he looks beautiful! x

MRS STRESS ED
23-09-13, 20:17
aw Annie im glad your beautiful cat is back home with you ,I know how worried you must of been love my pets like you do :D

Annie0904
23-09-13, 20:20
Thank you Alma and Mrs Stress!ed :)
Auntie Moosie, yes it was the man I was visiting in hospital, his funeral will be on Friday :(

Tessar
23-09-13, 21:28
Thank you Alma and Mrs Stress!ed :)
Auntie Moosie, yes it was the man I was visiting in hospital, his funeral will be on Friday :(

I'll b thinking about u on Friday. I'm so glad your kitty is ok, love the pic and his baldy patch.....

lizzie29
23-09-13, 21:32
Yay he's home! Glad he's okay. Bet you'll sleep well tonight :-)
Sorry to hear about your friend though. :-(

Annie0904
23-09-13, 21:49
Thank you Tessar and lizzie. I just noticed he also has a bald patch under his chin so I dont know what that was for :( my poor baby :(

panickyme
24-09-13, 02:16
Awww Annie, so sorry for you and your kitty. That little kitty is not so little anymore, he grew so fast. I am so glad he is well, and back in his home with you. A month or so ago, my little Dachshund went after a frog (do you have frogs over there?) anyway they are very poisonous to dogs, same thing, vomiting, trip to the vet, over night stay, and then back home. We just love them so much, they are like our children. I just got 2 little puppies (I must be crazy) more to worry about, but I love them. I couldn't choose between the 2 so I picked both. :D I hope you are doing well, and your kitty also. I am also so sorry for your loss. :hugs: Debbi

Edie
24-09-13, 12:37
Wow, he's a very grand gentleman!

Glad he is home now. Sleeping sounds very normal. He'll have been anxious and staying alert at the vets. Now he's home he feels safe and wants to catch up on his sleep!

bernie1977
24-09-13, 13:11
Sorry to hear about your friend Annie. hope you're okay on Friday, I'll be thinking of you.

Glad your little boy is on the mend. We had a drama last night, mine was limping badly I thought he'd broken his leg. The vet said it was a sprain. The fun begins now trying to get medication down him

Speranza
24-09-13, 13:53
My cat has had lots of shaved legs - we call it 'Chikkin Leg' cos that's what it looks like - and as the stubble regrows it is SOOOOOOOO soft to touch! Glad he's ok. :D

AuntieMoosie
24-09-13, 14:11
Aww I am so sorry about that poor man, but at least he's not suffering anymore now hun.

I'll be thinking of you on Friday hun, it's so kind of you to go to his funeral too.

I'm glad that your cat is doing better now, they can half cause us some fright and worry can't they?!!! :hugs:

Annie0904
24-09-13, 18:33
Awww Annie, so sorry for you and your kitty. That little kitty is not so little anymore, he grew so fast. I am so glad he is well, and back in his home with you. A month or so ago, my little Dachshund went after a frog (do you have frogs over there?) anyway they are very poisonous to dogs, same thing, vomiting, trip to the vet, over night stay, and then back home. We just love them so much, they are like our children. I just got 2 little puppies (I must be crazy) more to worry about, but I love them. I couldn't choose between the 2 so I picked both. :D I hope you are doing well, and your kitty also. I am also so sorry for your loss. :hugs: Debbi

Debbi I am so pleased to hear from you :) I have missed you. Yes we do have frogs over here:) I was sitting on the bed feeding my youngest (23 years ago!) and my daughter then aged 3 ran into the bedroom and said "Look what I found" and dropped a frog on the bed :) Do you have a picture of your puppies?

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:29 ----------

Wow, he's a very grand gentleman!

Glad he is home now. Sleeping sounds very normal. He'll have been anxious and staying alert at the vets. Now he's home he feels safe and wants to catch up on his sleep!

It is so lovely to have him home, he is playing 'fetch' with his toy tiger :D

---------- Post added at 18:31 ---------- Previous post was at 18:30 ----------

Sorry to hear about your friend Annie. hope you're okay on Friday, I'll be thinking of you.

Glad your little boy is on the mend. We had a drama last night, mine was limping badly I thought he'd broken his leg. The vet said it was a sprain. The fun begins now trying to get medication down him

Aww your poor Kittie...I hope his leg gets better soon.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:31 ----------

My cat has had lots of shaved legs - we call it 'Chikkin Leg' cos that's what it looks like - and as the stubble regrows it is SOOOOOOOO soft to touch! Glad he's ok. :D

They told me that Siamese cats tend to get the fur growing back a different colour so he might end up with a patch on his leg.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:33 ----------

Aww I am so sorry about that poor man, but at least he's not suffering anymore now hun.

I'll be thinking of you on Friday hun, it's so kind of you to go to his funeral too.

I'm glad that your cat is doing better now, they can half cause us some fright and worry can't they?!!! :hugs:

Thank you Auntie Moosie :) :hugs::hugs::hugs:

Tessar
24-09-13, 18:39
They told me that Siamese cats tend to get the fur growing back a different colour so he might end up with a patch on his leg

Now that would be kind of funny wouldn't it!!!!!

Annie0904
24-09-13, 19:27
:D Yes it would be kind of cute :)

---------- Post added at 19:27 ---------- Previous post was at 18:47 ----------

I have just noticed that my cat hasn't purred since he came home and he usually purrs a lot :(

Edie
24-09-13, 19:31
Poor chap is probable just a bit upset by it all. He'll settle pretty quick and be back to his purry self again soon I am sure.

Annie0904
24-09-13, 19:38
I hope so :( He usually purrs so loud and non stop. He just doesn't seem so happy.

panickyme
25-09-13, 12:24
Aww Annie, you always have the best stories! I really missed you also. :hugs:I am not sure how to post a pictures, :doh: but my son is really good at that, so I will try to get him to help me post the pups. They are precious, but a lot of work. (all worth it though) How is your little Kitty doing? Did he purr yet? He's probably mad he had to go. I will be thinking of you also on Friday, I know how hard that is. Hope you are well. :hugs: Debbi

Annie0904
25-09-13, 16:07
He is purring again :) I let him sleep in my bed last night so that I could keep a check on him. He woke me up at 5 am licking my back!!

Tessar
25-09-13, 16:44
It's cute when kitties sleep with us in the bed... :-)

Annie0904
25-09-13, 19:22
It is but not when they keep waking us :) He is going in his own bed tonight!

Tessar
25-09-13, 19:30
Awwwwwwww poor baby. He can come on my bed any time!!!!!

Annie0904
25-09-13, 19:59
He stretches out and leaves you with about 8" of bed! The other cat snores even louder than my husband!

Tessar
26-09-13, 17:20
He stretches out and leaves you with about 8" of bed! The other cat snores even louder than my husband!

Velly funny!!!!!!