PDA

View Full Version : Stuck in a rut

R.Barratt
22-09-13, 22:30
Hello Everyone hoping you are all well :)
I have been struggling with depression anxiety paranoia self harm for 5 years i am now 18 years old. I have had counselling but havent yet found anything that helps but i am still looking for a councillor. A month ago i was put on antidepressants.
The past week i have really struggled to get out but then i have been bored and depressed that i have bee stuck in the house. I dont like being on my own but i feel agitated around people also. I never feel relaxed. And i keep crying for no reason. I dont understand why i am depressed at this moment in time, i just am. I understand the core issues of why i have depression but i dont feel they are as much as a problem as they were before. When i am crying i am not thinking of these issues i am just feeling depressed.
Does anyone else have any tips or activities to keep the mind occupied to prevent the anxiety and depressing feelings and thoughts?
Sorry if i have not made any sense. xxx

Emphyrio
23-09-13, 23:01
Hello :)

What antidepressants and what dosage if you don't mind me asking? I ask because when you're just starting out on them you'll find that depression and anxiety are magnified. For me anyway, they take around 4-6 weeks to start working, so you may feel them 'kicking in' in the next week or two.

It can be a vicious circle though - not feeling that you've done much with your time can make you feel bad, then you lack the motivation to do anything else, etc. What I think can really help are little things - go for a walk, do some tidying, artwork etc, whatever hobbies you have. I know you said you feel agitated around people, but doing something like voluntary work can make a huge difference - and it can be healing in itself.

Hope everything works out for you - also, sometimes it can take a while to find a good counsellor/CBT practitioner so I wouldn't give up with it :)

nosweat
28-09-13, 04:49
Hey, you make perfect sense, everything you described sounds like depression/anxiety. It sounds like you have tried a lot like therapists which is great. Don't feel like you've failed if you haven't found a way out yet. The key is to keep trying new things and searching. Like the person above said, don't forget about your favorite things and hobbies. Being around animals helps me a lot. I hope you feel better :)

uklad
29-09-13, 19:31
you've just described how my life is! Is tough to break out of the vicious circle just have to keep trying :)