PDA

View Full Version : Do most people have one illness fear or switch from one to another?!

Gee
23-09-13, 13:29
I am only scared of one illness and that's what all my symptoms point to in my opinion - I don't move on to others and I don't find new things to worry about - does that mean it's less likely to be HA?

I don't worry about cancer or heart problems or anything just the one degenerative terminal illness that is MS :(

Everyone says it's not that common but I feel like I know a lot of people that have it and that worries me :(

vicky23
23-09-13, 14:20
I think any worries about your health is classed as health anxiety even if you actually have an illness and worry about it's affect it has on your life then you still are labelled as having health anxiety.

almamatters
23-09-13, 15:07
I am only scared of one illness and that's what all my symptoms point to in my opinion - I don't move on to others and I don't find new things to worry about - does that mean it's less likely to be HA?

I don't worry about cancer or heart problems or anything just the one degenerative terminal illness that is MS :(

Everyone says it's not that common but I feel like I know a lot of people that have it and that worries me :(

Like Vicky said in her post, I would think this is still classed as HA when you just worry about the one condition. Dwelling on an illness when doctors have ruled it out or at least said it is unlikely you have it, is health anxiety. My conditions and symptoms seem to change roughly weekly and it is really getting me down at the moment. Take Care. x

Darren1
23-09-13, 16:36
Gee

Mine focuses on one illness in particular, cancer. I am even focused down to the type and prognosis. I believe I have the symptoms of advanced melanoma, even though I have no skin lesion. I did have a skin lesion which has vanished but I'm convinced the cancer spread through my body.

Like you, I think this means it's less likely to be HA because my symptoms are lasting and consistent.

I know how you are feeling but please like me, take comfort in the negative tests - it would be extremely unlikely that tests would not show up stuff - especially with such obvious symptoms.