PDA

View Full Version : Chesty cough, rattling in chest

GirlAfraid23
23-09-13, 19:23
Should I be worried?

I have a horrible chesty cough, when I breathe in I can hear/feel a rattling/vibrating noise.

I have to go to work tomorrow, I have already had one day off recently.

Does anyone think I should go to the GP? Or let it run to course?

I have a fear of pneumonia :(

mummyanxious
23-09-13, 19:30
Phlegm can rattle in your chest without you having an infection. Usually if its upper they're not too worried. But only the dr will be able to tell by listening. Hope you get on ok

GirlAfraid23
23-09-13, 19:36
Phlegm can rattle in your chest without you having an infection. Usually if its upper they're not too worried. But only the dr will be able to tell by listening. Hope you get on ok

Do you think going to the doc is a good idea then?

It feels as though its lower not upper but I might be wrong.
I can't get the time off to go to the doctor so not sure what to do.

mummyanxious
23-09-13, 19:39
I would go just so they can have a listen yes. If it was an infection better to get antibiotics sooner and get them working.

---------- Post added at 19:39 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

And I completely relate with the work thing as I'm stuffed with having any time off too :(

GirlAfraid23
23-09-13, 19:42
I want to go to docs but not sure how I will get an appointment :( with my surgery, you have to phone up at 8 in the morning and wait for a call back, I can't do that while I'm at work.

mummyanxious
23-09-13, 19:44
Can they not call you at work/on mobile? I have the same with mine. Seems to be te way forward these days.

suki300
23-09-13, 19:47
You'll only need antibiotics if you have a temperature. Do you have a thermometer? It you don't have a temperature, it will be viral and they'll only tell you to drink lots of fluids, take paracetamol etc. If you want to try and clear it a little, try sitting in a steamy bathroom, it might help.

GirlAfraid23
23-09-13, 19:48
Well they can but not sure ill be able to answer as I work in a school and will be with the kids in the classroom.

---------- Post added at 19:48 ---------- Previous post was at 19:47 ----------

You'll only need antibiotics if you have a temperature. Do you have a thermometer? It you don't have a temperature, it will be viral and they'll only tell you to drink lots of fluids, take paracetamol etc. If you want to try and clear it a little, try sitting in a steamy bathroom, it might help.

I don't have a temperature. Yes that's what I might have to do I think.

mummyanxious
23-09-13, 20:24
Steam is great I agree. Even if its only sitting I we a bowl with a towel over your head a few times a day.
I had a temperature when I had an infection so agree with the above.

hangingbasket
23-09-13, 21:05
my mother has been taken into hospital today and they are treating her with severe pneumonia. she has had two lots of antibiotics which havent worked. she is currently on and IV drip.
Im not saying this to panic you, Im telling you because she is in ALOT of pain. She has been suffering for 3 months and is barely able to get from bed to the bathroom. She is very breathless and can barely talk because her voice is more or less gone.
I wouldnt worry about pneumonia unless you are THIS sick, but it's worth seeing a GP in case its something that needs a course of antibiotics x