PDA

View Full Version : The hope fades....

static
26-10-06, 14:30
How goes it fellow anxiety sufferers.

I've stumbled across this amazing website in my hunt for an answer. The same old one you probably have all asked yourself.. why me?

About 5 years ago I started having some pretty horrific panic/anxiety attacks that I had no idea what they were, thinking I was having a heart attack I ended up in A&E one day. After being told what it was and given some diazepam i was sent home to get over it etc.. :)

How I wish that was the case :( I left home that summer and moved to Reading where it all kicked off, to the point I couldn't leave my bed, I was in a state of constant panic and of course was hoping not to wake up one morning once I had managed to get to sleep that is. This went on for a few months until a friend who had been through something quite similar dragged me by the scruff of my neck to the doctors. Convinced I was going mad the doctor prescribed me some Venlafaxine and after a couple of weeks of being as high as a kite I finally started to get some normality back in my life, i felt re-born in a way. [:P]

Since then i've done my masters degree and worked for a couple of years, I weaned myself of the lowest dose of VH and I have been without for 9 months now, I even quit smoking 4 months ago and have become a fitness fantatic.

I'd since landed my 'dream' job. Amazing how everything was coming together, I though i'd got past the anxiety and put it down to the big step of moving away from home.

Well no need to guess what's happened! It all gone a bit pete tong. [B)]

Since starting my new job 3 weeks ago i'm a right mess, i've ended up telling my mentor what the problem is and excusing myself for a couple of days. I was keeping in there dealing with it but this morning it was too much, i lost control and was in a constant state of panic.

I've made an appointment with my doctor for monday and i'm getting a thyroid injection with some accupuncture. But I fear i'll have to go back on the Venlafaxine. I blew up like a balloon and had real trouble waking up, took about 4 hours before I was compus mentus.

I'm worried that it'll affect how my new colleagues see me, i feel weakened by the addmission but I had no choice. I've always pro-actively seeked ways to chill out and relax. I know a lot about my dis-order but i can't take control of it. I'm feeling pretty low at this point and the hope that I had at the beginning of this year when i came off the Venlafaxine has faded.

Any suggestions how to deal with it would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

D

yorkylover
26-10-06, 14:33
Hi Static and welcome to the forum.You will get some helpfull advise here,we are all in the same rocky boat.There are fantastic people here.Your not alone,and you will get so much support from the forum.:)

Ellen XX

nomorepanic
26-10-06, 18:19
Hi D

Just wanted to welcome you aboard and hope we can be of some help on here.

Sorry to hear you have started panic'ing again.

This is probably just a blip and does not mean you are back at square one.

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

Nicola

static
26-10-06, 19:08
Hi Nicola and Ellen, thankyou for your words of support, i do hope I am not back at square one, it's just one of those low points which is heightened by the pressure to succeed within my new job. I'll keep you posted on my progress. I've already been looking into Reiki and Hypnotherapy as possible means of finding a solution from reading some of the posts on the website.

Just want to let you know how much it has meant to me to actually find this website, I can't believe I have never been here before, it's already helping me to cope.

Thankyou.

D

honeybee3939
26-10-06, 19:16
Hi Static,

A BIG warm welcome to you, lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice here and make new friends on the way!:D

Love

Andrea
xxxx

ugy
26-10-06, 19:52
Hey static!

You've been making your dreams come true, sounds like you're nothing like your pseudonym!

There's this old cliche about only being able to have a setback because you've already made progress. It's true.

I'm receiving Cognitive and Behavioral Therapy which aims to reveal your own thinking process and get to the root of your (our) anxious behaviour. It's been quite slow going but it is starting to have a real effect on my confidence on getting to the other side of this anxiety.

I can't recommend it strongly enough.

Keep positive and remember that if it's your dream job, you are their dream employee. Don't be hard on yourself and be sure that this is a temporary setback.

Love,
ugy

Take my adrenal gland. Please.

mad_shell66
27-10-06, 08:21
heya D,

welcome to no more panic.

you will get all the advise and support you need here

shellx

static
27-10-06, 20:22
Hallo again guys, i was out and about today, was a bit tough, but after being in the supermarket for a while it eased off. Feeling better for and went to waterstones and picked up a few books which i'm reading through at the moment, already picked up some relaxation tips.

Thanks for all your replies,

Cheers,

D

keepemlaughing
28-10-06, 00:20
Hey static, you sound like someone who has great potential. don't let a little anxiety keep you down. I agree that is was probably just the stress of the unknown that crept in to confuse you. Keep your head up and keep coming back, it works if you work it, so work it cause you're worth it. (From AA)
:D

Sheryl

brenda
28-10-06, 10:30
When you go back to your doc why dont you tell him how you feel about taking the medication.
Get him to give you something different. There are lots of medications available that wont have the side affects that you had
It takes a while to find a suitable one sometimes so persevere and keep going back till you get sorted

Hope that helps
Pam
PS have a look at this site too www.nopanic.org.uk they have a support group as well. I am doing a telephone course with them. It cost £10 to join and the course is free and its really good. tells you how to cope and how to relax etc

static
29-10-06, 20:04
Thanks Brenda, i'll have a chat with him and find out what else is available.Sheryl thanks for your kind words of support, i'll work it till it works ;)

Back to the big bad world tomorrow! Let's see how it goes....

----Time exists just on your wrists so don't panic, moments last and lifetimes are lost in a day, so wind your watches down please, because there is no time to lose, i don't want to stay here indefinitely ----

Travis - Indefinitely

trac67
29-10-06, 21:00
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'