PDA

View Full Version : Fear of losing my pets

worrywoman
24-09-13, 00:08
I've decided to take the plunge, for the first time and admit my worries.
I have always been an animal person. Always wanted a career (which I have just recently started to make a step forward with) , and up untill a year ago I never worried about this. it started when I got a Siamese kitten, whom I love alot :)
My youngest son developed a cold, and upon looking online I came across symptoms of "cat allergies" ... from that day on I had/have an irrational, which I know is irrational, fear of my children developing a cat allergy to our Siamese, and I would have to give him up, without any control over the situation.
this fear has never left me, although it calmed down, and I went onto getting 2 dogs. the fear began again later on and it prevented me from wanting to bond with them and it's stopped me enjoying them. 3 weeks ago, I was applying online for an rspca job, and came across some articles about the way they have been making excuses to seize ppls pets for silly reasons and lieing to gain seizure, prosecution, and publicity. (Google it to see for yourselves). now I have a terrible fear that this will happen to me ! ... I know it's irrational and I've tried to tell myself this, but it's taking over my whole life. I'm he sort I person who gains security in life through what I will "always" have and what will always be there, apart from at death. I don't know how to deal with this, and I'm terrified I will fall victim of this and mine and my childrens lives will be turned upset down and they will be taken from us. I feel silly saying all this, but I really needed to say it

---------- Post added at 00:08 ---------- Previous post was at 00:03 ----------

The fear of losing them this way makes me feel the loss of grief before it has even happened yet ! .... I ant to enjoy my animals again, and I want to encourage my children to aswell, animals are a big part of me and without them half of me would die inside. my children and family make up one part of me and animals make up another part of me. I feel so vulnerable and insecure that I feel although I am grieving ? am I crazy ?!!

gypcyg
24-09-13, 00:10
I have an allergy to cats (though not all of them strangely) and I live in a house with a lovely black and white adult cat. To stop my allergy flaring up I make sure the cat never goes into my bedroom, stays off the seat that I sit in and finally I always wash my hands immediately after I stroke her. Tell your son to follow these 3 simple steps and they can live happily side by side!

worrywoman
24-09-13, 16:48
yeh I looked up on the ways to cope with it "if it happens" .. but I think it's the not wining in control of a situation that terrifies me and all the uncertainty, if that makes sense ?