PDA

View Full Version : Am I still agoraphobic?

melbee
24-09-13, 04:14
Ok so here's my little story.

When I started having panic attacks at 16, i ended up being housebound for a very short time.

I'm now 21 and I'm no longer housebound. I can travel alone in bus to go see my boyfriend who lives 11 hours away (16 hours in bus) I can take walks around town but I could not imagine myself walking around in a big city with lots of trafic without my boyfriend or other person. I just feel like I would be scared and panic.

I'm planning on moving with my boyfriend in a much larger city than where I live now. It's obviously stressing me out but I feel I can do it if I do exposure right away in my new city.

Thinking about driving away by myself is stressing me out. But I've never really did it before (i just had my driver's licence...)

I'm able to go shopping by myself but sometimes on some days, I prefer having my boyfriend with me... depends on how I've slept and my degree of anxiety because sometimes, it can get my anxiety up. I still get feelings of anxiety when grocery shopping sometimes but I don,t have to run away like I did before...

I know I still have some things to do to get better but am I still consider agoraphobic?

danivsdani
24-09-13, 08:32
whoa i'm really impressed by that 16 hour trip you can take! i'd say agoraphobia or not you're doing pretty great! on a scale of agoraphobic 1-5 1 being housebound and 5 being total freedom i'd say you're a 3 or 4 which is pretty awesome. good luck and great work so far ;]

melbee
24-09-13, 14:49
Thank you! I will keep on work on it and hopefully one day I can hit that 5! haha

Bonnibelle
26-09-13, 12:19
I would say if you have it, then it's very mild.

You are doing very well, I couldn't do what you do. Well done x

Hopeandlove
14-11-13, 14:32
just wanted to say look up exposure therapy [what you are doing and very well!] and it's importance in anxiety and avoidance ,it's the only way to get over it!

MargaretHale
29-11-13, 14:22
Wow! amazing, at the moment I can't do a ten minute bus trip to my local supermarket..well done. How did you do it?

x

patt
02-12-13, 17:28
I think you are not agarophobic you have the concerns wich are common to a lot of people.
Go ahead and do what you want!!
You will feel great!!!

cheshirecatqee
17-12-13, 16:50
You have pretty much got everything under control now but it could come back so keep working on staying relaxed in stressful situations