PDA

View Full Version : Coping with anxiety at work?

Skye Winter
25-09-13, 09:00
Hiya all.
Just wondered if anybody could kindly give me some advice, as I'm struggling again with anxiety :weep:

I work full time (9am-5pm, Monday-Friday) and my employers don't know I suffer with health anxiety. I had a panic attack at work once and the first aider insisted I go get checked out by a doctor. All was fine (I knew it would be- I just agreed so I could get out of the office while I felt so fragile!), so I think they have an idea that I suffer with some sort of anxiety but they don't know how bad it is.

I also suffer a degree of social anxiety so the thought of having anxiety attacks at work TERRIFIES me. It's embarrassing, and people don't understand.

For those of you that work, how do you cope with anxiety while working?
I have a very strict manager and I can't get her to understand.
She'll end up sacking me if she realises my panic attacks can and will affect my work.

What I usually do when I feel anxiety coming on is go and sit in the toilets until it passes. But I don't want to keep doing that because someone is gonna catch onto what is going on. I need to be able to focus on my work when I'm anxious and not let it affect me.

Urgh I'm only 20 and I'm struggling so much :weep:
It's so hard... I hate it.

Thank you in advance for any advice you might have...
I can't cope, I'm going mad here :unsure:

fedup36
25-09-13, 09:09
Hi,

I had a really bad panic attack at work yesterday and now I've started associating work with panic which really isn't good! I think its all about distraction at work, that's what I have found! I make an excuse to go and ask some one a question... Which will then lead me to having something to do and I get on with it and before I realise I am already feeling better.... I also try and just have a wonder around to the drinks machine or staff room just to stand up and give my body something to do and try an burn off a little bit of adrenaline.

Not sure if the above will help but hope it will!

Skye Winter
25-09-13, 09:31
Hi,

I had a really bad panic attack at work yesterday and now I've started associating work with panic which really isn't good! I think its all about distraction at work, that's what I have found! I make an excuse to go and ask some one a question... Which will then lead me to having something to do and I get on with it and before I realise I am already feeling better.... I also try and just have a wonder around to the drinks machine or staff room just to stand up and give my body something to do and try an burn off a little bit of adrenaline.

Not sure if the above will help but hope it will!

Thank you for your help!
I'm sorry you had a panic attack at work- It's horrible isn't it!!!
I started to do that too, and associated panic with work, and now when I'm in work I spend a lot of the time worrying about having an anxiety attack.

I will try what you said and go ask someone a question and see if I can get something else to do to take my mind off it. Thanks for your advice!

MRS STRESS ED
25-09-13, 10:22
I know exactly how you feel I to had an awful panic attack in work ,I see work as a lot of my problems, my manager is awful she doesn't understand I feel very intimidated by her that makes me worse ,what I do is try and avoid her and keep myself busy all day a no its really hard to hide it in work but a lot of the time I do ,sometimes I wish I didn't have to work but that's not possible ,I dread every day im in :weep:

BumbleGirl
25-09-13, 11:11
Hi Skye,

I'm very fortunate that I don't actually seem to feel anxious at work. My employers know I have been through a bit of a difficult time but they don't know all the ins and outs but they are extremely easy to talk to and luckily I feel I could tell my managers anything and know I have them behind me.
Your manager may be hard to talk to but is there a deputy manager or some one else senior who may be easier to talk to?
You don't have to tell them the whole story but just say you suffer with panic attacks and some times may need to take a breather for a few minutes.
Also you could buy some rescue remedy and take that at work? It may help xxx

fedup36
25-09-13, 11:25
Well I am currently at work and having yet another panic attack...

All started this time with my eyes suddenly going funny, like shaking and then a intense dizzy spell for about 5 seconds...

Now I can just feel panic, thinking I am about to have a seizure of something.. its horrible :(

I have taken a walk around, opened the window but I just feel awful :( Its good to know other people are going through it and I am not alone I just want to know why its happening and what it is as I struggle to believe it is just anxiety...

BumbleGirl
25-09-13, 11:28
Fedup,

That used to be one of big things that would make me panic. If I felt even a little bit off I would be convinced I was going to have a fit! Try to sit down with fresh air and take deep breaths xx

fedup36
25-09-13, 11:50
Its one of my biggest fears Bumblegirl, especially when I start feeling dizzy :( I am convinced something awful is about to happen :(

suki300
25-09-13, 12:11
It's so sad to hear that employers won't take mental health issues seriously, but I don't think it would be allowed for someone to be sacked because of panic attacks, I think it would be classed as unfair dismissal. If your job role means you can join a union - I would do so and get advice - they can be very helpful and will know what your rights are.

This website might be useful too: http://www.time-to-change.org.uk

Skye Winter
25-09-13, 14:23
Thanks so much for your replies!

MRS STRESS ! ED, my manager is the same, intimidating and she will push you to the limits :weep:

Aww fedup, I'm also at work and panicking. This time because I have a pain in my leg and now I'm convinced I have a blood clot?!?!

I wish I could tell somebody but nobody here seems very approachable and they're all intimidating and ahhh I don't know what to do :unsure:

---------- Post added at 14:23 ---------- Previous post was at 14:21 ----------

Hi Skye,

I'm very fortunate that I don't actually seem to feel anxious at work. My employers know I have been through a bit of a difficult time but they don't know all the ins and outs but they are extremely easy to talk to and luckily I feel I could tell my managers anything and know I have them behind me.
Your manager may be hard to talk to but is there a deputy manager or some one else senior who may be easier to talk to?
You don't have to tell them the whole story but just say you suffer with panic attacks and some times may need to take a breather for a few minutes.
Also you could buy some rescue remedy and take that at work? It may help xxx

I don't really feel like anybody here would understand... Everyone seems so intimidating! I feel like if I was to talk to them they'd be like "Oh you'll get over it." and leave it at that!

I'm going to invest in some Kalms, apparently they can help relieve stress and anxiety. :)

yenool
25-09-13, 15:06
Hiya all.

I also suffer a degree of social anxiety so the thought of having anxiety attacks at work TERRIFIES me. It's embarrassing, and people don't understand.

For those of you that work, how do you cope with anxiety while working?
I have a very strict manager and I can't get her to understand.
She'll end up sacking me if she realises my panic attacks can and will affect my work.

What I usually do when I feel anxiety coming on is go and sit in the toilets until it passes. But I don't want to keep doing that because someone is gonna catch onto what is going on. I need to be able to focus on my work when I'm anxious and not let it affect me.

First of all I want to say I think you should be proud of managing to work 9-5 with all this going on. I'm in my late 20s and never managed to hold down a full time job due to anxiety and depression. I'm currently studying but only part time and I have no idea how I will manage a job when I've completed my degree. So you should be proud of that to start with.

Secondly.... if you can manage it you really should consider 'declaring' your anxiety problems to your employer - it is classed as a disability. They cannot sack you just for having a panic attack, it would be like sacking someone for needing a wheelchair, it is disability discrimination. Plus if you tell them what is going on it might reduce some of the pressure on you? And they may be able to support you better...... at least they would know not to make a huge fuss if you have another attack, which would greatly reduce the stress and social anxiety from your perspective.

I know employers also have a duty to make 'reasonable adjustments' for disabilities - for someone in a wheelchair that might be providing a ramp or whatever. In your case it may not be applicable, but even something as simple as them agreeing you can nip out of the office for 5 mins if you are having a panic and then work 5 mins late without getting into trouble could be useful? http://www.tacklementalhealth.org.uk/faq/

As for the actual panic attacks - have you had any CBT or any medication that helps? Have you heard of or tried the 7-11 breathing technique? http://www.in8.uk.com/information-resources/7-11-breathing/

Skye Winter
25-09-13, 16:21
First of all I want to say I think you should be proud of managing to work 9-5 with all this going on. I'm in my late 20s and never managed to hold down a full time job due to anxiety and depression. I'm currently studying but only part time and I have no idea how I will manage a job when I've completed my degree. So you should be proud of that to start with.

Secondly.... if you can manage it you really should consider 'declaring' your anxiety problems to your employer - it is classed as a disability. They cannot sack you just for having a panic attack, it would be like sacking someone for needing a wheelchair, it is disability discrimination. Plus if you tell them what is going on it might reduce some of the pressure on you? And they may be able to support you better...... at least they would know not to make a huge fuss if you have another attack, which would greatly reduce the stress and social anxiety from your perspective.

I know employers also have a duty to make 'reasonable adjustments' for disabilities - for someone in a wheelchair that might be providing a ramp or whatever. In your case it may not be applicable, but even something as simple as them agreeing you can nip out of the office for 5 mins if you are having a panic and then work 5 mins late without getting into trouble could be useful? http://www.tacklementalhealth.org.uk/faq/

As for the actual panic attacks - have you had any CBT or any medication that helps? Have you heard of or tried the 7-11 breathing technique? http://www.in8.uk.com/information-resources/7-11-breathing/

Thank you for your reply! And I'm not managing it really- it's so hard working such long hours and having hardly any time to yourself :wacko: BUT! At the same time I'm earning a proper wage so it's kinda worth it at the end of the month when I check my bank account! But it's not easy- I won't lie to you. But when you have finished your degree and you do start working- if you're still struggling, just try and remind yourself that YOU have to control your mind, not let your MIND control YOU! :) If I can do it then you can! I'm the most emotionally unstable person on the planet. lol :)

I do keep intending to tell my manager about my anxiety- but I just can't seem to bring myself to do it. I've heard horror stories about how she reacts to stuff like that from people who have worked here a lot longer than me. I'm not very good at confrontation either, her being unreasonable will bring on an anxiety attack. I suppose you're right though, they do have laws to abide by and it is a mental disorder, and thus a disability.

One day I will gather the courage to tell her. I'll have to, otherwise I'll go insane running to the loos every time I have a panic attack! Hahaha.

I am on Zoloft at the moment (have been for about 7 months), and I'm trying to persuade my GP to give me a referral to a CBT therapist. (He just keeps throwing different anti-depressants at me instead :huh:). The Zoloft is helping and my panic attacks aren't as INTENSE as they were, but they're still mentally crippling and leave me exhausted.

Anyway, thanks a lot for your help :)

yenool
25-09-13, 16:28
Is there an IAPT service in your area...? If so you can normally self-refer.... I'm surprised your GP just keeps throwing antidepressants at you, normally they are keen to offer non-drug solutions.

xvolatileheart
25-09-13, 22:08
Well I am currently at work and having yet another panic attack...

All started this time with my eyes suddenly going funny, like shaking and then a intense dizzy spell for about 5 seconds...

Now I can just feel panic, thinking I am about to have a seizure of something.. its horrible :(

I have taken a walk around, opened the window but I just feel awful :( Its good to know other people are going through it and I am not alone I just want to know why its happening and what it is as I struggle to believe it is just anxiety...

Almost this exact same thing happened to me today. I noticed my left arm felt kind of heavy then my eyes went funny and I felt dizzy and I was convinced I was about to have a seizure. Then I made the stupid mistake of googling and that was it, I'm convinced I have epilepsy. I made myself keep working, then I went to the toilet for a minute and told myself I was fine. I guess I've just learned to carry on with life while panicking because apparently I hide it really well. No one seems to realise how much I'm suffering.

Helps to know I'm not alone though. :hugs:

Skye Winter
26-09-13, 09:06
Is there an IAPT service in your area...? If so you can normally self-refer.... I'm surprised your GP just keeps throwing antidepressants at you, normally they are keen to offer non-drug solutions.

I've just Googled to see if there is IAPT services around where I live and there is.. they're just a little bit difficult to get to (I don't drive yet), but I guess if my GP won't refer me himself, I have no choice!

Yeah, I was surprised too. I started on Citalopram 20mg, then I went back a few months later explaining that I was still struggling. He put me up to 40mg. Then the same happened again and he threw me onto 50mg instead. Then when I went back because I was getting weird side-effects, he put me on Zoloft. Each time I went back I mentioned therapy but he said there is a LONG waiting list on the NHS and that he thinks anti-depressants are a better option.

I think I'm gonna have to self-refer.

Thanks for your reply :)

fedup36
26-09-13, 09:28
Almost this exact same thing happened to me today. I noticed my left arm felt kind of heavy then my eyes went funny and I felt dizzy and I was convinced I was about to have a seizure. Then I made the stupid mistake of googling and that was it, I'm convinced I have epilepsy. I made myself keep working, then I went to the toilet for a minute and told myself I was fine. I guess I've just learned to carry on with life while panicking because apparently I hide it really well. No one seems to realise how much I'm suffering.

Helps to know I'm not alone though. :hugs:

Rubbish isn't it! I am convinced I have some form of Epilepsy or im having a weird stroke thing.. I had a clean MRI in January and had another mri on Monday (still waiting for the results and I am a bit of a mess) but still can't convince myself.. I just know what epilepsy starts at a young age, its unlikely to come on now so just remind yourself that :)

Shivmarie
26-09-13, 10:38
I chew on a rescue remedy pastille if i start to feel a little anxious. Also id suggest talking to someone so theyre aware. That way if you are feeling abit untoward and you work may be effected theyres a reason behind it that they are aware of? xx

potato11
26-09-13, 12:54
Skye have you tried the free cbt4panic online course? It's brilliant
Check the link in my signature :)