PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way out of this prison ?

I'mdave27
25-09-13, 11:32
I take 40mg citalopram in the morning and at night , for sleep issues , 15mg mirtazapine. The added mirtazapine has really helped me sleep which has helped me feel a lot calmer or at least more prior to starting this medication , a bonus of course. However , during the day I still feel extremely sleepy with no energy which i thought I should be less sleepy especially after 9 hours sleep , I feel that's enough. I keep getting low blood sugar where I have to end up eating a chocolate bar along with a coke I know it's hypoglycemia , I've had 7 attacks this month , to top it all off I've got blurry vision. I weigh 17 stone 17 pounds I know that's not the healthiest weight I have seen a dietician but it hasn't helped because I'm struggling to eat and be healthy , there's always something. Could I be diabetic ? I've had blood tests before and they didn't pick anything up but I ate before the test because no one said I had to fast , I don't know if that's important to fast ? So this is all getting me down so in the mean time I need a good self help book can you recommend any ? :-)

times71
25-09-13, 14:59
I'm a big guy too and I also get the low blood sugar thing, and I've also been tested for diabetes. Makes me wonder if there is a link to panic attacks. I personally am against medication, they seem to cause more problems and what happens if you come of them. I think the way out of the prison is without medication, I think taking them keeps you on parole. I have made great progress by reading, diet, videos etc, PM me sometime and Ill share where I get my books info from.

good luck dude

shakey1961
25-09-13, 15:07
Hi Both. I had low blood sugar since I was 16yo, and I'm now coming up to 52. I found out mine was caused by gluten intolerance/coeliac disease.

I cut out all gluten in wheat barley and rye and I feel wonderful. what I did notice is the hypos became less when removing gluten from my diet and I also felt calmer and have had just 2 small panic attacks in the space of two years and they were early one morning and it was 2 attacks in the space of 5 mins!

Try it, you've nothing to lose (except a bit of money as gluten free food is expensive)

Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Also go to you doctor and ask for a coeliac disease test.

And as for a link to panic atacks with the low blood sugar - there's a definite link. When your blood sugar drops you body kicks in the adrenalin to keep you conscious - adrenalin makes your heart pound, makes you sweat and makes you feel anxious and panicky!

cokesmyth5
25-09-13, 19:52
I've been told that Mirtazipine makes you crave carbohydrates.

Sparkle1984
29-09-13, 00:04
I'm a big guy too and I also get the low blood sugar thing, and I've also been tested for diabetes. Makes me wonder if there is a link to panic attacks. I personally am against medication, they seem to cause more problems and what happens if you come of them. I think the way out of the prison is without medication, I think taking them keeps you on parole. I have made great progress by reading, diet, videos etc, PM me sometime and Ill share where I get my books info from.

good luck dude

Whilst it's great that you didn't need medication in order to recover from your anxiety, don't you think it sounds selfish to say you're "against" the use of meds when they've helped so many people especially those of us with severe anxiety/depression? I'd rather stay "on parole" for ever than lead a miserable existence.

Rant over!