PDA

View Full Version : Low blood sugar levels

times71
25-09-13, 15:02
Hi NMP people.

I suffer with sudden shakes and a need to eat, I understand this is to do with low sugar levels in the blood. I've been tested for diabetes and it's all clear. Is there a link between panic attacks and low blood sugar levels?

peace:wacko:

PanchoGoz
25-09-13, 15:29
Some people just have this any way, I do. Best to eat little and often, likely your body makeup.

suki300
25-09-13, 18:04
Do you have a fast metabolism? - I used to and I would feel faint if I didn't eat. You're supposed to eat things like shredded wheat and foods that are slow release like sweet potatoes. Make sure you always have breakfast (although I'm sure you probably do). If I was in a restaurant and ate too much, that would make me nearly pass out too.

nataliewoods88
25-09-13, 19:29
i get this all the time!! i go all wobbly and jelly like! then when ive eaten it passes off soon after, some people get like this :)

times71
25-09-13, 19:35
I panic if I feel like this and have no food to hand, what would happen if I didn't eat and sugar levels where low ... I wonder

Frazzle88
25-09-13, 21:01
Ive had this all my life. Its known as hypoglycemia. Eat little and often and carry glucose pills or something with you Things like bread and pasta are good as complex carbs burn energy slowly

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:56 ----------

And not to make you worry but its highly recommended you eat immediately when you feel syptoms. Its not pretty, trust me. Its a very managable disorder. Iv been dealing with it for 25 years.

PanchoGoz
25-09-13, 21:49
There is however a big difference between fainting and feeling wobbly - if you have never fainted during one of these spells don't be too worried.

xvolatileheart
25-09-13, 22:23
I get this too. It's only seemed to develop since my panic attacks, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a correlation. Constant stress in the body does cause the energy to be depleted faster, so it only makes sense.

Frazzle88
25-09-13, 22:47
I get this too. It's only seemed to develop since my panic attacks, so I wouldn't be surprised if there is a correlation. Constant stress in the body does cause the energy to be depleted faster, so it only makes sense.

Exactly right. When youre anxious you release lots of adrenaline thus burning up your glucose at a higher rate. If you feel wobbly, light headed, blurred vision or irritable, sit down, drink a sugary drink followed by toast or a sandwich and youll feel fine with ten minutes although you may still feel a little weak and confused

shakey1961
26-09-13, 06:29
Exactly right. When youre anxious you release lots of adrenaline thus burning up your glucose at a higher rate. If you feel wobbly, light headed, blurred vision or irritable, sit down, drink a sugary drink followed by toast or a sandwich and youll feel fine with ten minutes although you may still feel a little weak and confused

Actually it's the other way round my friend. When your blood sugar drops, to keep you conscious, the body releases adrenalin to keep you awake and it's this that causes the symptoms.

However... please take a look at this link

http://voices.yahoo.com/possible-complications-celiac-disease-7093982.html

I stumbled across this by accident after going to see my GP. Either go and see your GP and get a Coeliac Disease test (preferable) or go on a gluten free diet.

My hypos started the same time as my anxiety and panic attacks. Going gluten free has CURED the lot. Almost no hypos now and when I do get one it's only mild, totally relaxed, clear head.

I would really like someone to try going on a wheat, barley and rye, gluten free diet and see if they have the same results as I have. If one of you are willing to try it please get in touch with me.

By the way, I'm not a doctor and have no medical training.

PavoCristatus
26-09-13, 19:00
Low blood sugar symptoms can be decreased by a low sugar diet, so the brain's glucose supply does not vary too much. After lots of sugar the brain's glucose supply drops, and this drop is what causes the release of adrenaline (to make more stored sugar available to the brain) that results in shaking and feelings of panic. Keep the amount of sugar in your body stable and this outcome may be reduced.

It could be due to anaemia or a vitamin deficiency, but there are many, many other ways to be deficient in something than gluten intolerance, and it is worth discussing with your doctor.

If all else fails then try the 'gluten free' thing by all means, it is sometimes linked with anxiety/panic symptoms, but eliminating an entire food group is a bit of a radical response to low blood sugar.

I am also not a doctor, but I do have medical training.

shakey1961
27-09-13, 05:05
How can you be cutting out a food group by following a gluten free diet? Gluten is only a part of a grain in wheat, barley and rye. You can still get carbohydrates from products made from other wheat and gluten free flours.

While you can have vitamin deficiency by other means, from what I've learnt you also have vitamin deficiency through gluten intolerance/coeliac disease. This is because the villi in your guts get flattened and the nutrients i.e. vitamins etc., can't be absorbed into the body.

Going gluten free has cured me!

I would be interested to know the mechanism at work as to why hypos occur with coeliac disease. My thoughts are that because the villi are not working properly, they can't absorb enough sugar into the blood stream. The body recognises the sugar and produces the correct amount of insulin, but as there isn't enough sugar coming in, the insulin sends you into a hypo. It all seems plausible to me, but it falls down slightly when, from my own experience of taking blood sugar readings, my blood sugar used to rise rapidly within the space of 30 mins, then plummet 30 mins later. That doesn't happen now. I think I'm missing something here.

Curiouser and curiouser!