PDA

View Full Version : Decided to go for a fasting glucose blood test tomorrow. I am wreck

skyisblue
25-09-13, 15:03
Okay for the past few days I have this fear of diabetes or insulin resistance.

It all started when I noticed the back of my neck fodls seem darker. I heard that it is a sign of insulin resistance or diabetes. :(

Well, I usually tilt my head in the mirror and try to see the back of it or I take a picture of the back of my neck and look at it.

My friends and family tell me that my neck looks completely normal. It seems that I am forcing myself to see something "dark" in my neck when they cannot even notice anything.

I am a 23 year old guy with light brown skin and I seem to notice many people of my color have the same thing as I think I have. My father is diabetic so I am really scared. I am overweight but I have been working recently to lose extra pounds.

I do not have the classic symptoms of diabetes like extreme hunger, unusual thirst, unusual thirst, frequent urination, etc.

All I have is this weird lightly dark color at the back of my neck that I claim to "see".

My last glucose test was done in 2011 and it was normal, but I feel that I have developed something sinister since then. :(

Now I decided to pay for my own blood test because I cannot anymore take this. I am a wreck. I am not scared of the procedure but the possibility that they might something bad is just driving me insane. Ugh I am a complete mess right now. :(

Somebody please help me get through the night. :(

katesa
25-09-13, 15:07
Hi there,

What you are describing does not sound like diabetes at all. But even if you did, diabetes is very very treatable and insulin resistance (which I have) can be fixed just by changing your diet so there is no reason to be afraid of it.

Where are you from hon? Here in the UK, you can go to a Lloyds Pharmacy and get a free blood sugar check.

skyisblue
25-09-13, 15:14
Thank you katesa for the quick reply.

I am not from the UK so I have no option but to go directly the testing center. It doesn't cost a lot but I am still scared.

How are you managing your insulin resistance? I hope all is well with you...

katesa
25-09-13, 15:51
I was put on a low dose of metformin, (one pill a day) just for 3 months while I adapted my diet. Now I just limit the amount of bad sugars I have and I haven't had a problem or needed meds for over a year.

I don't think that you have either, but given your age and the fact that you had a test within the last few years, if you did have anything it would be pre-diabetes which is what insulin resistance is and that is honestly so easy to treat. Please don't worry chick x

skyisblue
26-09-13, 02:36
Thank you again katesa...

I am leaving in an hiur for the test and I just can't help but think the worst... :(

If somebody else here had also had a bad experience on the glucose results amd was able to reverse it, please tell me :(

---------- Post added 26-09-13 at 01:36 ---------- Previous post was 25-09-13 at 21:52 ----------

Just went to have my blood sugar test. Results will come out this afternoon.

Don't know what to do. I am paralyzed

skyisblue
26-09-13, 09:04
Off to get my results in 2 hours... Still scared as hell.

Ugh I cannot concentrate on things. I feel like this is going to be a bad sentence.