PDA

View Full Version : Work causes my anxiety

Jenwales
25-09-13, 15:31
Generally work causes my anxiety. The shop I used to work in used to contantly ask me to go into work. And now every morning I get anxious about them asking me to work.
I work in a shop which is open mon-fri until 8 and then the weekend. I'm only part time but often around xmas (october or now onwards) I have to do a lot of overtime. My hours are never the same so I can't really organise my life and visiting my family.
I don't mind the extra and I do help out.

I'm posting now because I had a phone call from work asking me to go in and now I feel anxious. They never phone, they always text. It's after 3 and they are asking me to go in. I said no because I know my hours will be mayhem the next few months (I hate Xmas because I start about 7 some morings annd do long shifts and hours I'm not used to. I am so anxious this time of year because of how busy work is. There is such a heavy work load with stock and customers)
so I'm taking the break while I can. Well actually I said no because I would either go in now quickly iron my uniform and then have no food. Or eat and then won't get in until about 5pm so what's the point of going in for a three hour shift? I don't get extra for it and it's really short notice.

I always feel guilty or that I'm going to get a row when I say no. (I've had rows in the past for turning down work by the manager of my previous job when she was asking me at the end of every shift to work on, sometimes until 9 in the night)
I really would like a better job but the only jobs about are under 16 hours and I can't afford to get anything less than 20.
I get so anxious and even though i said no and made my decision I'm anxious now and feel a bit upset.
You probably think go to work and help. I'm so fed-up of being stuck in this constant anxiety loop and having this problem. I don't know what to do. Not so long ago they were only giving me 16 hours as there wasn't enough hours to go around and now (that it suits them) they will give me loads and ask me to go in. I know that's the world of work and life etc
But I really don't know what to do. I have been going through this work anxiety for many years now and I feel so stuck and miserable.

Thanks for reading this. I just need to vent and maybe some advice. I don't really have anyone to talk to

Tinker28
26-09-13, 02:51
Hi, there! I know how you feel I get very anxious about work to, I work long hours at my job as well and when I get off at say 4 or so they always sucker me in to working longer. But I think if you say yes you are making them happy, sure but do what mKes you happy! You got to do things for you. The guilty part will get easier to cope with I still have troubles with this part but if you can success tell me how. Good luck!:hugs:

suki300
26-09-13, 08:32
Ug retail!

It's awful when you're an anxious person anyway, because it's that constant being unable to relax. I have no suggestion, except perhaps to look at somewhere the the hours are more reasonable. A more independent shop, an office. It is awful they are allowed to do what they do. I used to be on the dreaded "0" hours contract.

MRS STRESS ED
26-09-13, 10:30
I know how your feeling my workplace put so much pressure on me ,to the point were I went off sick ,when I went back I had a back to work , I told them the pressure they had put on me had caused my anxiety to soar ,I told them until im ready do not be asking me to do any overtime as I can bearly do my own hours ,it was hard to tell them as my manager is very intimidating but I had to stand my ground could you not speak to anyone explain how its making you feel good luck anyway :D

Jenwales
27-09-13, 20:44
Thanks for the support. Retail workers are forgotten about. I hope I find a better job soon because it's ruined Xmas for me and the end of the year

Rennie1989
27-09-13, 21:06
I still get very anxious going to work. I've been doing managing hours this week rather than my usual cashiering, so I'm more anxious than normal. Retail is a bum to work in, I admit! And I understand how it messes up your social life, my hours are different every week and I could work any time of any day in any week, it was a hassle getting every Friday off for my CBT!!

If it's really not doing you any justice then I suggest looking for a new job. I'm going to college next year to train to become a Counselor so I know I don't have to work in my company for long. Maybe consider going back to education?