PDA

View Full Version : what was the nhs like years ago?

Darren1
25-09-13, 16:45
What was the NHS like years ago when you had a problem and needed a scan or something?

I feel today GPs are reluctant to spend any money on anything!

Was it easier to get referred in the past?

Gee
25-09-13, 16:56
I think it depends who you get - I've been lucky that my GP was great and thought all my symptoms were anxiety but yet sent me for a MRI and then when I saw the neuro he did the little tests and said the same thing and told me look, at this point after seeing everything looks normal to me i would say you don't need a scan but ( I was crying lol) since it's really affecting your life I'm going to let you make the choice. What would you like to do and I said I wanted it because I knew I'd just worry so much otherwise (turns out I'm worrying a ton anyway) :(

Darren1
25-09-13, 17:30
if i get an mri of my neck and its clear, i will be absolutely stunned!

for some reason i knew the ct was going to be clear.

debs71
25-09-13, 17:42
I remember my parents being referred for various things in the 70s/80s, and I do remember them getting referred pretty easily, however the major difference between now and then is that years ago they had to wait a long time to get seen, and for any op, whereas now there are strict guidlines in place as to maximum waiting time for an initial NHS referral appointment. 18 weeks is the max I think.

I do think that it depends who you see, when you are seen, what Primary Care Trust you are under, and a lot of other external factors as to how quick a GP is to refer you. A lot also depends on what your health problem is too of course, and whether they think they can delay any referral at the present time.

I have lost a lot of faith in GP's to be honest. With my practice I honestly think I could walk in the room, sit down and say 'blah,blah,blah' with a pair of knickers on my head, and they would still nod their heads and not notice.

Elen
25-09-13, 18:09
I think as well people didnt have google so didnt know about CT or MRI scans.

A lot of times you were told to get on with it and people did because the GP was god.

debs71
25-09-13, 18:12
MRI referrals are one of the most difficult to get, mainly because they are very, very expensive, and appointments are few on the ground.

Elen
25-09-13, 18:29
I had to get one done on my dog about 10 years ago and think that it was in the region of £1,500 than.

No NHS for dogs unfortunately.

Pipkin
25-09-13, 18:30
As people have said, I think a lot of it comes down to the relationship you have with your GP. It's a relationship of trust that goes 2 ways and I always make a point of telling mine what I'm doing to help myself - I then find he's much more willing to help me.

I'm not sure if things have changed but I'm sure that doctors find people much more aware of conditions and procedures now through online research.

Pip

Darren1
25-09-13, 19:59
I can think of atleast 3 appointments in the last 3 months where the GP has brought up google images to show me a picture of something! One even brought up an article to read about lyme disease.

yenool
25-09-13, 21:32
I'm not sure if things have changed but I'm sure that doctors find people much more aware of conditions and procedures now through online research.

Pip

I'm sure they also find many people misinformed by garbage information as well......... I mean many supposedly reputable sources print a lot of misinformation on health issues.

I'm not massively sure how things have changed over the years....... but I think there are bound to be both areas where the things are better than ever, but of course some areas that are not so good.

MRI are a relatively new thing, so years ago I doubt many people got scans at all. I think it was only the 1990's when they started to become more widely used and only in the last 10/15 years they have become so small/fast/cheap that you can even get a scan done in the back of a lorry.

I've never had an issue with my GP referring me. I guess it depends on if the GP thinks it is necessary or not.

debs71
25-09-13, 21:35
I can think of atleast 3 appointments in the last 3 months where the GP has brought up google images to show me a picture of something! One even brought up an article to read about lyme disease.

OMG, yes my Dad's doctor also does that....I find it incredible and really quite shocking! The most worrying thing is that he has Googled as my Dad is TELLING HIM his symptoms....

....doesn't inspire much confidence in his ability to diagnose IMO.

Pipkin
25-09-13, 23:21
I'm sure they also find many people misinformed by garbage information as well......... I mean many supposedly reputable sources print a lot of misinformation on health issues.

Which is why I said aware not informed. I think most of us have realised that whilst there's a lot of accurate and valuable information on the internet, there's also a lot of subjective misinformation. The difficulty is often knowing one from the other.

I generally stick to official health or charity sites, or read original research.

Pip