PDA

View Full Version : The good music

ugy
26-10-06, 19:06
Listening to music whilst severely anxious can be painful, just like attempting to eat a meal or trying to read a book.
Some things just seem to add to that feeling of a deep-fried crispy brain.

Some music though, just seems to get through the pain and actually raises a smile.

There's a Bob Marley live recording called 'Babylon by Bus' on which every note seems to carry a positive message which soothes a jangled body, mind and soul.

Does anybody else have any recommendations for life-saving music?

Love,
ugy

Take my adrenal gland. Please.

creatrix
26-10-06, 19:16
i like elliott smith. depressogenic, yes, but soothing. as for "happy music," here's my list:

american girl - tom petty
the soundtrack from Practical Magic
Fleetwood Mac in general
Jimmy Reed (1950s Mississippi blues dude)

I'm sure i'll think of more, but that's it for now.

belle
26-10-06, 19:19
Foo Fighters, Scissor Sisters, Red hot chili peppers and PINK all have tracks that calm me down!

I have a crappy old tape player in my OLD car so i've had to record all my "life-saving" songs onto a tape - it makes me feel very 80's and *quite* relaxed while driving, not that i go that far - but its still a good thing to have!!!

Sarah

janie
26-10-06, 19:22
Hi ugy

I live in a very music orientated house - we have everything here from primal scream to chopin to fat boy slim - but lots of bov marley - i love three little birds. But one of my all time favourites is Sonnet by The Verve. There's also a great song by James with very pertinent lyrics but I can't remember the title.

Some music though seriously doesn't help, but it changes with the mood. Nice thread!

janie xxxx

ugy
26-10-06, 19:26
I love Tom Petty too.

I only just recently heard Elliot Smith. I don't think I could have stomached him at that point in my life but his songs are beautiful. You can tell how tender he got. A shame for our loss.

honeybee3939
26-10-06, 19:50
Hi Ugy,

Although i like all the modern music,(even though im knocking on a bit !!lol)

I have been listening to Ray Charles the Album called "Loves Company", theres some real nice sing along songs, i also like MeatLoaf but i always find my self gasping for breath when singing his songs.lol he sings too fast !!!

Love

Andrea
xxxx

creatrix
26-10-06, 19:52
I also really like bluegrass and Celtic music... something about those harmonies and fiddles is just so feral it makes me want to dance and spin circles.

ugy
26-10-06, 20:07
honeybee:
Your comment about Meatloaf made me fall off my chair! LOL!

cfury
27-10-06, 00:50
I don't know if it will work for other people, but AC/DC helps me feel better. I have good memories of the South when I hear "You Shook Me".

ugy
27-10-06, 13:08
hey cfury!

When you're having memories about memories of a place, you know it's time to go there again.

Yes, AC/DC are great. Have you heard the bluegrass version as expoused by Hayseed Dixie? They are a very funny band (good playin too)

eeyorelover
27-10-06, 20:01
I just love slow sappy 70's music when I am feeling anxious.
Let's stay together - Al Greene
When I Need You - Leo Sayer
On And On - Stephen Bishop
More Than A Feeling - Boston
Time In A Bottle - Jim Croce

Ok I'm old and lost in nostagia land - hahaha
xxx
Sandy

keepemlaughing
27-10-06, 21:47
If you have never heard of Deep Forest, give it a whirl. The music is not in our native tongue so it can mean anything you want! There is one song in particular called "Sweet Lullaby". The music is addicting. I looked up the actual meaning of the song and found out it is an older sister singing to her younger sibling to stop crying, daddy has gone to the land of the dead. Sounds morose, but it really isn't. Give it a try. You can hear an excerpt on-line I am sure.
Good day
Sheryl[:P]

Sheryl

keepemlaughing
27-10-06, 21:48
those are some of my favorites too. Good choices!
Sheryl

<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I just love slow sappy 70's music when I am feeling anxious.
Let's stay together - Al Greene
When I Need You - Leo Sayer
On And On - Stephen Bishop
More Than A Feeling - Boston
Time In A Bottle - Jim Croce

Ok I'm old and lost in nostagia land - hahaha
xxx
Sandy

<div align="right">Originally posted by eeyorelover - 27 October 2006 : 12:01:54</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

Sheryl