PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here

JJ123
25-09-13, 18:43
Hello, My friend tried to kill himself a few months ago and it was not the first time, thank goodness he was not successful. He has been on antidepressants before but took himself off them after only a few weeks. After his last attempt I talked him into trying again, he is now on Fluoxetine 20mg and has been for nearly 12 weeks. He has his good days and bad days, I think his quick temper has evened out, but he is sinking fast again and I don’t know what to do. He had a counselling session yesterday and has really taken that hard, also he is suffering from night sweats and really bad headaches, he suffers from really low esteem and the suicidal thoughts are a worry. Is there any advise anyone can give me to help him in anyway, I will do whatever it takes, but I just don’t know what to do to help.

MRS STRESS ED
25-09-13, 18:58
:welcome:sorry to hear about your friend you being there for them is enough there is a lot of help and support here

JJ123
25-09-13, 19:53
Thank you:)

almamatters
25-09-13, 19:57
Hi :welcome: to the forum, sorry to hear about your friend, I am sure you will get loads of help and support on here for both of you.

JJ123
26-09-13, 06:29
Thank you

anthrokid
04-10-13, 05:37
Hi newbie,

Fluoxetine can take 2-3 months to take an effect, and you did mention that it sounds like his temper has evened out a bit, but the continued thoughts of suidide and low self-esteem are a concern to me. I would suggest talking to a doctor about the medication and his state at the moment. Sometimes specific medications don't suit certain people, and it may be that a different medication will be more helpful for him.

Also, with those kinds of thoughts, it is always best to seek professional help, and I know you mentioned he had a counselling session and had taken it really hard. A counselling session is supposed to be beneficial for someone and leave them feeling better, not worse. It may be worthwhile exploring some different counselling services or seeing if you can get a referral to a different psychologist from a GP.

I really want to say a big thank-you on behalf of every person who has suffered with mental illness. You are taking on a huge role here, and I understand that this must be tough for you. But it sounds like you care very much for your friend and I can tell you with certainty that just your support alone is making a world of difference for your friend. Just remember to take care of yourself as well.