PDA

View Full Version : Random hyperventilation won't budge

Rennie1989
25-09-13, 19:18
Hiya guys

Since combating my fearful panic attacks a few years ago I have been left with panic attacks without the panic. What I mean is that they happen out of blue and I know exactly what they are, I've trained my mind to not be scared of a panic attack so I still get the symptoms: shakes, pins and needles, dizziness and worst of all, hyperventilation (as someone who fears not being able to breathe I swear my body is destined to torture me).

For the past one and a half to two hours I've been trying to get rid of my hyperventilation. It started when I was reading my novel that I'm writing, as usual it's out of the blue. I kept cool, I tried to regulate my breathing, I still am, but the strong feeling to just suck all the air in the room into my lungs is still present.

I am calm, I am collect, but I want the hyperventilation gone. I feel like there's no oxygen in the room, despite the patio doors being open, and no matter what I do, if I forget to breathe, hold my breath, breathe deeply, breathe slowly, it won't budge! I'm starting to feel really really tired and everytime I stand I feel dizzy (postural hypertension, nice).

I won't let this turn into a panic attack, I won't panic, but I'm stuck for ideas. Anyone got any?

Kate 1956
25-09-13, 21:11
Hello Rennie. Not nice. Have you heard of breathing in to a count of 7 and out to a count of 11? if your out breath is longer than your in breath you cannot scientifically/biologically hyperventilate. Try and practice this type of breathing regularly during the day. It's worked for me.

Seffie
27-09-13, 19:45
After years of anxiety etc I managed to learn how to change my thoughts etc & now rarely get a panic attack but like you I've also been left with a 'hangover' of hyperventilation. Mine is triggered by specific situations - talking to people & when the weathers hot. Then it can take ages for me to breathe normally again so I sympathise. I did see a physio for this - she wasn't a respiratory one but she taught me a couple of things which usually help. As Kate suggested breathe in through your nose then purse your lips & breathe out through your mouth as slowly as possible then try to allow the in breath to happen naturally, I can't breathe in & out for that long so my timing is usually breathe in for 3-4 then out for 5-7. Also sitting down at a table, lean forward & rest your forehead on your arms - this helps me to breathe from my lower abdomen again as it's quite hard to chest breathe in this position. I also find distraction the best thing so I go & watch funny stuff or music videos on Youtube or do some internet window shopping - anything to stop me thinking about my breathing! I think it's really hard to get help for this but I think some yoga's can be good for this - pranayama I think as so much of that is about healthy breathing. Hope this helps some. Sarah x

Stu82
29-09-13, 18:02
I get the same as you've all described but then when I feel great in myself it doesn't bother me at all.

Barnabas75
29-09-13, 20:44
Are you doing any better yet?

Rennie1989
29-09-13, 22:05
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I went to my CBT session on Friday and I explained what I told you guys to her, that my body still has a panic attack when I'm not panicking. She explained that I have cured 70% of my Panic Disorder (that put a spring in my step!) and she taught me a technique for the last 30%. She helped me force out hyperventilation and to trigger the symptoms - was uncomfortable, but necessary - and she helped me to let it go on it's own.

Basically, when the hyperventilation comes I focus on it too much and I'm over-trying to get rid of it, which, I suppose, my attention is feeding the symptom. She told me accept it when it arrives and let it ride it's cause.

I hope this information helps out anyone else who has a similar problem to me.

Barnabas75
29-09-13, 22:09
great...