PDA

View Full Version : Major anxiety...

belle
26-10-06, 19:32
I think i've totally lost the plot.
I don't recall whether i've posted about this before but i have to write about it and see if this effects anyone else.

I CANNOT CANNOT CANNOT watch TV program or Film that contains death, hurt, killing, upset. I can't watch shows like Casualty, Holby City, or any other hospital drama. News is a massive no,no. My husband is sat here RIGHT NOW watching a program called "Great crimes and trials" which is talking about a guy called Gary Gilmore - who was sentanced to death and i am feeling quite horrible. Last night he was watching a program about a plane that crashed in Washington and i had to leave the room. I can't bare to watch or hear about tragedy at all, whether its fiction or real life. I'm feeling really upset and angry now.

Sarah

honeybee3939
26-10-06, 19:42
Hi Sarah,

Im like that, i hate tragedies too, i think though most people have anxietys when awful things happen. like you if i watch tv programs like you Causualty, Holby City etc i can feel my anxiety rising when there are upsetting scenes.

Your certainly not alone there, hope someone can lighten us on why we feel like this.

Love

Andrea
xxx

janie
26-10-06, 19:44
Hi Sarah

I can relate to what you are saying. I watch almost no television - not because of my anxiety but because I don't like. My husband and I do like a good dvd every now and again but the other night he brought some awful horror thing home. The film itself, you know the blood and gore type, didn't bother me but the music - i could feel my pulse quickening with it. I had to leave the room in the end.

I used to read the papers a lot but I have stopped doing that for fear of reading really sad stories about people who have died before there time etc.

I think your senses our so highly strung that it is diffcult to put things in perspective. Don't be angry - you will watch and enjoy again - in the meantime be kind to yourself.

Take care

Janie xxx

creatrix
26-10-06, 19:47
Hi, Sarah. I'd chalk this one up to empathy. It's a good thing. I watch tv a lt - I'm news obsessed and I like crime dramas - but I cannot watch violence. Gore is fine, but beatings, screaming, fear... I can't take that. I'm sorry your husband isn't being more understanding about what upsets you. Just go somewhere warm and quiet and play some soothing music and maybe do some yoga.

neonpink_smurf
28-10-06, 20:35
i just wanted to say i completely understand especially when death is mentioned i get kind of weird! i try to stay watching the programme though just so that it doesn't stop me watching things i enjoy!

GAD
28-10-06, 22:48
Hi Sarah

I understand completely. I have been completely overcome today because of the news about them two poor little kiddies who died in spain from poisonous gas. I feel distruaght and all day have been trying to comes to terms with how these poor parents are going to feel when they are told what has happened. I honestly feel desperate for them and am agonising inside. Im sure the whole nation are feeling terrible about this tragedy but i can honestly say that i have not been able to function today because of this news.
I often feel this way and find it hard to watch the programmes you mention but today has realy upset me, badly.

Michelle.

cfury
29-10-06, 00:11
I can still watch action movies, but I can't watch horror movies like I used to. On my first school day back after my first anxiety attack, my English class watched The Elephant Man. At that time I was paranoid of seizures, and as soon as the lights went out, I felt the terror begin. I couldn't stand the loud, lousy music that was blaring through the room and the screaming got my heart pounding. I watch comedy more than anything anymore.

clickaway
29-10-06, 00:19
I too understand.

About three years ago, I got so paranoid, that even made detours in town as I knew the newsagents displayed the daily newspaper headline outside the shop, and this would often be scary. Needless to say, I avoided the TV news, turned my radio off at the top of the hour and altered my internet home page.

But then I decided to face it. A year ago I had a major panic when I witnessed a ring of armed police at Kings Cross tube station. Everyone else was just walking past them at ease, but I nearly chickened out at caught the bus. But then I thought "they are protecting us, not threatening us".

Its hard I know, but re-think the reality by seeing how others deal with it.

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

reddevil
29-10-06, 10:09
Hi,

Casualty used to be my favourite TV programme years back but since I have become an anxiety sufferer, I can no longer watch it as it gives me worrying throught and belts of anxiety.

Red