PDA

View Full Version : Worrying about being dismissed from doctors practice

unsure_about_this
27-09-13, 09:08
Sorry once again about a long post.

I am worrying and so are my parents that I might be kicked off the doctors practice list I been on since I was born because I been too many times (I would live there if I could)

I have worried about so many cancers because I have been reading daily mail, cancer symptoms on various websites, plus the things in other papers and the news (if every mark, every scratch, everything)

It mainly bowel cancer, brain tumours, testicular cancer and penile cancer (cancer of the penis) as well as all the other cancers.

I do get headaches sometimes, I went to the opticians because I was worried about my vision he says sometimes you can get blurred vision if you anxious or drink to much caffeine, but I worry about brain tumours (surely doctors and GPS can pick up other things, with blood tests and when you go for appointments for other things) I know brain tumours are rare, I worry because I got NF type 1 since I read online things about NF which frighten me about brain tumours and bright spots.

I have had a few scans MRI scan of abdominal, abdominal ultrasound, CT scan abdominal and the camera up the backside. (nothing worrying has been found, surely doctors and GPS can not lie)

This all start with the bowel cancer advert and my dad doing his screening in 2012, I am scared by my abdominal pain even though I been told I got IBS.

I am going to be 30 in December and I am scared about my health. I think I need more than CBT help, but I need to put the effort in myself.

cattttt
27-09-13, 09:13
Knowing that the problem is anxiety is the first step. If you ask the doc for help with that
they will be more sympathetic. I don't think they can kick you off the list for anxiety.

Lindyl
27-09-13, 10:06
I am just the same got the doctors on speed dial, its awful and very hard for people that have never suffered with it to understand,i dont even understand it.one day we will look back and realize how stupid we have been and i hope that day comes pretty quick because i dont know how much longer i can cope with this,just want to wake up and actually want to get out of bed and start my day.I am starting something called acceptance commitment therapy next week am also having mindfulness therapy not doing much for me but i am a very negative person and very impatient, we all just want a magic pill but unfortunately there isnt one so all we can do is plod and and try everything that is thrown at us.

Hypo
27-09-13, 10:33
I worry about that too.

I am now off to the GP as I am worried about tonsil cancer.

Sure they groan when I turn up.

Brunette
27-09-13, 11:05
It think Cattt has hit the nail on the head.

If you tell them you have health anxiety they will better be able to help you and to judge any symptoms you may present.

Also, I don't know how often you visit, but perhaps you could consider waiting for 2 weeks before you make an appointment for anything you think you have. Most symptoms (real or phantom) go away on their own before too long.

I have to say I'm not even sure how people manage to get lots of doctors appointments. I go very rarely and always find it really difficult - or perhaps that's why!

sam1878
27-09-13, 11:05
I share your worries - in my mind I feel they fob me off and just try to pacify me when in fact something could be seriously wrong
However I am sure in reality they understand our anxiety is a very real illness too and will be sympathetic and treat us well x

unsure_about_this
27-09-13, 11:17
Thank you for your replies. I did go a couple of weeks ago to the doctors which makes me feel better, that nothing was wrong with my MRI scan results, even though I am still worried.

I have told my doctors I have health anxiety and I am bit of a hypochondriac, one of the GPS I saw at the practice he referred me to CBT help.

I have a cold and cough at the moment, so worrying about lung cancer and have worried about my heart as well. my blood pressure is fine (this is surprising with the football team I support.)

I dread to think how much it would cost if I went private with all these appointments at doctors/GP, scans etc.

I think it scary with daily mail and other papers, where do the reports get these stories about cancer from, awareness about cancer what to look at for which could be cancer or something less serious is good, but needs to be done less scary. I think I have read at least 2,500 different articles over the last two years.

Brunette
27-09-13, 11:26
Stop reading the articles.

Lots of them are based on unproven research anyway.

unsure_about_this
28-09-13, 10:47
My sister says the internet lies and scares you. I just worrying about all the articles about people getting cancer. the facts also scared me. maybe it time to ditch the internet and find myself some else to do, wish I could live at the doctors.