PDA

View Full Version : How did Pregabalin work for you?

inCOGnito
27-09-13, 11:02
There are numerous emerging studies showing that pregabalin is efficacious in the treatment of GAD and it is quite well tolerated.

It would be nice to get the 'patient perspective'.

Have you tried pregabalin / Lyrica??

Did it work for you?

It would be helpful to know what daily dosage you were taking and how long you were on it.

Mark13
28-09-13, 01:01
I was on it for 4 months, starting on 150mg and was on 600 after a month in 2 divided doses.

The drug just completely stopped working for me.

hanshan
15-10-13, 12:16
I'm replying to this poll to bump it back up to the top of the list.

If you have taken pregabalin for more than a settling-in period of a few weeks (or if you had to abandon it due to side effects), it would be helpful to contribute to this poll.

Tufty
15-10-13, 19:09
I took it for 8 months at doses up to 500mg a day, initially it worked brilliantly and significantly reduced my anxiety with minimal side effects but I had to increase the dose every 5 days or so to maintain the anti-anxiety effect. Sadly after 4 months it didn't seem to have any positive effect on my mood or anxiety and I had facial numbness and tingling. I continued taking 400-500mg for another 3 months in the hope it would start working again as it had at the start but it didn't.

I withdrew the drug gradually and stopped it after 8 months without any increase in anxiety, so it seems it was ineffective.

So yes it did work for a short period of time.

shedrain
22-10-13, 16:22
It's worked very, very well for me.

I would say that it's given me my life back at 175mg a day and given me the clarity to start seriously looking at changing my perspectives on life.

I have gained about a stone in the 2.5 months I've been on it. Lots of added weight on the bum, thighs and mid riff.

Now I'm looking at the possibility of slowly starting to withdraw.

Coppernob
12-11-13, 16:19
I've been on pregabalin for about 6/7 months, and it has been a miracle. I'm only on 75mg a day, I know that is a low dose, but it's clear that small doses of most depression/anxiety drugs work better for me than larger doses, possibly because I'm older (71). Pregabalin has given me my life back, within days I had my old zest back and was looking forward and planning things, just like normal, well better really!

I am also on 15mg of mirtazapine at night, I would love to come off it but am wary of not sleeping without it. I'm wondering if I increased the pregabalin to 100mg and took the last 25mg at night it would make me sleep, and perhaps I could ditch the mirtazapine, which I'm sure is responsible for me feeling so groggy first thing in the morning.

SarahH
12-11-13, 17:07
Well if pregabalin makes you sleepy in the day when you take it then it may help you sleep if you take it before you go to bed, but if not I would stick to the small dose of Mirtazapine....the thing is it may be the "combination" which is making you feel so well so if it's working why change it!

Sarah

Mark13
12-11-13, 17:08
I was on pregabalin 600mg and mirtazapine 15mg for 4 months. In fact I've been on the latter for most of the last 6 years.

I find that I can't do without the mirt - nothing else helps me sleep long-term, and at that dosage for me it has few side effects.

I didn't find that pregabalin made me sleepy or drowsy at all, so I certainly needed the mirt.

Coppernob
12-11-13, 18:45
No, pregabalin doesn't make me drowsy either. The fact that I sleep like a log I think is partly responsible for giving me so much energy in the day. I think my sleep has been fitful for years and I never seemed to have much energy, a couple of games of badminton absolutely floored me :blush:, but now I can play 4 or 5 in an afternoon or evening and I still feel fine. Perhaps I just have to overcome the dreadful mornings and keep on with the mirt.

hanshan
06-08-14, 10:57
I'm bumping up this poll again, in case there are people who haven't seen it / voted.

john61
06-08-14, 11:08
I've been on 300mgs per day of pregabalin for GAD for nearly 2yrs now and I would give it a 9 out of 10.its also reduced my sciatica dull ache/pain and it maybe a coincidence but I don't suffer with migraines since I've been on it

SarahH
06-08-14, 12:39
Ah John, that's because it was originally "designed" for neuralgia pains ( an mild seizures) and it was discovered that when given to these patients they also felt "relaxed" so it was then used off label for anxiety but since 2007 it had been approved by NICE for anxiety treatment...... so two birds with one stone (or three in your case) :D

somerandom
06-08-14, 18:26
Significantly improved my day-to-day anxiety. if you're on a medication review with your GP, I'd mention it.

Coppernob
06-08-14, 19:42
I'm now on 100mg of pregabalin and 15mg of mirtazapine, and the psychiatrist said, when he discharged me, that I mustn't let anyone ever persuade me to come off them, but to stay on them for life. I'm fairly happy with that, except for the very groggy mornings. I don't think this is the pregabalin, I've been like it every since going on to antidepressants, and mirtazapine has had the least awful effect in relation to this.

I have to take the pregabalin well away from bedtime or it stops me going to sleep, so I take 50mg in the morning and the other 50mg at teatime, about 6.30. Then the mirtazapine an hour before going to bed. So I sleep like a log and feel great during the daytime, once the early morning is over!

hanshan
24-01-15, 09:30
I'm bumping this poll up again, for people who haven't seen it or voted.

SarahH
24-01-15, 10:41
I'd forgotten about this poll!.. some new to the drug could participate:D

netball
26-01-15, 17:17
was good for the first 2 months, but now feeling that its wearing off. Was taking 200mg three times a day. From tomorrow I've got to take 300mg twice a day.... As doc said she cant justify the difference in costs!!

landymanrob
09-02-15, 03:49
Hi all, this site has been a great help over the last few years. I have been on pregabalin 150mg twice a day and mirtazapine 45mg once a day for 2 years now. over the last few months i have reduced my mirt to 30mg but last week my doctor suggested reducing my pregabalin. He has put me on 75mg twice a day, and day 2 i am now awake and cant sleep with my anxiety breaking through. Do you think halving the dose so soon is too much ? Or will this pass?
sorry should have said for Gad and depression .

hanshan
09-02-15, 06:15
Hi Landymanrob,

Withdrawal will affect everyone differently, so you may be okay in a day or so. Otherwise, do a slower taper.

Did the doctor give any reason for cutting back? For example, does the doctor (or do you) feel you have recovered enough to go without medication?

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

Coppernob
09-02-15, 10:20
I have been told by both the clinic and my GP to stay on my medication for life - 15mg of mirtazapine and 100mg of pregabalin per day. I have had to accept that that is probably the right thing to do. I came down from 45mg of mirt fairly slowly and am fine on 15, which makes me sleep like a log. Pregabalin can upset my sleep if I take it too near bedtime! Weird, I know.

I would give it a few more days but if the effect is really bad perhaps you still need the higher dose for longer.

hanshan
10-02-15, 09:17
Hello Coppernob,

I too think I may be on medication indefinitely. Mostly, I think, because I've had some form of anxiety-related problem since early childhood, but with my current medication, I'm mostly anxiety-free for the first time in my life.

Like most people, I would like to be able to go medication-free, but not if it means going back to how I was before.

Coppernob
10-02-15, 09:40
Me too, Hanshan! I haven't suffered like you, I've had a few brushes with anxiety meaning periods on anti-depressants since my forties, but this last one was horrendous and as I'm now 72 I don't see the point in taking the risk! The trouble is that by this age it can be difficult to tolerate the meds that used to work, trying the same thing I used to take knocked me senseless and made me feel very ill. Thank goodness for mirtazapine and pregabalin:)

hanshan
11-02-15, 09:38
Hello again Coppernob,

Fortunately, most of what could be called suffering was limited to four or so intense periods, what used to be called "nervous breakdowns".

The rest of the time I was functioning but doing my best to compensate from various nervous afflictions, which I mostly tried to keep hidden from people. Anxiety functioned as a brake on what I could do or would try to do, so there were a lot of missed opportunities.

Anyway, with my current medication that's in the past. On the other hand, I'm a bit old to be launching off into a new life, but I don't care.

cristine
25-04-15, 08:41
I don't know if pregab has helped my anxiety as I have a problem believing that's what I have although some of the physical signs are there globus tiredness I was originally persribed it because of panic attack which came out of the blue! However I still have the odd panic attack or two just able to control them better!? However It has enabled me to get out of bed/ make decisions and generally do things so it has improved my life hugely :D) however seem to be becoming tolerant and may need to up dose also wish half life was longer !!:)

missfishlash
19-05-15, 21:46
Pregabalin has stopped the skin crawling sensation in my face...it only comes back if I'm late taking my dose, first relief I've had from it for over two years :) It has also brought my anxiety levels to a normal amount which is fantastic. Early side effects were tough but soon went away. Sadly I have to report a definate weight issue...I have a really slow metabolism and pco anyway and this just tops it off...I've joined a slimming group and I'm still struggling to get it off again, but for the relief I'm getting, over all I would say it is worth taking....mentally much better

Coppernob
20-05-15, 10:13
Hi, so glad to hear pregabalin is working for you. Yes, the weight issue with all these kinds of drugs is something you have to accept. I'm on mirtazapine as well so it's a double whammy! I joined Slimming World and have got all the extra weight off very slowly, and I feel fantastic now - but I know it's going to be an uphill struggle to keep it off.

But it's all worth putting up with to feel normal and happy!

Cracker
29-06-15, 21:18
I'm a veteran of meds having had 20-25yrs of anxiety and depression.

Lyrica (pregabalin) worked very well for me for about 4 weeks. I was at the max doze of 600mg p/d.

It basically then stopped working altogether.

It has a huuuuge chance of you developing tolerance to it.

I also managed to put on 2-3 stone on it (no word of a lie)

In short, it's great for a short term 'crutch' and that alone.

Very similar to Phenibut in effects (Phenibut is far superior!)

hanshan
30-06-15, 04:30
Hi Cracker,

While your experience is valid, you have to remember that it's just one experience out of quite a wide range. For example, it only worked short-term for you, but it works long-term for others. These medications affect different people differently, so it's important not to over-generalise from any one experience (either good or bad).

ricardo
30-06-15, 05:49
I have just been prescribed lyrica in initially a small dose of 50mg a day for nerve pain in a certain part of my body.

I have only been on it for 5 days.Does anyone else take it for nerve pain.

I had the option of amitriptilene as well but because of my recent heart attack I was advised that Lyrica would be better to take with the handful of heart pills I already take.

I would really be interested if anyone else has been prescribed Lyrica for nerve pain as opposed to anxiety.

Cracker
30-06-15, 09:57
Hi Cracker,

While your experience is valid, you have to remember that it's just one experience out of quite a wide range. For example, it only worked short-term for you, but it works long-term for others. These medications affect different people differently, so it's important not to over-generalise from any one experience (either good or bad).

Agreed.

It is very common for tolerance to develop, in terms of it's ongoing effectiveness for anxiety in particular. I've heard of people continually needing to increase the dosage just to ward off withdrawals whilst 'on' the medication...

I really have tried every med and even ECT.

Don't get me wrong, Pregabalin was one of the most effective meds I ever took, but i would advise caution in long term usage, along the lines of benzo use.

I found Phenibut to be very similar indeed, but of significantly more help. That definitely also has the same issues surrounding it however.

---------- Post added at 09:57 ---------- Previous post was at 09:53 ----------

I have just been prescribed lyrica in initially a small dose of 50mg a day for nerve pain in a certain part of my body.

I have only been on it for 5 days.Does anyone else take it for nerve pain.

I had the option of amitriptilene as well but because of my recent heart attack I was advised that Lyrica would be better to take with the handful of heart pills I already take.

I would really be interested if anyone else has been prescribed Lyrica for nerve pain as opposed to anxiety.

Hi, I also have a slipped disc, annoying the nerve mainly.

Pregabalin definitely helped somewhat for this too. However, again I personally found it's usefulness wane over time.

ricardo
30-06-15, 10:13
Thanks Cracker,

mine is in a rather delicate place :)and actually gets worse the more stressed I am and even my urologist said the pain was actually generated by myself, having done various tests on me.

My GP suggested that I try it in small doses.

I was on lyrica years ago for anxiety,didn't help me,but made me eat like a horse.In fact out of all the numerous SSRI's and other pills I have had, lyrica was the worst for weight gain.

yenool
30-06-15, 10:44
I'm a veteran of meds having had 20-25yrs of anxiety and depression.

Lyrica (pregabalin) worked very well for me for about 4 weeks. I was at the max doze of 600mg p/d.

It basically then stopped working altogether.

It has a huuuuge chance of you developing tolerance to it.

I also managed to put on 2-3 stone on it (no word of a lie)

In short, it's great for a short term 'crutch' and that alone.

This is the problem with pregabalin for some people. Works for a while then you have to keep going up the dose or sometimes it just stops working completely. List of side-effects is long and weight gain can be a big problem for some.

I really believe this drug will be highlighted as a 'problem' medication in the future. Reports are slowly coming out about dependence, addition and abuse potential with it.

Not saying it shouldn't be used and some people wont benefit...... but personally I would put it in a similar category as a Benzo... i.e. short term use preferably and if you do use it long term then be prepared for withdrawals and a slow tapering.

Running out of would not be a pleasant experience either, so important to keep a handful in reserve somewhere safe in case there is a problem at the pharmacy with the prescription or whatever.

hanshan
30-06-15, 11:12
Hi Cracker and Yenool,

Pregabalin's action is pre-synaptic, so it is completely different from benzodiazepines, z-drugs and GABA-like medications like phenibut.

The biggest issue with pregabalin either not working or being misused seems to be related to previous medication/drug use.

If you have already tried most medications known to science, then most likely your body is now ready to counteract anything new and will negate it as soon as possible. If you have had substance misuse problems in the past, then you are at risk of misusing pregabalin.

If you don't fall into either of the two groups above, then pregabalin is a potentially life-changing medication worth trying.

MyNameIsTerry
30-06-15, 11:19
Thanks Cracker,

mine is in a rather delicate place :)and actually gets worse the more stressed I am and even my urologist said the pain was actually generated by myself, having done various tests on me.

My GP suggested that I try it in small doses.

I was on lyrica years ago for anxiety,didn't help me,but made me eat like a horse.In fact out of all the numerous SSRI's and other pills I have had, lyrica was the worst for weight gain.

Ricardo,

I don't know about this but I'm chipping in because I know my med, Duloxetine, is one for neuropathic pain which I use for as an antidepressant. If you get offered that, its worth doing some searching because it can ramp up adrenaline when you start and its unpleasant for some, just like the Ven guys.

My experience with it was hard (I'm still on it now and have my blips were adrenaline ramps up but its much more manageable now) BUT I've seen people on here saying it didn't give them any side effects.

You've been around the block a lot more than me when it comes to meds to I'm probably telling you things you already know here but I feel I just mention it just incase not.

ricardo
30-06-15, 11:29
Ricardo,

I don't know about this but I'm chipping in because I know my med, Duloxetine, is one for neuropathic pain which I use for as an antidepressant. If you get offered that, its worth doing some searching because it can ramp up adrenaline when you start and its unpleasant for some, just like the Ven guys.

My experience with it was hard (I'm still on it now and have my blips were adrenaline ramps up but its much more manageable now) BUT I've seen people on here saying it didn't give them any side effects.

You've been around the block a lot more than me when it comes to meds to I'm probably telling you things you already know here but I feel I just mention it just incase not.

Thanks terry

But having recently had a heart attack I am restricted at what I can take and What I can't. Duloxetine is an SNRI which is not allowed nor any SSRI's for my anxiety.

Lyrica I think was initially for epilepsy but I am allowed it in small doses and it is helping.

MyNameIsTerry
30-06-15, 11:38
Thats good to hear, Ricardo (that its helping, not the rest).

Have you thought of trying other forums as well? The fibro guys seem to try these types of meds out so they might give you some opinions from the other side?

ricardo
30-06-15, 11:51
Thats good to hear, Ricardo (that its helping, not the rest).

Have you thought of trying other forums as well? The fibro guys seem to try these types of meds out so they might give you some opinions from the other side?

Sorry terry don't understand the highlighted bit. Did you mean form or forums ? Who is the fibro guy ?

MyNameIsTerry
30-06-15, 13:42
Sorry Ricardo, I meant the fibromyalgia forums. I've seen them talking about meds like mine for their issues when I've been Googling for info. I'm thinking they might have used yours for more physical reasons.

hanshan
02-07-15, 11:24
Hi Terry,

What's your dose of pregabalin?

MyNameIsTerry
02-07-15, 11:36
Hi Hanshan,

I'm not on Pregabalin, I'm on Duloxetine. I was just thinking that since Ricardo is trying to take it for pain instead, the fibromyalgia forums might have a load of threads about how it works for them as I've seen them talking about various meds including mine in the past.

hanshan
03-07-15, 03:05
Yes, I think pregabalin is licensed for fibromyalgia in Australia (but not GAD, although it can be prescribed off-label). It gets confusing at times. I also take mirtazapine, which I think is one antidepressant which is allowed for people with heart problems - my heart occasionally flips into atrial fibrillation (very irregular heartbeat), although I have another medication (sotalol) which usually corrects it in two to three days.

robinbrum
05-07-15, 16:36
Been a while since I took Pregabalin but in the end it wasn't the answer for me because although masking some of the symptoms of anxiety quite well, it is far too sedating and for me that caused extra problems so I stopped taking it. http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=106493

hanshan
11-07-15, 12:49
People, please keep posting to this thread with a diversity of views, good and bad, as it's a thread that many people thinking about taking pregabalin will look at.

Overall, pregabalin fares well, but is not helpful for everyone, so it's good, but not magic (unfortunately).

ricardo
11-07-15, 13:16
I find it interesting or even bemusing that a drug that was initially designed for epilepsy is now being used for anxiety and nerve pain.

As I said previously I was on Lyrica for about a year (a drug that is high on the list in Spain for anxiety and you don't need a prescription for anti depressants generally) for GAD but it did absolutely nothing for me except make me really hungry,and I was living in a pretty hot climate where one tends to drink more water and eat less.
Now I am on only 50MG once or twice a day purely for nerve pain.I have only been taking it for a short time but it is definitely reducing the pain.

hanshan
11-07-15, 22:01
Hi Ricardo,

Pregabalin slows the release of excitatory neurotransmitters, which can variously cause convulsions, anxiety or nerve pain. I think it was tested for use for all three conditions right from the beginning, although the exact mode of action wasn't fully understood at first (it was designed as a GABA analogue, but found to be completely inactive at GABA sites).

Regardless of all that, I'm glad to hear that it's helpful for your nerve pain this time around.

Blinkyrocket
31-12-15, 01:23
If pregabalin activates the enzyme that converts glutamine/glutamate to GABA than maybe developing tolerance/not working just means the person has a specific defect in that enzyme or they don't have much glutamate in the first place? If tolerance doesn't develop for some people I don't see why it can't not develop for everyone if the reason WHY tolerance developed was discovered. Same thing with SSRI's not working for everyone, there's obviously a reason and if we looked into the reason we'd probably have a better understanding of how the brain works. Thankfully technology is allowing research methods to become much more satisfactory. Also, it can really surprise you what might be the thing that really helps with anxiety for some people, for example, ACE inhibitors (I think) could actually be used as anxiolytics because I saw a study showing somewhere that Angiotensin II is significantly anxiogenic.

hanshan
31-12-15, 10:59
Or instead of an ACE inhibitor, an angiotensin (AT) II receptor antagonist like candesartan or losartan. I asked my doctor for losartan as part of my blood pressure medication without mentioning why (it's also linked to, ahem, improved sexual function ...)

nedmcg
04-01-16, 11:00
I think I read somewhere there is a studied pregabalin therapeutic dose for anxiety has anyone read this as well as I cant remember where I saw it.

hanshan
04-01-16, 13:28
Some of the preliminary studies arrived at a figure of 400 mg per day for GAD. This means maximum benefit for most people. However, it's really a "one-size-fits-all" figure. Many people find that it works well at a lower dosage, whereas some need more (maximum of 600 mg per day). However, some people find it doesn't work for them - you just have to try it and see.

nedmcg
04-01-16, 15:11
Some of the preliminary studies arrived at a figure of 400 mg per day for GAD. This means maximum benefit for most people. However, it's really a "one-size-fits-all" figure. Many people find that it works well at a lower dosage, whereas some need more (maximum of 600 mg per day). However, some people find it doesn't work for them - you just have to try it and see.

Do you know if there is any literature to back this up online? all I could fine was http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2654626/

Lan69
04-01-16, 21:32
I was originally on 300mg but my new psychiatrist said that was a low dose for anxiety so increased me to 450mg. Overall this drug has gave me some of my life back. I now can eat ( too much), sleep and get out of the house. I've been on this dose since November. My psychiatrist said I could go up to 600mg but she is quite happy to leave me at 450mg for now

hanshan
05-01-16, 04:32
Here is a more recent review which could find no consistent dose-response relationship between 200 and 600 mg per day, indicating that it's a person by person thing within that range (and probably at lower doses).

Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2013; 9: 883–892.
Pregabalin for the treatment of generalized anxiety disorder: an update
David S Baldwin, Khalil Ajel, Vasilios G Masdrakis, Magda Nowak, and Rizwan Rafiq

“Dose-response relationships for antidepressants in the treatment of patients with GAD are not established, and for pregabalin, the evidence is mixed. Meta-analysis of the findings from randomized controlled trials found no evidence for a dose-response curve for daily dosages between 200–600 mg, although a 150 mg daily dosage was associated with a slower onset of efficacy. However, a dose-response effect was observed when comparing the lowest dose (150 mg/d) to the 200–600 mg dosing range. For the 150 mg/d dose of pregabalin, there was a somewhat lower short-term improvement in both the Hamilton Rating Scale for Anxiety (HAM-A) total score, and in the HAM-A sleep item. A post hoc analysis of the effects of pregabalin in reducing severity of psychological and physical anxiety symptoms indicates a 150 mg daily dosage may be suboptimal, whereas no dose-response effect was observed within a daily dosage range of between 300–600 mg.”

AdamE
05-01-16, 23:02
I think I'm really going to bring this up with my GP tomorrow. Do you think it might be too far of a jump without fully trying out Sertraline and Escatalopram first? I was a big baby and quit taking them do to the side effects when my already crazy anxiety issues were multiplied by 100.

benji80
05-01-16, 23:36
AdamE, you can ask your GP but without knowing how it works in the USA, I can't say whether or not you will get it. Here in the UK, pregablin is not prescribed without trying other meds first. I have however found it helpful. Whilst I am still not where I want to be, it has steadied the ship and I am in a much better place than I was.

sandie
08-01-16, 19:51
Some of you might have seen my thread about withdrawing from Mirtazapine/

I a aged 62 and until last September had never been on any ADs. Ten years ago I did have an anxiety episode for which I was prescribed Propanalol - which worked and I only took them for about 6 months.

Last year I had another episode which resulted in extreme anxiety and because I am now an asthmatic I cannot take Propanalol. Instead my GP prescribed Sertraline, initially at 50 mg and then upped two weeks later to 100 mg. Within 4 weeks of starting the Sert I was bouncing off the walls and suffering serious heightened anxiety.

My GP switched me to Mirtazapine - initially at 15 mg and then increased two weeks later to 30 mg. It completely destroyed what little sleep I enjoyed and further heightened my anxiety, so after 8 weeks I decided to withdraw. I reduced to 22.5 mg, then 15 mg, and I am now on 7,5 mg (since Christmas Day). I am now getting some sleep - it is not ideal, but far better than the 2-3 hours per night I existed on for many weeks.

While the situation which started my anxiety is beginning to resolve itself, I still have extreme anxiety. My GP has prescribed me 2 mg diazepam twice a day to take the edge off the anxiety as and when necessary. I realise that 2 mg is a small dose, but I do find them effective - and they calm me within 5-10 minutes. I do believe I am very sensitive to meds. I am very frugal with the Diaz. - only taking them when I feel desperate, mostly because I know my GP will not want me to become reliant on them and will eventually stop giving them to me.

I have had some days (like today), when I awake with that awful tight pressure on my chest, adrenaline churning somersaults in my stomach and this anxiety has continued throughout the day. Today has been very bad and has left me feeling very tense and with dreadful pains in my back.

I am seeing my GP on Monday and will have my husband with me for support. (He works away most of the time so I spend a lot of time on my own).

Both my husband and I have done quite a lot of research on Pregabalin and feel it MIGHT suit me - although I would want to start at the lowest possible dose.

I really would appreciate any comments about Pregabalin users' experiences and their thoughts about how useful Preg might for me.

Hopefully over the weekend I can get sufficient information to discuss this with my GP as a possible way forward for me.

I am due to start CBT next week, and hope that if I can get the meds right, this two-pronged approach might sort me out.

Thanks.

hanshan
26-07-16, 02:52
I'm just bumping this poll up as there may be people who have not seen it or voted.

Nella131
02-08-16, 13:19
Interesting to read this; I'd been considering trying pregabalin for my chronic GAD for months since it was first suggested as an option by a psychiatrist (several SSRI's, an SNRI, a tricyclic all had zero effect on my anxiety at best - and at worst gave me such terrible side effects including unbearable agitation and thoughts of harming myself that I had to come off them after 2-3 weeks - sertraline and paroxetine were the worst).

I have a history of anorexia so was worried about the risk of weight gain, but in the end decided it was worth a shot to give me a chance of finally finding something that might actually help...

3-4 weeks in, I'm on 50mg in morning and 100 at night - and I am definitely pleased with the improvement in my anxiety so far. It began having some noticeable effect in the first few days, which I wasn't expecting - and my sleep has significantly improved. I'm not taking zopiclone any more (I had been taking a low dose most nights before the pregabalin) as I don't feel that horrible somatic agitation and muscle tension/pounding heart that used to keep me awake, and I'm not waking up so many times in the night (only about 3 times, as opposed to every hour!)

I'm still feeling some anxiety (quite bad at times still) but the main thing is that I've actually experienced some periods of relaxation (what is this new lovely sense of calm and peace?!!) at home in the evenings, and I have definitely felt a lot less anxious/on edge/panicky in situations that had been continually wearing - eg walking along busy roads, shopping etc.

I'm hoping that having just recently gone up to the 150mg a day that there will still be some further improvement... (or is that too much to ask for..I am still a bit worried about forming a tolerance to it)

Side effects: well so far my weight has stayed exactly the same, so that is a relief! There are some effects I'm not keen on - headaches, some slight dizziness and sedated feeling (not that that's a bad thing at night) - and a weird pins and needles/crawling sensation in my face and hands sometimes (I've had that before with anxiety but not for ages).

One difficulty:I went to GP (not one I've seen before) with the pharmacy slip from my consultant, and they were VERY unhappy with my having been prescribed it... Kicked up such a fuss, said they would never prescribe it at their practice, and made me feel like some addict who had bought it online!

Consultant reassured me and said he would intervene: went back and saw my usual doctor who turned out to be absolutely fine with it. No problems at all - but it gave me a bit of a panic.

Hope this is helpful anyway to add to the discussion; I haven't posted on here before but have found the forums very helpful to read :)

hanshan
03-08-16, 02:59
Hi Nella131

Thanks for your post, and welcome to NMP. Yes, it's very useful to read of your experiences starting pregabalin. I'm so sorry to hear of your trouble with the GP, but it's good to hear that you were able to get it sorted out with help of the consultant. Hopefully your side effects will fade and you will see continued improvement with pregabalin. My best wishes to you.

Nella131
03-08-16, 07:38
Thank you hanshan - appreciate your welcome : )

flipp
04-08-16, 06:12
I was on pregabalin for a back problem,ended up only taking it for two weeks,it combined with the Avanza made me dizzy and restless legs so I stopped taking it.

Pete_uk
08-08-16, 04:10
I'm on I think 150 mg as I've just started. I think its done something but I'm not sure if its drugs or my situation.

shiznit76
08-08-16, 13:36
im on 150mg/day after titrating up from 25mg/day. It has been good, but last few days I seem to have slipped back. will go see doc if I can up dose

hanshan
05-04-17, 13:30
I'm bumping this poll up again, as there may be people who have not seen it.