PDA

View Full Version : Amitriptyline 175mg

neowallace
27-09-13, 15:04
Hi there,

I am wondering if anyone takes 175 mg Amitriptyline daily? I currently take this dose and have been on it for around 9 months. The difficulty I have is normally I would take the 175mg at night and have a heavy sleep but wake in the morning feeling terrible like a hangover. My psychiatrist suggested splitting the dose so I am wondering if anyone has had success or positive results doing this?

:unsure:

Best wishes to everyone on the website....:winks:

Mark13
28-09-13, 01:00
I'm only on a low dose but I found 50mg was too much at night and left me drowsy all next day - obviously you have a higher tolerance for this drug.

I now take 10mg with lunch and 25mg in the evening which works much better, but I do take 15mg of mirtazapine too to help me sleep.

yenool
28-09-13, 08:42
175mg is a pretty big dose, no wonder you feel hungover in the mornings.

What time of day do you take it? I try to take mine about 6:30 - 7pm, that way I find the worst of the drowsiness is worn off by the time the morning comes.......... the downside is I feel sleepy and ready for bed very early on in the evenings.

I once tried splitting my dose and taking some in the morning but I felt quite 'drugged up' the whole day - however I was quite new to the medication at that point. It is certainly worth giving it a go - especially if you have anxiety as that might help calm it down.

neowallace
29-09-13, 20:32
Hi Mark13

Many thanks for your reply my friend. I am hoping to reduce my dosage as well. I have tried over the last few days splitting the dosage. I guess it is trial and error although I have been very up and down and not had positive results. I notice you are using ACT. I have the Happiness Trap book which I find very interesting. The only thing I get confused about is it seems to go against the general trend of other self help books using CBT and other ways of dealing with anxiety and depression. Have you had good results with ACT? Many thanks again...

---------- Post added at 20:32 ---------- Previous post was at 20:28 ----------

Hi Yenool

Many thanks for your kind reply. It is a large dose and hopefully I can reduce it soon. I think that your suggestion may work and is worth a try. I will keep you posted on any positive results. My shrink says it is trial error although when you feel spaced all day it is not good. Many thanks again and best wishes to you....

Mark13
30-09-13, 18:06
Hi Mark13

I notice you are using ACT. I have the Happiness Trap book which I find very interesting. The only thing I get confused about is it seems to go against the general trend of other self help books using CBT and other ways of dealing with anxiety and depression. Have you had good results with ACT? Many thanks again...

That's the very book I'm reading on my Kindle and Kindle phone app.

TBH I'm a bit lazy with these things, I get started then easily distracted by day to day living.

I'm feeling OK on Amitrip. so now's the best time to get on with reading it. I find when I'm feeling really bad only prescription drugs will do, but if I can learn from this book then all the better for the future.

I just found CBT re-focussed my anxiety in that I stopped fretting about the future so much and started obsessing over past events :ohmy:

So, acceptance therapy sounds good to me if only I can push myself to read the thing :)