PDA

View Full Version : If I started meds now, would I feel better by Feb?

jayjoe18
28-09-13, 17:42
Really stupid question I know but I'm very worried about what I'm going to do with regards to an upcoming holiday (as you may know from my previous posts) I was going to start medication anyway as I've had enough of my anxiety (7-8 long years of it).

I have basically until Monday (and that's pushing it but the travel agents shut on Sunday) to make my decision to be added onto the holiday. I should add it's to Mexico for a week. When I was 17 I was able to overcome my anxiety and go to New York/Florida but it was very difficult to get me there and I was forced basically to go. I was absolutely fine though once I got there and had the best time. But, as with anxiety, that doesn't stop me worrying again. It's been 3 years since that holiday and my anxiety has only gotten worse.

So my question is as the title says; if I start up on medication (hopefully Lexapro/Escitalopram) next week, will I have enough time to start to feel better and well enough to go on holiday in February 2014?

I know they take 4-6 weeks to start working, but that's start not you will be completely well again in 4-6 weeks.

So, roughly, how long before you start to feel recovered and able to do 'normal' things again without anxiety? And does the amount of time you have suffered anxiety make a difference to the recovery time?

I know it varies between each person but it would be really helpful right now for just a rough idea or to hear other people's experiences.

I litterally feel at breaking point and don't know what to do for the best.

Please help.

debs71
28-09-13, 17:57
Hi,

I would be so bold as to say 'yes, you will feel better by then'.

I started Escitalopram (Cipralex) years ago (20mg) and it went like this for me:

I started the meds and initially felt immediately better in myself. My depression lessened and my anxiety decreased slightly, but I lacked appetite and felt nauseous. Also quite sleepy. That was in the first few days-week.

Weeks 2-3 I felt slightly worse - very edgy, tearful, anxious and still no appetite and nauseous. Just wanted to stay at home, but was able to get up and function.

Week 3-4 - less nausea and WAY better than I was before. That is when the benefits of the meds truly started to kick in. Felt million times better and was doing stuff normally, getting out and about, etc.

I would say that once I was into week 3, THAT is when I felt more myself - not 100% - but certainly more able to function and do the things everyone does, like take a shower, wash my hair, and my brain felt much less addled and confused as it had been with the anxiety and panic.

A good month is when I really felt better, but bear in mind that it DOES depend on other factors:

- Whether the particular drug is the right one for you, and sometimes it takes more than one to try.

- What the dose is. If they start you at a low dose, it may take an increase before you feel better, or they may see that you can manage with the low dose, so that can be trial and error - finding the right dosage for you.

It is hard to say that you will feel 100% better. I never like to say that as for me, my better is when I can just do normal life stuff without that nagging anxiety and terror lurking in my head, but your 100% may be a different thing, so hard to say, but I would hasten a guess that starting now is a good place to start until your planned trip in Feb 14 to get you back to as good as you can be personally.

All the best.x:hugs:

venusbluejeans
28-09-13, 18:02
I'm afraid it is very difficult to say how your body is going to react to medication.

Some people do not take to medication at all and it takes a few different medications to find one that suits you.

If you found a medication that suits you then yes hopefully you would feel 'better' by then but you can not just take the medication and expect it to make you completely 'better'.

Medication is a crutch while you change your thinking and learn how to deal with your anxiety...I was on Citalopram for over a year which did make me 'better' in a way, it made things easier to deal with while I changed my thinking.

Sorry I am waffling but yes hopefully you will feel a lot better by then (if you find a suitable medication) but do not rely on the meds alone as that just masks the anx and does not get to the cause of the anxiety.

Sparkle1984
29-09-13, 13:34
If the first meds you try work, then yes I'd say there is a good chance you'd feel better in time for your holiday in February.

The first time I went on meds was mid August last year, and towards the end of September I went on a weekend break to London with a friend. I didn't feel 100% by then, but I'd say I felt 95% well and I enjoyed the weekend. It was by the end of October that I felt back to my usual self, so it was about 11 or 12 weeks in all.

I'm not sure if the length of time you've had anxiety will affect the recovery time with meds. My anxiety comes in episodes so it's hard to tell. I have heard that the longer you've had anxiety, the more therapy sessions you'll need, but I'm not sure if the same is true for meds.

xvolatileheart
30-09-13, 11:22
When do you plan on starting the meds? I am thinking about taking my first pill tonight but I'm petrified. I honestly think I will have a mental breakdown about it.

Speranza
30-09-13, 11:23
If the meds suit, yes. If they don't, you still have chance to try something else and be beginning to feel much better by then. Go for it.

Rennie1989
30-09-13, 11:35
Different people react different to medication, my initial side effects often subsided within two weeks whereas others I know needed two months. So for that reason it's hard to know whether you'll be 'better' by February.

What do you mean by 'better' anyway?

jayjoe18
30-09-13, 16:50
Hi,

I would be so bold as to say 'yes, you will feel better by then'.

I started Escitalopram (Cipralex) years ago (20mg) and it went like this for me:

I started the meds and initially felt immediately better in myself. My depression lessened and my anxiety decreased slightly, but I lacked appetite and felt nauseous. Also quite sleepy. That was in the first few days-week.

Weeks 2-3 I felt slightly worse - very edgy, tearful, anxious and still no appetite and nauseous. Just wanted to stay at home, but was able to get up and function.

Week 3-4 - less nausea and WAY better than I was before. That is when the benefits of the meds truly started to kick in. Felt million times better and was doing stuff normally, getting out and about, etc.

I would say that once I was into week 3, THAT is when I felt more myself - not 100% - but certainly more able to function and do the things everyone does, like take a shower, wash my hair, and my brain felt much less addled and confused as it had been with the anxiety and panic.

A good month is when I really felt better, but bear in mind that it DOES depend on other factors:

- Whether the particular drug is the right one for you, and sometimes it takes more than one to try.

- What the dose is. If they start you at a low dose, it may take an increase before you feel better, or they may see that you can manage with the low dose, so that can be trial and error - finding the right dosage for you.

It is hard to say that you will feel 100% better. I never like to say that as for me, my better is when I can just do normal life stuff without that nagging anxiety and terror lurking in my head, but your 100% may be a different thing, so hard to say, but I would hasten a guess that starting now is a good place to start until your planned trip in Feb 14 to get you back to as good as you can be personally.

All the best.x:hugs:

Thank you so much debs that's really really helpful to read your experiences week by week, I'm glad they have worked for you, I just hope I'm OK on them too! x

I'm afraid it is very difficult to say how your body is going to react to medication.

Some people do not take to medication at all and it takes a few different medications to find one that suits you.

If you found a medication that suits you then yes hopefully you would feel 'better' by then but you can not just take the medication and expect it to make you completely 'better'.

Medication is a crutch while you change your thinking and learn how to deal with your anxiety...I was on Citalopram for over a year which did make me 'better' in a way, it made things easier to deal with while I changed my thinking.

Sorry I am waffling but yes hopefully you will feel a lot better by then (if you find a suitable medication) but do not rely on the meds alone as that just masks the anx and does not get to the cause of the anxiety.

Thanks venusbluejeans for the advice, I understand that you need to put the work in too and I plan to do just that, but at the moment I struggle to even get to therapy so I'm hoping the meds will make it easier to focus and work on coping skills. I have also tried therapy many times now but it's never helped 100% so it's not been a quick decision to try meds. I just hope they work I need to get better :(

If the first meds you try work, then yes I'd say there is a good chance you'd feel better in time for your holiday in February.

The first time I went on meds was mid August last year, and towards the end of September I went on a weekend break to London with a friend. I didn't feel 100% by then, but I'd say I felt 95% well and I enjoyed the weekend. It was by the end of October that I felt back to my usual self, so it was about 11 or 12 weeks in all.

I'm not sure if the length of time you've had anxiety will affect the recovery time with meds. My anxiety comes in episodes so it's hard to tell. I have heard that the longer you've had anxiety, the more therapy sessions you'll need, but I'm not sure if the same is true for meds.

Thanks Sparkle, may I ask what anxiety you had before you took the meds back in August? I'm quite agoraphobic now due to my phobias and social anxiety so I'm just wondering if the meds will help me get out and about again easily in this time scale?

When do you plan on starting the meds? I am thinking about taking my first pill tonight but I'm petrified. I honestly think I will have a mental breakdown about it.

Hey xvolatileheart, I don't yet have a prescription but I'm going to see my doctor next Tuesday (she only works 1 day a week and I can't make tomorrow sadly) so if all goes well I should be starting them next week. I am absolutely petrified too but I know I have no other option now! I'm happy to message you throughout the startup if you want as we will be going through it around the same time? Let me know! x

If the meds suit, yes. If they don't, you still have chance to try something else and be beginning to feel much better by then. Go for it.

Thank you Speranza, that's motivated me :) I just want to do it now but have to wait until next week!

Different people react different to medication, my initial side effects often subsided within two weeks whereas others I know needed two months. So for that reason it's hard to know whether you'll be 'better' by February.

What do you mean by 'better' anyway?

I actually don't know? I don't know how well I'll be able to recover in that time, I know this will be with me for life and I need to progress slowly and learn to manage it but in general I just want to be calm and be able to go out and do day to day things without being crippled with anxiety. I know I'll definitely have anxiety if I go, because it doesn't just go away, but I just hope to be able to manage it and be able to go or even just be able to cope on my own for a week without constant panic.

Volvoman50
30-09-13, 19:41
Yes the meds will help then at same time use CBT and/or mindfulness I am starting that again now know meds help but also need to change thinking which is the tougher bit but worth it in the end.

Sparkle1984
30-09-13, 21:55
My anxiety before I started the meds was mostly existential anxiety - basically I was getting lots of intrusive thoughts about my fear of death and dying. I also had lots of physical symptoms of anxiety too and felt moderately depressed. I didn't officially have agoraphobia but when I was at my worst I didn't really feel like going anywhere except work (and even that could be pretty exhausting). My anxiety tends to be free-floating, meaning it can crop up wherever I am and whatever I'm doing.

theharvestmouse
01-10-13, 07:38
I don't think anyone can answer this, that's the truth, there is no average, and everyone reacts differently to medication. There are so many other factors to recovering. If you start a recovery now then you are giving yourself every chance of getting better, good luck.