PDA

View Full Version : Does exercise help

Joe1976
28-09-13, 19:47
Has anyone tried exercising regularly to help with worry and anxiety. A lot of sites insist it helps. My head is constantly turning over worries it. Makes me tired all the time and at the moment apart from going to work I'm not doing much else. My social life is pretty not existent at the moment too x

debs71
28-09-13, 20:15
In my opinion, yes, it really does.

For me I find it does two things. Firstly, it is a big distraction from the anxiety. You can't really focus on how anxious you are feeling and feed those thoughts when you are focusing on exercising - I use an exercise bike and find my mind totally on cycling and not feeling crappy.

The second thing it does - and this is the physical thing - is it lifts and lightens the mood, because of the pumping endorphins after exercising. (the happy hormones)

I just find it helps basically because it helps direct the excess adrenaline and energy into something other than worrying and panic.

It is well worth a try.:yesyes:

Joe1976
28-09-13, 20:22
Thanks debs

debs71
28-09-13, 20:24
No probs, Joe.

I was up until recently a member of a local gym, and they luckily also had a small pool, and another thing I found REALLY helpful was swimming, as it not only gets the endorphins going, but it also is really, really relaxing.

It is amazing what a kick you get from having done even a little bit of exercise like that. You feel better within yourself and also proud of yourself for not just vegging out on the sofa.:)

Joe1976
28-09-13, 21:02
To be honest debs that's what I'm doing lazing around on the sofa when not at work. It just makes my mind work over time and over Annalise everything x

debs71
28-09-13, 21:07
I totally know how you feel. I am doing that too, and I am really trying not to at the moment, as it does the same for me. I just think and think myself into a stew, then into a panic.

I find if I am active or do something else like play a game on the internet or watch a film or anything else it moves the mind from the anxiety.

It is really hard to do though, but it does help.:hugs:

Joe1976
28-09-13, 21:10
I'm sure going to give it a go and reduce some of this worrying time
Thanks debs x

Tessar
28-09-13, 21:15
Any form of exercise helps me definitely. Once I get into the habit, I then really miss it if I can't get out for a walk or bike ride.

I'mdave27
28-09-13, 21:27
I think there is enough evidence to suggest that exercise does indeed help worry and anxiety , you don't even need an expert to advise you. Exercise releases feel good chemicals which helps mood but please remember if you are prone to depression or if it's hereditary you will still have worry and anxiety , it may not be as intense though. However , you could end up exercising and it could end up changing your life completely because let's be honest anything is possible , life is mystical. The only hard part is finding the motivation to get up and do some exercise..
Hmmm

Joe1976
28-09-13, 21:29
Yes it's the motivation that is needed. It's worth a try rather than sat comfort eating and getting fat

suki300
28-09-13, 21:43
The short answer is: Definitely!

I found running was really good. It was cheaper than joining a gym and although at the age of 36 I hadn't run before, I found it was a really effective way to help with my moods.

I joined a running group and there were lots of people like me who were just learning. It was great because I completed challenges. I completed my first 10k within six months and when the endorphins got going and I was out there - there were times it felt amazing. I would run up a hill none stop and look back and feel really pleased that I'd done it. I also started circuits and I was often the youngest - I thought it would be for people who were in perfect peak condition, but they were all sorts of shapes and sizes and different ages.

You find your energy levels go up and just being out in the fresh air. I hated cross country at school, so I thought I wouldn't be able to do it, but I found when I got into it I could do it - it was almost addictive.

Pilates is a nice relaxing class and great for anxiety because often when you're anxious your posture can be very bad and can cause some major aches - it taught me not to be hunched up - which I didn't realise I was doing and my body felt better.

Sadly, I've slipped into old ways, but I'm determined to start again because it really is good for the soul. I can recommend joining a group because you'll find lots of people who are a similar ability if you're not used to it. Then you get the social side - it's a good way to meet new friends. Everyone was very supportive.

Earlier in the year I got my first ever medal for one run and it was such a good feeling to get that (even though it wasn't an olympic gold!).

Even if you're not particularly fit, within a few weeks you'll find that changes and because you're breaking little barriers and challenges all the time, it does your confidence the world of good - you can feel on top of the world :)

Go for it!

Joe1976
29-09-13, 17:26
I was thinking of trying cycling or walking as I've never been a runner and hate going to the gym. I've had many gym memberships which end up been a waste of money