PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take before you initiate your urine flow?

skyisblue
29-09-13, 01:20
Ok im a guy and i just started worrying about this.

I noticed that after i feel the need to go, I go the toilet and when i take my thing out, it usually takes me 5 - 10 seconds before i start the flow. This happens even when I am alone.

I do not know if this has been going on since forever but because of HA, i just started giving attention to this now.

I asked a guy friend as well, and he told me that he experiences similar things.

I am only 23 and i do not know if this has something to do with the prostate since I am still young.

What is the normal time range of starting the flow?

It's not like we immediately gush it out always once we reach the toilet right?

hanshan
29-09-13, 05:39
I think most people take a few seconds to initiate a flow, so five to ten seconds is normal. It's one situation where we are trying to exert conscious control over largely unconscious muscles.

Some medications will slow you down, including codeine (in some pain killers and cough medicines). I think some antidepressants also slow down flow initiation.

If you think anxiety about urinating when others are present might be slowing you down (although you say it happens when you are alone), you might want to look at the website of the International Paruresis Association (it's US based, but there is also a UK website). This organisation deals specifically with urine flow inhibition caused by the presence of other people.

Prostate growth might be a cause, so you should get it checked with your doctor. It's unlikely at your age, but best checked if you are worried.

skyisblue
29-09-13, 14:35
Thanks you, hanshan. How about you? How long does it take you to start the urination flow?

I don't know if this really counts as urinary hesitancy. I mean, I just worried about it recently as I mentioned. :( To be honest, I cannot anymore recall if I had to wait a few seconds before just to start the flow. That's how I didn't care about it before.

Sigh, this anxiety is killing me. Is it safe to say that one culprit behind this obsession on my urination is caused by my health anxiety?

hanshan
30-09-13, 13:10
It does sound like health anxiety, which in cases like this may actually affect the behaviour you are anxious about.

As with all health anxiety, you need to get the symptoms checked out by a doctor. If it comes back all clear and you are still anxious, you need to find psychological help.

I'm no authority to tell you how long a delay is normal, but I'd think five-ten seconds is normal for someone your age. A visit to your doctor will give you much better information. Bladder function varies considerably with age. A doctor will be able to advise you according to how old you are.

jared
05-10-13, 10:17
I can't pee in a public restroom unless I touch something cold and repeat some kind of words (such as the name on the urinal) if people are around. I also have to think good thoughts. When someone leaves and the door closes the urine flows. It's anxiety I think.

skyisblue
18-10-13, 14:12
Thanks jared and hanshan for replying. I apologize for the delayed response.

Well, basically I've been a bit over now this urination thing as I found something else to worry about. God, I am so pathetic! It's always one thing after another!

I do try to be rational about this whole urination thing all throughout. I keep telling myself that it is all different for each and everyone of us. I try to remember the time when I did not have to worry about this at all and it might have always been this way ever since.

I really hope to find some professional help regarding my health anxiety. It's just so terrible to cope with this everyday!

If anybody else would like to share their thoughts on this, I'd be glad to hear them.

Rennie1989
18-10-13, 14:47
Seeing the amount of times my husband urinates when I'm trying to have a bath it takes him about that long to start a flow. I'm pretty sure it happens to all blokes, but not being a bloke myself I'm only assuming.

I recommend asking your doctor for CBT regarding your health anxiety, it is a very effective treatment.